iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas, WM, Good Friends and BBQ

Started by DanG, August 06, 2009, 12:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Well, that's what the rest of my day is supposed to consist of, anyway.  I'm off to Hogs4hobby's place to meet up with Woodbowl, watch him saw a little bit, and see the new Lucas 10" mill.  There was idle mention of some possible BBQ while making the plans for this afternoon.

Film at 11, Lord willing. ;D 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Sounds like a plan to me.....I like it !!!   ;D  'specially thuh eatin part    smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

red

Stew  Hogs4Hobby  has the Lucas 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

DanG

I made it down there and back, and it's 11 o'clock somewhere, so here's the proof.(part of it, at least)

I learned a few things today:

#1.  How to properly feed a Lucas mill. ;D

#2.  How to properly feed a Woodmizer mill.  ;D

#3.  How to properly dog a log on a Lucas mill.  ;D

#4.  How to properly remove sawdust from a Lucas mill.  ;D

I also learned that Luke(Hogs4hobby), his Wife April, and there family are really nice folks.  They've "got it going on" about sums it up.  They have carved out a place for themselves way out in the bushes where nobody bothers them, and have made a comfortable and productive homestead of it.  It is obvious that their folks raised them right, and they are doing the same for their kids.  I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with them and Woodbowl, who was sawing up some beautiful Juniper lumber for them.  As we all know, different types of mills have their strong and weak points, and these particular logs were just better suited to the Woodmizer bandsaw, making it more feasible to hire WB and his WM than to saw them on the Lucas.

More later. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WildDog

Sounds like a good day Dang and HogsforHobby, looks like a good setup, I have been feeding my Lucas with a 4 in 1, its done the job so far but tapered logs test it a bit, I have never seen log grabs like that down here but would like to look into some for my FEL. I will post later asking for the best design.
If thoses dogs are steel i'd be holding my breath towards the bottom on those small logs.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

hogs4hobby

dang,
it was also nice meeting & visting with you. I too learn a view things talking with you. it was also very nice being on the spectater side of a sawing job for a change.
 sorry we did not have any bbq on the grill, but we will have a feed next time. Hope you & woodbowl enjoy the sausage.
after counting the juniper boards we wound up with a tally of 1134 board feet for the first day. hope to have another 600 to 750 bf on the tally today!!!

DanG

It was a great way to spend an afternoon, Luke.  I sure did enjoy meeting all of you and touring your place.  Woodbowl and I had talked about stopping at a BBQ place afterward, as we sometimes do, but decided not to.  Many thanks for the sausage!  That was a nice surprise, and I look forward to digging into it. ;D 8) 8)

I have a few more pics to post, and I'll get around to that shortly. ;)

isawlogs

I like the tractor ....  well the whole set-up there is good .  8)  But that tractor is a nice peice of equipment .  :) 8) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Hogs4hobby,

You have a very nice set-up.  I am definitely jealous ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Yep!  I fell in love with that tractor!  The grapple on the front is super nice, and the forestry winch on the back makes it a very versatile machine.  I want one!

LeeB

Can you get a graple like that to put on a Case backhoe? How much would such an implement cost?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DanG

I don't see why not, Lee.  It is basically just a stacking rake with a pair of thumbs on top.  My fishing buddy, Hamp, has a rake like that for his old Case Construction King.  It shouldn't be too hard to add the thumbs.

DanG

I got so carried away snapping pics of the toys, I forgot to take any of the people. ::)  This is the best shot I got of Hogs4hobby, taken while he was showing off his new Lucas 10" sawmill.

I did manage to get a pic of Woodbowl hard at work, too. ;D

We got to see a real oddity while the Lucas was whacking up that old pine log.  None of us had ever seen a pine board do this before.

I saw that little strip pop out as soon as the saw went through it.  There was this little streak of really sappy wood, way down in the middle of the log, but not in the pith.  I've seen these streaks plenty of times, but never saw one pop out like that.  The really odd thing was that both ends of it remained attached, while the detached part popped out like it was spring-loaded.  It was like a piece of rubber, about the same flexibility as a piece of truck tire.  Here's another view of it.  Interestingly, there didn't seem to be any tension anywhere else in that log. ???

brdmkr

Dan, did you take good notes on those dogs?

That is a sweet looking setup there H4H.  It sure beats my cutting in the sun!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

metalspinner

Thanks for the pics, DanG!

H4H,
That's an unusual stickering of lumber I see up there by woodbowl.  Can you fill us in on your technique? :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Coon

Metalspinner,  up around these parts many people stack all their 4/4 spruce and softwoods like that.  This seems to help keep the boards alot straighter throughout the drying process when the movement is at its peak.  It also requires alot less stickering too. :) 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WDH

Seems like double stacking would take a lot more time to dry unless it was only a temporary stack that was to be be re-stacked at some future point in time. 

That looked like eastern redcedar, which is a rapid drying wood with no staining like in maple.  The redcedar might dry fine like that.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

You are correct, WDH.  That is indeed ERC.  You seem to have a flair for wood.  Perhaps you should look into establishing a career in the field. ;D :D

Unless I disremember incorrectly, I'm thinkin' that H4H might have told me that he thought he remembered that that ;D ERC had been air dried before being restacked and bundled like that.  Of course, he works for a living, and I'm retired, so either one of us could be wrong in agreeing with each other.  Having said that, I'm not sure it was ever mentioned in the first place.  It might have been, or not, but I can't be sure if I have forgotten to remember or simply don't remember that I forgot. ???

WDH

Woodbowl looks so relaxed that I am sure he can remember to remember.

brdmkr

I remembered something once, but I forgot what it was.... I think.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

hogs4hobby

i sticker the ceader in double sacks because it dries really fast & the logs i sawed it out of had been cut for two years or so. they were really dry. mostly stack it like that to save time.

the grapple can be attach to any type of front end loader, the tractor that it is on now is not the one it was bought for. i had a smaller tractor & when i upgraded tractors I had to retrofit the grapple.

after we finish the juniper we had a total of about 2100 to 2200 feet of 1 x 6 ,1 x 8, 1 x 10, & 1 x 12, with a few 3 x 12 for a table top. these logs have also been dead for a while. a tornado from hurricane ivan took most of down in 2004!!!

makes for some tough retrival when all the blow down has a few years of under brush growth in it also.

will be going to get a couple more loads in a few weeks before my permit runs out. but kinda tied up with some some cypress logging now. I went this morning & cut 50 or so cypress & got about 50 more to cut down before i skid them out & load them.

hogs4hobby

after watching the bandsaw cut a full day my wife told me that I should really think about get me {us} a band mill to go along side of our lucas mill, she really like the bandsaw but loves the lucas mill also.
  sounds like i have advance permission to add another toy when the right deal comes along!!!!!!

beenthere

Seems there was one up for sale just recently in the FL area.  :-X :-X

Had a name like it was lookin for a new home.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbowl

It was a good day, but man was it hot. I was about bushed at the end of the day. Leave it to DanG to snap a pic while I was cooling. H4H has got a pretty good setup. A HD tractor with grapple and a shady spot to work. Juniper saws so sweet. The blade flys through the wood even faster than cypress. The 10" Lucas made quick work from one of the big pine logs. Heavy pine logs really hold  down good for the Lucas, but not as well for the light Juniper. We squared up a big Juniper into a 12 X 12 X 8' and I should have seized the photo opt to pick it up on my shoulder to have some pics taken, but I didn't. That was one light cant.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

beenthere

Quote from: woodbowl on August 08, 2009, 09:29:10 PM
It was a good day, but man was it hot. I was about bushed at the end of the day. Leave it to DanG to snap a pic while I was cooling. ..........

DanG knows he can't get a good pic of a moving object.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

One of the big reasons for going down to Luke's place was to see the new 10" Lucas mill.  We haven't said too much about it on this thread, but that's because it is pretty much like any other Lucas mill.  You can't really tell the difference unless you measure the blade.  Luke was taking full 10" cuts on that pine and it handled it well, though it seemed that the power is pretty much maxed out at that point.  Not sure what HP he is running.  The most impressive feature to me was the crossfeed winch, which I think is an option on all of the Lucas mills now.  I didn't run the mill myself, but from watching Luke, it looked like a real work saver.  It appeared much faster and easier than pulling the saw over by hand.

Thank You Sponsors!