iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the Forum

Started by MemphisLogger, September 05, 2003, 11:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

Howdy Folks!

I just took the leap and joined this madness after a week of lurking. I've already learned alot from the archives and look forward to learning much more.

I'd love to put up a picture with my profile, but can't seem to figure out how--please help.

Thanks for having me!

:)

UrbanLogger  
aka Scott Banbury
Memphis, TN
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Bibbyman

Welcome UrbanLogger.  Nice web site.  Did you do the work your self?

Picture in your profile...  Let's see.  Get it less than 90 pixels wide and under 15K and upload it to the FF photo gallery then copy the address in the place where it tells you to on the profile and mark the box where it says something like supply my own picture.  May have to check that box to use your own photo before you can put the address in to the picture you want.

BTW - Great mill too! 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MemphisLogger

Thanks for the help and the welcome Bibbyman!
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Bibbyman

All right!  

I see you're going to be a problem maker already. Anyone that can finger out how to upload a picture and get it on their profile,  fill out their biography,  get their tree on the map AND use Smileys by their second post just ain't going to fit in here.

Jus' kiddin'   :D
Sawing since '94

MemphisLogger

I was born to make trouble!

(mainly for myself)

;D

biziedizie

I'm with Bibby, this guys gotta go. :D :D :D

Welcome aboard 8)

Hey is that your house behind them trees???

Steve

shopteacher

Welcome aboard glad to have another to sqawk at. Who's the cute thing next to the log in your profile picture?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

MemphisLogger

I wish that was my house  ::)

It's actually our local high-dollar college and the log next to my mill was my first paid job--1300 bdft of quarter and rift red oak out of one log  8)

The wood was dried and milled for the floors of an addition that stands where the tree once did.h

The young lady in my picture is my daughter and number one endcoater. She makes sure I have the prettiest logs in town. ;)

Anyhoo, thanks for all the welcomings. I'm glad to be in such good, if nefarious, company.       ;D

shopteacher

QuoteAnyhoo, thanks for all the welcomings. I'm glad to be in such good, if nefarious, company.  

Man, I had to get my dictionary out for that one. ???

biziedizie

nefarious???

I thought we had a rule around here bout posting words that us common folk can't understang ;D

Steve

woodhaven

Whats the world coming to.

Not Another Bandsaw[/color]

Oh Well Welcome Anyway.
Richard

Bibbyman

QuoteWhats the world coming to.

Not Another Bandsaw

Yea,  and a smart one too boot.  8)
Sawing since '94

Norm

Welcome to the forum UrbanLogger, my endcoater isn't as young as yours but just as cute (still trying to dig myself out of that hole on the chain saw thread).

Good choice in your mill color too.

Bro. Noble

Norm,

You might want to go back and change that to        "my end coater is young and cute too"   or else you might just get yourself in deeper. :D

Course you could buy Patty some guinees and really get in good with her.  They will eat grasshoppers and you wouldn't need a watchdog :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

Ahhhh, Shoulda known when Bibby acknowledged the "great mill", it would be orange. ;D

How many times didja bust that log to get it on yer mill???
 Glad to have ya aboard ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Urban Logger.

Good looking log.  ......good lookin' kid. :)

woodhaven

That size log deserves a real sawmill not you alls TOYS.
Bet I'm going to pay for that remark.

FDH,
Its more like how many times did he dig the mill out from under the log.
Richard

Norm

Ya know Noble if Patty gets mad and throws me out I'm coming to live with you. ;D

Kevin_H.

Hey Scott,

Welcome to the forum, Kudos' on the web site and sawmill  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

MemphisLogger

For those of you who asked (or remarked), I had to split that big oak log into quarters before I could saw it. Even then I had to trim the quarters to get the blade guides to pass. All I had to plit the log is my maul, but it came out all right . . .

;)

The big paycan log in the picture with my daughter was the city champion before our big windstorm a month and some ago. The crane that loaded it on to my trailer said it was 7000 lbs+. My too-small grading stick says it has more than a 1000 bdft in it. I hope it splits as easy as that oak.

;D    

ohsoloco

Welcome to the forum, urbanlogger.  

So, you split that red oak with only a maul  ???  Could you post a video clip of that  :D

shopteacher

UrbanLogger your picking up the lingo real fast.  
 These guys "plit" their logs also and some even saw "paycan"
logs. I try and stick to the less exotic species.

MemphisLogger

You caught me fibbin', ohsoloco :D

I really used my car jack . . .   ;)

Kevin_H.

I see a couple of dark spots on the butt.

Did it have metal in it?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

biziedizie

There's a better way to split logs then useing a car jack. When ya grow a few more trees here there's a vid that shows ya how. 8)

Steve

MemphisLogger

No metal, Kevin. The stain on the log came from the arborist's bar.  

We did run into a really weird chunk of once molten ceramic like material.  :'(

That's why I didn't use my cousin/partner Austin's 372XP to finish ripping it in half, biziedizie.  ;)

We did manage to rip it enough so that the 20 ton jack finished the job neatly.   :)

We couldn't use black powder since the next door neighbor is a councilman.  ;D

woodhaven

I gotta admit you is right good with a chain saw.
Richard

Gus

UL,
Welcome to the forum. I just joined a few days ago.
Good bunch of folks here. If you dug around like I did i'm sure you've found that out already  :)

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Bibbyman

Yea,  how did you guys find this Forum and how long did you lurk around as a guest before joining?  

What have you find interesting or helpful so far?
Sawing since '94

MemphisLogger

I first checked y'all out about a year ago when I got my mill. Since I've come back regularly looking for specific help and solutions to problems I've faced.  :-[

Now that I've got a few logs under my belt, I figure I can hang with the big boys.   8)

For real, I've found the solutions that y'all have come up with in regards to log handling, setup, customer relations, etc. to be invaluable as I've pursued this trade.

Thank you.  

Gus

Bibby,
Rusty pointed me at this forum from his forum. Being new to this forum and not knowing much about sawmills there is a great deal here for me to absorb about the subject. For instance, the thread building right now about the problem with edging. . . very interesting. Because of my relationship with mills as a logger I know about many of the problems but here there are so many sawyers to tackle it its mind boggling.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Bibbyman

Just glad you made it.  8)

Say,  UrbanSawyer,  have you seen the WM publication about urban logging?

Harvesting Urban Timber

Thought maybe if you've seen it you could give us a review based on your experience.
Sawing since '94

MemphisLogger

I haven't got a copy of it yet, but I know of Sam Sherrill's work.

On the same note, the USFS did a study on urban wood recovery that you can download at
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/misc/umt/index.htm

Anyhow, I'd be honored to provide a review/synopsis of Sherrill's book whenever I get the chance to read it.  :)

I hate it that Woodmizer only gave Sherrill a LT-15--I imagine he worked up quite a sweat writing the book  ;)

Bibbyman

Another way to look at it – Wood-Mizer loaned him an LT15 to get some practical experience and add to his research.  The LT15 is about a straightforward mill to learn to operate and will make boards with the best of them – just not as fast as the big models.  

From skimming the Wood-Mizer article, they have also helped him in other ways.

Quote"Wood-Mizer has been supporting me for at least eight years. They gave me some money once to go to a presentation, and loaned me a mill so I could learn what it could do. They also always had someone available to do demonstrations for me."

For sure they are planting seeds they hope will add to the bottom line.  But I also know Wood-Mizer has a deep rooted desire to make the best use of the natural resources that would otherwise go to waste.  

In any case,  I'm intrigued by your business approach of catering to urban timber sources.  When my youngest son showed some interest in getting into the sawmill business I advised him to get a small bucket truck and get certified or whatever it took to be able to remove urban trees.  

We get some calls from people wanting us to come and remove some nuisance or damaged tree but because of all the problems,  plus we are just not set up for it,  we always refuse.

Sawing since '94

Jeff

Here is a link with some good info for da urban sawyer.
http://wcufre.ucdavis.edu/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mark M

Quote...Course you could buy Patty some guinees and really get in good with her.  They will eat grasshoppers and you wouldn't need a watchdog... :D

Hey Noble, I got Cindy some Guinness but she wouldn't eat grasshoppers. She did however threaten to open a can of whoopass if I didn't straighten out :D

Mark

PS - Welcome to the group Urban Logger

David_c

i found this forum by chance i going through sites from an aol keyword search and i just happend to look at one of them and it brought me here best luck i had 8) 8) 8) 8). i actually tried to join that night but had problems :( :(  finally emailed jeff now i'm member. :D :D

Bro. Noble

Norm,

As long as Patty lets you bring your cookbook,  chainsaw,  and PANTS,  that might work. :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Norm

Gee that's a pretty good offer Noble, at least you didn't say I had to bring my milking boots.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!