iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uniform Const. Code, WARNING

Started by Ironwood, August 07, 2009, 11:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I was speaking to a friend the other day, he happens to work for the local Code Enforement Office ( I like him anyway, and he goes to my church too ;D). Anyhow, the Uniform Construction Code (UCC) that went into effect "offically" nationwide in 2004, has tightened things up in many places AND created a REAL hassle for us DIY folks. I suppose enforcement varies GREATLY from place to place around the country (I be curious on this one). He stated that there is a trend occuring w/ insurance companies asking for proof of UCC  inspections for work done after 2004. This is additions, whole houses and outbuildings. He said in some instances that potential home sales have fallen through as insurance co.s will not insure the place if there is no paper trail from post UCC work  ::)

Gotta love this stuff. Anyhow, this was the first time I had heard this type #$%^^ so I figured YOU all should know was well. Goberment, GET OUTTA my life!!!

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Warbird

Quote from: Ironwood on August 07, 2009, 11:24:12 PM
Gotta love this stuff. Anyhow, this was the first time I had heard this type #$%^^ so I figured YOU all should know was well. Goberment, GET OUTTA my life!!!

Thanks for the info.  Ditto on the last sentence.

StorminN

We're well into in, out here in the far northwest... must be the proximity to California. I live in a rural county... but we've got building codes and plenty of them! The only good exemption is anything under 400 sq. ft., but you're not supposed to have power or water or anything in there... so a tool shed without lights, basically. It's getting completely OUT OF HAND, word is the next thing they're trying to make mandatory is SPRINKLERS in residential homes... not hotels, not businesses, HOMES... ridiculous!!

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Larry

I think it is up to your local community...city, county, as to whether they want to create a position for a code enforcement officer.  No officer...no inspections, paper trails, or any other pain from the UCC.

I know across Missouri and Arkansas it's pretty much this way.  I'm building a new house and didn't even need to get a building permit.  I think an inspection for septic systems is mandatory in all locations now.

Times are changing though...a spy plane flew over our place last fall and spotted my slab.  The tax man showed up last month to see if I was done yet so they could start taxing me. :(
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

We get fairly regular "fly overs" annually. ##$%%^.

To my knowlege, ALL folks are under UCC, if the locals dont insist, I think they opt out on any State, Federal moneys, grants etc.. That is how the upper level makes the smaller municiplities conform. @#$% .

How about this one, some local Goberments, are making landlords upgrade to current codes EVERYTIME a new tenant moves in. How would you like to have 5-20 rentals w/ that kinda stuff happening? I don't even want to think what will happen in the future w/ mold, lead paint and fiberglass insulation litgation. I think it will get to a point where people will not look at rental units as money makers, but LIABILITIES. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Cedarman

What better way to create obsolescence!!! Make them illegal to rent. Tear them down and build new ones from scratch.  Look at the jobs created.  Have to get the housing  industry moving somehow.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

moonhill

Hold on a minute, that is a Conspiracy, if I have ever heard one.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Dan_Shade

It's not a conspiracy when the government does it.  It's law.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

isawlogs

Too many laws bylaws subbylaws to start with , we are all going to become criminals by not being able to keep up with them bright ideaed idiots we have in office , It is getting out of hand . We need to get  common sense back into the heads of people. I think the teaching today is way to much theory and no hands on .. Ya can tell a person all you want on how to hold a hammer and to how hit the nail .. but until he has done it and wacked his finger /thumb a few times , he aint gonna know how its done . Just to much tellin' not enough showin' .....  :P  :-\  Its not only to how its done , we need to teach them the why of it too  They need to learn to lose the self centered system they have aound them , too many are enclosed in a little world of there own and not want to do with anything around them , they dont know there neighbours or want to know them ...
Sad to think that if you breakdown along a road you need a cell phone to call for help , that you cant just go knock on the first door you see and ask for help there ...
I'll stop it here , its getting depressing .... :-\  
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

Quote from: Cedarman on August 09, 2009, 07:53:12 AM
What better way to create obsolescence!!! Make them illegal to rent. Tear them down and build new ones from scratch.  Look at the jobs created.  Have to get the housing  industry moving somehow.

I assume your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek there, Cedarman. :D

One of the many, many problems that "Big Government" has caused, is this concept that the Gov't has to create jobs.  That notion goes all the way back to the Roosevelt days during the Great Depression.  The trouble, as I see it, is that the Gov't not only steps in and does things that it isn't supposed to do, but it also does not do the things it IS supposed to do.  It should be the Government's job to regulate things at the core level of the various industries, where the basic policies are laid out.  For instance, the Federal Gov't should go no further than requiring that the States should have a code.  The State Gov't could then pass that mandate on to the Counties, if they so chose, and could/should leave the details up to them.  They are micro-managing the building industry right down to the individual home, yet they have left all of the law-making and regulating of building materials up to a group of private "associations" who have government-like powers.  To my way of thinking, if someone is going to have the power to make and enforce a law, or set a standard, he should be accountable to the People, via the election process.   A license is required to inspect lumber, but that license is issued by, and its use enforced by private organizations, who carefully groom the rules to prohibit the small producer from participating in the industry.  If the Gov't had not copped out on this basic responsibility, there would be licensed inspectors all over the place, we could get our wood inspected, and a new sub-industry would be flourishing.  Instead, the real important issues have been turned over to thieves, while the Gov't tells me where I have to locate my light switch.

The same thing is going on elsewhere.  Workers have the right to organize, as long as they join and pay huge fees to the AFL-CIO.  We are all under the control of that organization in one way or the other, yet we have no say in how they do business.  It is also true in many other instances.  The AMA regulates Doctors, the Bar Association regulates lawyers, the AHCA licenses and regulates hospitals, etc, etc, etc.  These are the things the Gov't should be doing, and if they did, they wouldn't have to worry about creating jobs!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ladylake

Were headed downhill fast with no brakes. Just keep voting for people that are going to do everthing for you, they do, take all your money and then tell you what to do.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

zopi

Vote 'em ALL out every time...I would love to see the term "incumbent" become obsolete...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Handy Andy

I don't expect the federal government to be cutting back soon, but the amount of tax they are receiving is down huge.  As far as incumbents go, I'd like to see term limits of one term.  That would eliminate the need of raising of money for campaigns, and that would solve a lot of problems.  You know what they say about our govment, it's the best that money can buy, trouble is they are all for sale.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

zopi

Quote from: Handy Andy on August 09, 2009, 11:15:02 PM
    You know what they say about our govment, it's the best that money can buy, trouble is they are all bought and paid for.

Fixed that for you.. :D

Government is like Entropy...it can only expand...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Handy Andy

They are bought and paid for, but they are always ready to sell out for more.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

zopi

The world worries about pig flu....corruption and greed are far worse...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

twobears

you  guys are pointing at the wrong people..well,kinda. insurance companies cause all this building code mess and alot of other costly things.the goverment just helps them get it done.
insurance companies cause the cost to live to go up everyday some guy sits in a insurance company office and looks at accident figures,fires,ect and figures out ways for the insurance companies to save money.
then,they get the goverment to make new laws for them at our expence and freedom.

delbert

ladylake

Most of our money is wasted on  taxes and insurance.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!