iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dirty boards

Started by Steve_M, August 14, 2009, 12:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_M

I have about 150ft of oak and walnut I want to run through my Woodmaster planer.  It has set in a barn for 20 years and has accumulated a lot of dirt and other stuff.  Can I wash this off with a garden hose before planning without causing moisture damage?  Any other ideas to help clean this up.  I have installed a set of old blades for the first pass.

Steve 
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

beenthere

Seems that the dust and dirt (like soil?) would only be on the top layers exposed, so blowing off with an air hose should be adequate.
Washing won't hurt the wood, but seems it would only serve to embed the resulting mud into the pores of the wood.

I'd just dust them...no water.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

A stiff street broom will work too.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ARKANSAWYER

Just wear out the plainer blades.  I have found that washing and blowing just works it deeper into any checking.  I have found that if I put the side that was up in the stack down the first pass when I plain some of it seems to shake out.
ARKANSAWYER

WDH

I use a steel brush and vigorously brush both sides of each board.   That seems to really help the planer blades.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Handy Andy

Sawdust sticks to my boards when sawing, and it doesn't fall off while handling, so when they are dry, seems like they have sawdust stuck to them.  I just sweep off with a broom before running through.  Doesn't seem to hurt anything, course I have the insert head in both the jointer and planer. Have found it helps to glue the knots to the board before sending them through, usually they have cracks or gaps between the knot and board, and I like to have them in place rather than have to fill knotholes.  Besides a knot flying around in the planer is what cracks my inserts.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

WDH

Sawdust sticks to my boards as well.  I sweep the sawdust off before stickering because that coating of sawdust slows down drying.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Look at jim king's post on white mold, there is a picture of the solution on there. ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Steve_M

I ended up taking a wire brush to it then ran it through the planner with a set of old blades.  Found some nice lumber under all the mess.

Steve
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

dail_h

Steve,
   If you have the sanding head for your Woodmaster,run through with that first. I run a lot of reclaimed barn wood with mine,and the sanding head works very wellto get surface dirt off
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

James P.

Steve , I think you did the right thing. going with old blades. Always hated to see that raised line of wood from a nick coming from the outfeed side on a newly sharpened set.You can  shift the blades but thats only temporary. Glad you got some nice lumber out of it.

Thank You Sponsors!