iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by Texas Ranger, August 03, 2009, 12:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

How many of you are on Skype, telephone by computer?  Free service from computer to computer, about $3.00 a month for calls anywhere in north American and Mexico.

http://www.skypeofficial.com/skyp.html

My family uses it, and does an old college buddy, calls his daughter at an embassy in south America, all on computer.

You down load it and develop your own telephone book.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

jim king

It works great from the Amazon to anywhere in the world.  It saves me hundreds each month.

Fla._Deadheader

I was told you need FAST connections on both ends, or it is a bad experience ???

Would like to hear experiences with dial-up, that is working well ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

isawlogs

Harold , dont put Skype and dial-up in the same sentence/paragrapheor same book for that matter , I have a satelite connection that is not high speed but 100,oMbits and Skype is a no go on video and audio . It is good as an instant message ... for all that is worth .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Confirmed my suspicions, Marcel. Gracias ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Warbird

Interesting.  If you can force it to use the G.729 voice codec, you might be able to make it work over dialup.  I've not messed with skype but I am surprised there isn't a free VoiP package out there somewhere.

Sprucegum

We used skype to talk to the son-in-law when he was in Afganistan, it was patchy and jetky but it worked better than their telephone system.

Papa1stuff

I use Magic Jack ,just plug it into computer ,plug in telephone and call anywhere in the world!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Fla._Deadheader

Papa, could you be a little more informative of what you have ??? Fast Internet ??? Charges per minute, etc., etc., Thanks
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on August 03, 2009, 07:58:15 PM

Papa, could you be a little more informative of what you have ??? Fast Internet ??? Charges per minute, etc., etc., Thanks

Will magicJack work with Dial-up Internet service?
Answer

NO.

Dial-up Internet service does not provide enough bandwidth or speed for magicJack.

A minimum bandwidth UPLOAD speed of 128 kb/s (or kbit/s or kbps) is required.

You may test your bandwidth speed at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

NOTE: magicJack-to-magicJack calls may work using dial-up Internet service.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

I just got 87 kbps, both upload and download  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Anyone have any spare pigeons ???  ::) ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Papa1stuff

I guess Jeff answered the question!
I have DSL and it works great!
It sells for 39.95 for the first time then it is 19.95 per year for all USA calls for outside USA there are charges.

Go to MagicJack.com and get all the info.
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Texas Ranger

Skype uses both audio and visual feeds, kill the video, and the audio does all right.  Have not tried it on dial up, all dsl.  It's all in the band width.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

firefighter

I have been using skype for ayear now works great only 3.00 a month in Canada and the US great deal

ErikC

No phone lines to our place, but we have wireless internet, so we got skype. Call all over for $3 a month, and it works great. We are happy with it. Once in a while a call will be bad quality, but we are on the low end of bandwidth as far as wireless goes. I think about 350 kbps
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Toolman

just performed that test Jeff, I got 343 kbps!!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

D Hagens

Just a quick question, how do you get a # to your computer? I D/L the program and I can call my cell but it comes up as unknown.
Is this the part where I have to pay for it and if yes do they want a credit card?

SwampDonkey

There are a couple companies that offer telephony over dialup internet connections. Looks like you have to purchase credits and one of them says $0.04 a minute, right on the front page.

http://www.callserve.com/

http://www.go2call.com/

Well, you can get a calling card for that and avoid all the hassle and dropped transmissions that are frequent on dialup. I can remember this whole thing began back in 1996 or so, it's not a new idea and was out when most people were on dialup. The old names I remember of a couple programs are now totally different because of broadband popularity now-a-days and no longer freeware. I don't think it was used by dialing a land line number, it was used between computers with direct internet connection. It was kind of a spin off from internet relay chat, where users names were in a window and you clicked on the user name to dial the other for one on one chat.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DouginUtah

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

D Hagens

So what I can understand is this is in short like having a cell phone in a nut shell except that your online and there's more ways to communicate at a better rate.

Am I on the right track?

In Canada years ago we had a long distance plan that worked through the phone lines except you never paid the phone company.

tonich

I have $0.04 a minute to Bulgaria with Shaw Communications Inc. Just phone.

For testing the INTERNET speed I use http://www.speedtest.net/

SwampDonkey

I use Yak for $0.05 here, no plan, just gets shown on my regular phone bill. I think I heard a while back that some of these phone companies lost a lawsuit over network fees they were charging customers. When Aliant took over NBtel, they tacked this long distance plan on the bill. Well, no one asked for it and you don't have to have it to make a long distance call. Got that one taken off right quick.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BcWoodWorks

Skype is ok; a little too much program for me. I never cared for the set-up of it all; but that was surely quite a few versions ago.

Ever tried Ventrilo? If you have access to a server, you can download Ventrilo (Vent for short) for free, and get rolling. The only fees we ever had was the monthly rented server payments but...that's all of $12?

Push to talk, and bada boom bada bing.  ;D Everyone just connects to an IP and you're off.

Just depends what your people are using.

Geek talk done.  ;)
-Alec
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

Thank You Sponsors!