iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Agkrane

Started by tyb525, August 15, 2009, 02:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

This looks interesting..

The MSL-072LT 2,500# on the forks, 4-7,000# on the lifting lugs. Uses standard 3pt hitch, would fit the tractor we have as it is designed for 40-120 hp tractors.

$3,000. Would a skid steer be better for lifting/moving logs?

http://www.agkrane.com/the-kranes/
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Reddog

Ty, another option is to keep a look out for a fork truck hoist that has been made to fit the 3 point. That way the load is close to the tractor as you go up or down.
Orchards use them alot. Both on the front or the back of the tractor.
Skid steers are handy, but you already have the tractor.

jeffreythree

I was pointed towards these 3 point fork attachments on another site while discussing what type of equipment(need 1 do it all machine) I should get for my property and pond:
2600lbs:
http://www.best-used-tractors.com/fork_lifts.html
and 5500lbs:
http://www.equipmentland.com/products/mds/palletfork/high_lift_pallet_fork.shtml
I wasn't to sure about 5500lbs hanging off the back of a tractor, though.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

sjfarkas

That thing looks good, but I'd bet without a big tractor it'll never lift what they say.  I'm a skid steer guy.  I have a bobcat track machine and I think it is 100 times more versatile than a tractor.  I manage a couple of apple ranches and we put more hours a year on our track machines than our farm tractors.  I also think for forestry they are great.  I've clearcut acres with just a bobcat track machine and chainsaws.  That's my 2 cents.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

tyb525

I was thinking of that to use for other things as well. I will probably get some forks though. Thanks for those links jeffrey, that 2600 one looks good. I might look at a skid steer when I have a steady job and am out of the house :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

tyb525
What tractor do you have, and are you thinking of forks on the loader in place of bucket? You can have some that fit both 3pt and loader too.

I'd find a skid steer handy (but not handy to get in and out of, as compared to on/off a tractor) for a lot of chores. However, when working alone, skidsteer not so handy. Hard (and dangerous) to position a load and then need to get off/out of the skidsteer to adjust something (roll a log off onto the mill, postion a bolster under a lumber stack, etc.).

And making do with what you have is another consideration.

A tool like Bibbyman has (Terex) would be a good combination for having a grip on both worlds. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

I have an IH 656 from the early 70's. It's a narrow front, so I think it would be too unsteady with a bucket. Yes, a terex would be wonderful, but for now I have to make do with what I already have.

I already have a home-made crane attachment, but that is really only good for skidding logs with a chain as one end can be lifted up. It's hard to get the log balanced if you pick it up in the middle to try to put it on the mill, and its nearly impossible to put them in any kind of stack with it.

Reddog

With it being a narrow front, I think this would be a good option for stability.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi6Fr_t_Kc8

beenthere

You do, or don't, have a loader now?

Jander3 is moving logs with an Oliver, narrow front, and loader with bucket.

Does the IH have a regular 3pt, or the 2pt version IH had for some time?   A 3pt with a hyd. ram for a top arm would give you a lot of flexibility with a fork arrangement (if you don't have a loader now).

Also, picking a log up at two points instead of one will give you more control with your present setup (if you have enough weight on the front end).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

I don't currently have a front-end loader. It is the 2pt with a top connecting link. It is currently a screw-type, but can be replaced with a hydraulic ram linkage.

There is plenty of weight up front, I never have problems with that except when skidding very long, heavy longs, which I rarely do anyways.

I just figured the forks on the back would be cheaper than buying a front loader assembly, and I am still weary about lifting something heavy with a narrow-front.

What Reddog posted looks like something I would be interested in.

beenthere

I don't see the narrow front being an issue (only enough weight on the front is) when carrying a load on the rear. Your rear tires will keep the load from tipping.
south central Wisconsin

zopi

yeah..that thing is going to want alot of counterweight up front..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Corley5

If you're careful a loader on a narrow front tractor is fine.  Carry the load low and be extra careful on uneven ground.  We've moved LOTS of logs with narrow front H Farmalls with front loaders  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tyb525

Thanks corely, its good to know it has been done before. But if I wind up getting something it will probably be the forks on the back, that way I don't need to get a front loader assembly that I don't already have.

Hilltop366

looks like a trip to the forklift bone yard is in order, with a little bit of work you could save lots of  $$,
and get all the parts you can like valves & hose etc.
that would be my idea.

Fla._Deadheader

Didn't Shopteacher, and Norm & Patty, both have forklift type units for sale ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shinnlinger

I'm with Hilltop.  I would try to find a forklift with a blown engine and remove the rear wheels and configure to fit back of the tractor and run PTO to the hydro pump.

Keep the front wheels of the forklift because it will add alot of stability.  More than one tractor has flipped over with a load raised too high on a 3 pt forklift mast setup.

I would NOT put an FEL on a narrow front tractor.  THere are countless examples where they have flipped  and killed.  NOt worth the risk .
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

sjfarkas

Get by with what you have and then when you get a steady job go with a bobcat T300 or T320.  The T320 will be handy if highflow hydraulics is important to you because it has the extra horsepower to keep things moving.  The T300 is still a great machine and the high flow works on it just not as good.  With a skidsteer get a rootgrapple.  You can load logs onto a mill or on and off trailers pack stumps move rocks and when you get good enough with the controls you can even use it as a rake.  If you do a lot of logging you should look into a rotating grapple with a winch.  I have my sights on one of those.  The attachment options are endless just look at skidsteer solutions, quickattach or bobcat and you can see just about anything evermade for them.  If for some reason you get a front loader for your tractor you can get a quick attach plate for the loader so you could start getting the skidsteer attachments and use them on the tractor in the mean time.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Corley5

You might also consider getting a wide front for your tractor.  Nice ones for less than a grand can be had at any tractor salvage yard.

Countless skidders, skidsteers, forklifts etc etc have also flipped and killed their operators.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

nas

My experience with skidsteers is that they are great on dry solid ground.  But they are rough to drive and make a mess in soft ground, more than a tractor, because of the way they turn.  Tracked machines are a little better but not as much as you might think.  Also if you want to go anywhere in a skidsteer they are painfully slow on the road.  I think if you need to get logs on the mill, and move lumber around, a set of 3ph forks will get you by 'till you can save up for a front end loader.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Woodhog

If you have a lot of work to do with it and some day your neck is sore you wont like to too much...like when you are plowing a field all day...so much easier to be facing the front...

Thank You Sponsors!