iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Urban job

Started by Magicman, August 12, 2009, 07:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Today's saw will be the typical urban job.  About 15 logs.  Cedar, cypress, cherry and pecan.  Folks are still gathering up stuff that was blown over during the last windstorm.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Nice whack of logs.

Cedar, cypress, and cherry are easy to saw.  That pecan is harder than hades  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JayG

I think it's GREAT people gather the logs and do something with them. Here in the city of Dallas, TX after a big storm, folks cut everything into little pieces, throw them on the curb and the city waste dept spends the next 6 weeks picking it all up and hauling it to a gigantic dump! Normally, just in time for the next storm! Looking forward to retiring (from this job) and joining a different mindset in the country. Getting my logging truck ('95 Ford F800), GN trailer and old W7 Case loader ready for country fun!

Magicman

Got it all done except that butt cut cypress.  It's canted up and ready to finish tomorrow.  Yup, that pecan was bad.  It had been down probably a year.... :(  This type of job goes  "hourly rate".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Quote from: Magicman on August 12, 2009, 09:54:31 PM
Yup, that pecan was bad.  It had been down probably a year.... :( 

Hard to dry too.  It wants to cup real bad.  It also makes sparks come off your planer blades and pecan dulls the blades in a heartbeat.  Pretty, though.....Sometimes pretty isn't the easiest to live with, though :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Back in my "furniture building" days, I used pecan to build bedroom suits, end tables, and clocks.  I had to destroy a grandfather clock that I was building.  That stuff is pretty, but it has a mind of it's own.  Oak, cherry, ash, and walnut were better for me.

WDH

Being a Forester and woodworker, I wanted to try each and every wood possible.  In my zeal to experiment with all these woods, I have discovered why we try to grow walnut, cherry, yellow poplar, maple, and the oaks.  I have also discovered why there is not a high grade market for sweetgum, elm, hackberry, sycamore, and other interesting woods with spiral grain  :).

While pecan is not a spiral grain wood, it is harder than rocks and it is the cup champion :D.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Magic nice looking job but they could do with a little more prep before you got there  ;) But then again Hourly's good pay either way mate  ;) :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on August 12, 2009, 07:37:54 AM
Today's saw will be the typical urban job.  About 15 logs.  Cedar, cypress, cherry and pecan.  Folks are still gathering up stuff that was blown over during the last windstorm.

Heck that is a good log deck. At least they are all in close proximity to each other. Sometimes it takes two or three site evaluations before they pass inspection. Then again, that is why I added the boom truck. I will deck logs for an hourly rate.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

I had told him to keep the largest logs off of the ground.....He did.  Those two larger cypress logs are the ones that I spun around with the "end tong".

On this job, I had to haul off the slabs.  Ha, I knew a guy that builds deer stands.  Everyone's happy..... :D :D :D

Quinn

Deer stands - great use for slabs.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but has anyone used slabs for a picket style fence?  I'm thinking about doing something like that.

- Marty
Logmaster LM4 - 51 hp CAT, 2" blade, fully hydraulic, computer setworks, cutting length of 26'.

backwoods sawyer

I got some horse people that I mill for that want me to make sure I take off enough on all sides so they can use them around there riding arena. They stand them up one right next to the other. They trim the knots tight before I mill the log so it gives a nice smooth surface. Apparently one of the riders had gotten a foot caught on an up right in the metal fence they had and just a bought ended his riding and after doing some research they found this method used quite a bit in Wyoming and Montana. They have stacks of unused lumber around but all the tailings are used up. Besides it gives the arena the "RUSTIC LOOK"

The list of uses for cedar edgings like that is long. Siding on a shed, flower boxes, fencing, flower bed boarders, compost bins, ect, ect. Good score on that load.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!