iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIG TIME metal in log

Started by Magicman, August 06, 2009, 08:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Anyone that has been sawing for a while has hit something....mostly nails.

My worst was a couple of years ago.  I was sawing for a logger who had brought in tree length logs.  I was bucking them myself and loading the logs on the mill for sawing.  On this particular log, I had already cut two 20' logs and was sawing the third cut.  About 4' into that log.....I hit this !!!

It is a "T" fence post.  It was broken off below the bark.  It was driven into the log at a near 90 degree angle.  Remember,  The post was driven into the tree at least 45 feet above the ground.

Any one want to guess how it got there....or do you already know?

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

The logger fell the tree on it.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

nas

fence to keep the birds in ;)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

WH_Conley

Radar beat me to it. I did the same think a few years back. Dead giveaway, my post didn't break, easy to see.
Bill

sawmilllawyer

Someone was practicing throwing a javline with a metal T post?
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

Quote from: Radar67 on August 06, 2009, 09:25:02 PM
The logger fell the tree on it.

Dead on.  And when the skidder hooked up, it broke the post off.  I'll fess up.  It took me a couple of days to figure it out, but then the "light" came on....Congrats, Radar, but I don't give prizes... :D :D :D OK, here's one...smiley_nananana 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ernie

Hey Magicman-- lots of pix, hitting metal and admitting it, you'll be real popular here :) :)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

customsawyer

It looks like that tree grew around the post so I don't think it did that after the logger fell the tree.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Weekend_Sawyer

It looks like there is some staining around the post. How long had the log been down?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

W_S, it probably had been cut about a month....maybe a little more.  The log was still green (wet).

customsawyer,  The tree actually fell on the fence post, driving it into the log.  What I kept going back to was that the wood fibers were actually torn.  Look at the right side and you can see torn wood fibers that were pushed down by the post.  There was no growth around the post.

It's interesting, at least to me.  That's why I asked and got permission to keep it.

Thank You Sponsors!