iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fun in da U.P. tonight OR Was that a weasel?

Started by Jeff, August 15, 2009, 12:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WildDog

He can surely move...We don't get weavels down under, only escaped ferrets. When I was 13 my uncle had a Wildlife Park, one of his imported Palm Squirels got loose and shot about the place like that little fellow.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

In the summer months it was very common to see a weasel in the potato sheds hunting mice. We had a small stream nearby and they travel up those like mink. But, it sure was nice to see a weasel come and clean out the mice. They would go into a bin petition and climb up the support beams almost as quick as you could look up. They were 20 foot high bin walls to the top floor. Fast little beggars for sure.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

--Homer Simpson
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chuck White

Weasels are generally fun to watch, but they also have a "down side" too!  ;)

Weasels will clean out a chicken coop and put you out of the egg business!  ::)
They also have scent glands that will emit foul odors like a skunk, only nowhere near as strong as the skunk!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Since Jeff is in the UP, I assume he's around a camp. The only weasel I seen in a camp was stuffed and mounted. Well, it was after all in a guide outfitter camp. The owner was also a trapper, my grandfather. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Like the Budweiser commercial said, "Don't hire a ferret to do a weasel's job!"
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I needed a handsaw so I went in the shed to get it. There was a ruckus in the corner and  I saw the minnow trap move. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NUaL795fpE

Chuck White

I caught a chipmunk in a minnow trap a couple of years ago!

I had the trap assembled and hanging on a nail in the garage and one morning I went out, opened the garage door and the rucus started.
I took him outside and let him go!

Now the minnow trap hangs on the same nail, only it's taken apart!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dan_Shade

that's a cute little bugger, Jeff, but I'm sure your grandma woulda fanned your tail for turning a weasel loose!

(I'd a turned him loose too)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Actually, I never got a chance to turn the little guy loose and blew a good photo op at the same time.  I shut the camera off, where you see the video end, to go get a pair of gloves, JUST IN CASE :D. I sat the camera down and turned towards the cabin. As I did, the weasel extricated himself and beat me to the porch. He turned for an instant, stood on his hind feet, sort of wagged both front paws, then turned and burned out off the porch and around the cabin, leaving me with just a smile. :)

I think this was the male, and the first weasel from the earlier video, a smaller female.

SwampDonkey

I placed a sticky trap in the basement by the flu about 2 weeks ago. I ain't seen the chipmunk nor the sticky trap since. Now for that nut rob'n red squirrel.  ::)

Jeff

Reddog

Jeff

:D

Lets just say, Pete wins, and the photo was easy to stage.   Poor Willie. :'(

Reddog

SwampDonkey

I was eating lunch in the car the other day and one was working a nearby brush pile for mice.

Burlkraft

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 13, 2009, 04:21:01 AM
I was eating lunch in the car the other day and one was working a nearby brush pile for mice.

You didn't share a sammich with him?
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Roxie

Say when

Jeff

No, Pete is the setter of traps to rid the sheds of nuisance and destructive pine squirrels. Poor Willie was collateral damage.

Roxie

Say when

beenthere

Willie wasn't keepin up with the pests, so Pete hadda step in.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

A pine martin would solve that squirrel problem. Out west in logging camp, we had a pool hall that the cook staff would leave a plate of snacks in on a table. Those darn pine martin would steal the whole plate full. One morning a fellow left a window down in his pickup and his lunch sack in the back seat. He came back and climbed in the truck to drive off to work and a martin had gotten into his lunch sack. He came out of the sack and did some moving to get out that open window to safety. The driver was a bit surprised to. :D

WH_Conley

Bill

Thank You Sponsors!