iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

is it worth buying a sawmill

Started by jimmy, September 06, 2003, 05:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy

i recently purchased a 40 acre plot of land that is loaded with large white and red oak. would it be worth purchasing a sawmill to buzz these trees down mysef on my spare time?    or have somebody come in and buy the standing lumber?

woodbeard

That's a very relative question. See if you can find someone with a sawmill who will let you help for a day. Then ask yourself the quesion again.

Ron Wenrich

If you're just doing this to get rid of the big oak, then I think you would be further ahead to let someone come in and professionally do the removal.

Large oak can be worth a good deal of money, especially if they are veneer quality.  You would be cutting that veneer into lumber and getting a lower price with added labor.  Not a good business deal.

Then, you have a pile of lumber you must be able to market (assuming that you processed it according to specs).  If you sell to the local market, you may have a time before you get it all sold.

If you have a burning desire to get a mill, then use the proceeds of a timber sale to buy the needed equipment, preferably used.  You may even have the logger leave a few logs so you have something to get started with.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

D._Frederick

If an old timer left the trees grow and it is sold, the first thing the new owner does it cut down all the tree. This is whats going on around me, now the water table is dropping.

beenthere

Might be hard to blame the water table just on the cutting of trees. If the area is left in trees (young trees growing in place of the old), I doubt the water table would be affected for any appreciable time. If the area is cleared off and either replace with houses or a big parking lot, then the water table may be permanently affected. (IMO)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gus

jimmy,
I have no idea what knowledge base your working from so I'll start basic assuming you have none or very little.
You may start by hiring a private forester. Have him take a look at the timber and get a general feel for what grade of timber it is. If you are interested in the long term aspect of having a healthy forest you will want to cut the rag wood out leaving the healthy trees to market in the future. some of the older trees will be ready to market now and you'll get some sawlogs but many of the trees will be dead in the center  or crooked and will produce nothing more than firewood with the occasional sawlog.
If you approach your timber in this way you can kinda grow into the knowledge base you need to eventually begin sawing on your own.
I know from experience that with the right experience and equipment, cutting and skidding to the landing is easy. Finding the right markets is many time the tough part. It took me 5 years to develop my own markets when I started my logging business.
I'm no sawyer but I been around enough mills to know that sawing lumber that is sutable to sell to the general public or to fill a contractors specific niche is not that easy. You may be better off just cleaning your stand of timber of the more undesireable trees and, if you have the capital, buy a mill and saw the occasional sawlog for your own use and maybe sell some lumber.
Again, much of what you do depends on your motives or whether this piece of ground is a long term investment for you or merely a way to make some quick cash.

Good Luck,
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Gus

YIKES, I didn't mean for that to be a diatribe :-X
You can delete it if you want.
Gus

Fla._Deadheader

Why delete it??? I thought it was VERY good insight ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

I agree FlaD, very good post SDSaw. Elec. Al was over yesterday and we were talking about the cost of owning a bandsaw mill. He put it in perspective when I was saying we don't saw much but really enjoy it and besides we plan on keeping it forever. He said when you think about it you probably spent around a $1000.00 a year if you keep it for 25-30 years. Now I know I piddle away more money than that on eating out or other hobbies I have. For me I always wanted to own a sawmill and have had a lot of fun with it. I didn't buy it to make money with just to utilize the wood growing on our farm and make a little money on the side with. We will sell the veneer quality trees and saw up ones that no commercial sawmill would take and still get lots of good lumber for our own use and the occasional sale. One thing thou is we already owned much of the equipment to harvest our own trees with. If you have no experience in felling and don't own a decent size tractor it's best to have a logger come in and do the harvesting.

I guess I could of just shortened this to "yeah buy the mill" :D

Percy

Hey Jimmy
These are all very good responses to your question...my 2 bits is if you are hangin out here, chances are you WANT a mill and thats great.  8)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ARKANSAWYER

Jimmy,
  I live by several large lakes and many rivers.  There are several boat builders in the area that build several nice high dollar boats.   I know of several people who buy a $20 grand boat that sees the water about 4 times a year.  They pay insurance and tags plus up keep and could rent one for a 1/4 of the money.   We have people who tow them 500 miles to get here once a year and the rest of the time they just sit in the drive way.
  Now why can't a man do the same with a sawmill?   What I would do if I were you is find a mill for hire and fell me a tree or two and have them sawed up.   It will give you a pretty good education and you may get some good insight.  WARNING!  you may ingest some sawdust and get sawdustus sawmillidas.  Which means you will buy a mill and forsake many other things for a spell.
  Take a vacation to God's Country and spend a few days with me and you will get a good education in Sawmilling 101.  Just a thought.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Ianab

Gotta agree with Arky on this one
You can look at buying a sawmill as a purely business idea...
and it may or may not work out.
Way I look at it is... I've spent $6k NZ on a good s/h sawmill.

A good fishing boat would have cost me twice as much...
Now the mill may not make a fortune, but I've had a lot of fun learning about sawing and I'm getting some usefull timber for various projects.
I think it was summed up by an earlier poster... why buy a mill?... Cos you want one and you can afford the payments..
I guess that is the ultimate test ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Don'T forget the other most important part of owning a mill. The resale value will remain high. There is very little depreciation on sawmills, new OR used.
   First, it is ridiculed;

EZ

Just the other day, I had a customer ask me how I ever got into this kind of business. I told him that my first words were, I want to be a sawyer. ;D
EZ

oldsaw

A sawmill is a big, loud, cool, "look at me", "lookit that board wudja" kind of toy...er, tool.

I hadn't thought of buying a bandmill for a good two or three days now.  On my way home from my appointed rounds, I saw a guy pulling out from Front Street in KC onto I-435 with a new Timber King 1600.  That was 4 hours ago and I still have the itchies about it.  

Must..hold...out..one...more...year......aaaarrgghhh!!!

As someone else said...try it, you certainly won't lose much, and could just find a new hobby.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Tom

You live next to Timber King?  Man, I'de hanging around their show room every evening. :)

Gus

I been lookin' real hard at the TimberKing myseff'.  :P Look like a good solid outfit. ;)

Gus

D._Frederick

If you want a long lasting "HOBBY" or saw to make a few extra $ , then a mill should be looked at. If you have never worked around a sawmill or watch a mill saw, you may be in for a surprice, it requires a lot of manual labor and there is rather a long learning "curve". You will regularly be lifting a 100lbs., and you will have a lot of fire wood and ruined $25 blades until you figure out what you are doing.

oldsaw

appealing to me.  I need the exercise and I have a 9 year old who will be 10 by the time this goes down to be an off-loader.  He needs more contact with his "manly" side.  Right now he is just "boy genius", he needs exercise, I have to lose a few pounds too.

8)

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Bigdogpc

My two cents...I bought a Timberking 1220 based on 31 "FREE" trees.  Most of the trees are still standing but a few have been cut and sawed.  I had an eye on making money AND and eye on owning/running/working a sawmill.  I've had the mill a few days.  It is extremely physical work.  It is extremely satisfying work.  The problem for me will be to part with the lumber when all I can think of is the wonderful things than can be built with it!  It is great to be able to go cut exactly the board or beam you want or need.  The personal satisfaction level can't be priced but having your own stacks of lumber when you need them is a serious plus.

I have made no money yet but I have made some decent lumber...I go home dog tired and I believe I may have lost a few pounds already.  Sawmilling is GREAT!

Fla._Deadheader

C'mon, Bigdog. Where's them pics??? We wanna see them neat, pretty, stickered stacks yer braggin on ;D ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!