iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who will own farmland in the future?

Started by jrdwyer, August 14, 2009, 04:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonhill

Depends on how many "some people" is.  Just one cow?  How about a bull for continuance, that ups the acreage.  Climate, and other factors......

What do you do with a sassy goat or sheep?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

ARKANSAWYER

We put them in little white packages and hold them in the freezer.
ARKANSAWYER

stonebroke

And I bet they taste good too.

Stonebroke

sjfarkas

It's getting late here so if my mind wanders, well it wanders.  I am a farmer by day and in California for that matter.  The water is going to be the fight.  Since our population has increased and the hippy enviros want more back and then the drought we're in they take it from Ag.  90% of the worlds almonds come from the San Joaquin Valley and over 75% of the nations lettuce comes from Fresno County alone.  California produces such a high percentage of our Nations food and the water is deemed better served for people to drink, flush toilets and water lawns than grow our nations food.  No one sees the writing on the wall.  The enviros in California are going to screw up our nations food supply. Then we'll have to outsource our oil, timber and food.  I hope this rambling makes sense to at least one person.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

DanG

SJ, it makes a pisspot full of sense to me.  But, in the inimatable words of the whore, Sean Hannity, "Let not your heart be troubled."  It is true that a lot of food is produced in your State, but we will not starve for the lack of lettuce or almonds.  There are always grits and collards! ;D 8) 8)  Seriously though, the destruction of a local agricultural economy is strictly an economic issue at this point in the game.  We are several years out from the famine stage of Obama's plan, and we should be well rid of him before that happens.  Take heart in the fact that he is a moron.

Caveat:  I don't know if anyone has noticed or even cares, but since my recent heart attack, I have found it increasingly difficult to mince my words, as has always been my practice.  I hope that you all will forgive me for simply speaking my mind. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

That must be quite the whore Dang. Ooops  :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moonhill

This is a test, please stand by...

jrdwyer

Some great responses to this post.

World population control is definitely the big issue that will have to someday be addressed.

sjfarkas, it seems so simple to just ban watering lawns and limiting washing cars everywhere in CA and use the water for food production. Green grass in the summer when CA bakes or enough food to feed the nation, I'll take the latter.

Speaking of CA foods, I have started to supplement my diet with English walnuts for the cholesterol reducing effects. My first blood test ever to check such things occurred recently and although my LDL/HDL ratio was deemed a "less than average risk", my LDL (bad) and HDL (good) numbers were both high. I will be eating more oatmeal for breakfast and using olive oil in salads. My wife and I have also gotten very used to eating the convenient "Fresh Express" brand CA leaf spinach instead of iceberg lettuce for salads. Tomatoes come from the home garden, when in season.

gemniii

Quote from: sjfarkas on September 03, 2009, 02:15:23 AM90% of the worlds almonds come from the San Joaquin Valley and over 75% of the nations lettuce comes from Fresno County alone.
And probably 100% of the world does not REQUIRE almonds and 50% of the nation could grow their own lettuce or do with something else.
To the OP:
Who will own farmland in the future?
The smart.
Corporations and govt will try to take it over.  However corporations usually have share holders.  Often it only takes a few bad quarters and they decide to bail.
Barring a major war or depression land ownership changes hands gradually.  In our recent recession I really only was able to pick up about 20 acres from a relative for a discount.  Houses were going for firesale prices but land has held up moderately well in my area of interest.
To me the real danger is people mortgaging their future and their childrens future for present pleasure.  And then the note is sold to a foreign govt.  Now whatever real estate they have can pass to the lender.
And whatever they grow on it will make money for the lender.  And you worried about lead in Chinese toys.
So the smart will own the land.  Presently that makes it look like alot of the farmland will be owned by the lender 
In May 2009, the US owed China $772 billion.
In effect, every person in the (rich) United States has over the past 10 years or so borrowed about $4,000 from someone in the (poor) People's Republic of China.
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200801/fallows-chinese-dollars
In my neck of the woods that's 2 to 4 acres.

So I've got nothing against the Chinese or the Amish.  But if your not among the smart you probably won't be owning land except by inheritance.

SwampDonkey

Corporations own just enough land to meet their short term needs. It's the same in forestry as in farming. If the forestry companies depended entirely on free hold lands then they would have been moth balled around here decades ago. If McCain's owned all the land then they would not be able to beat the farmers on prices, and steal their 20 % back they gave them on price increase or not honor a delivery schedule so a producer has a chance to meet it. Right now some farmers have to hold onto produce a whole year before it's moved and kept in cool storage and hope they don't loose grade by the time the powers that be ask for them to deliver at their whim. How can they loose?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cedarman

Until recently farmers could not take land that had been in governement programs and use an acre for truck crops.  If they did, the whole farm came out of the government program. These laws were put in place to protect the California and Florida growers.IMHO
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!