iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Busted my ankle

Started by Toolman, August 03, 2009, 10:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toolman

Exactly one week ago I was sawing hickory logs for a customer at my home. The guy dropped off 18 20" plus logs on Friday. I was finishing up on monday with 3 logs to go. I was positioning a log to roll onto loader when my cant hook let go and I flew forward. My ankle stayed wedged between the log I was trying to roll and another log that was sitting behind it. I could feel and hear my ankle "snap". The pain was incredible!! Nobody was around and my cell phone was 30 ft. away in the saw shed. I eventually crawled to shack and called a buddy of mine who lives about 2 miles from me. A trip to emergency room was a loooong trip. I broke a bone in my ankle and severely tore a ligament. Now I'm in a cast for 4-6 wks, going crazy!! I'm not cut out for this laying around stuff.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

metalspinner

Ouch!

Sorry to hear this.  We all have that close call everytime we grab the hook.  Hope you heal up quick. As hard as it is for you, stay off your feet!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Toolman

Yea, I tried getting on my feet earlier longer than I should've, and watched my leg swell up again. I'm still running my sharpening business. I spend about 30 minutes a day in the shop. My turn around time has increased, but, my customers have been real decent  about it. My wife helps me where she can. This stinks! >:(
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Meadows Miller

Gday

I feel your pain Mate  ;) i shatterd my feama and smahed my ankel n foot to peices in a car accadent when i was 18yo when i was pushing too hard with work n everything else a young bloke does  n fell asleep comming home n woke up just before plowing into a tree at 60 + mph  :o ::)
I was soppose to be outa action for 12 to 18 months + but it only took me 6 months and abit rehab to teach myself how to walk again too be back fulltime at work   ;) startn back early cost me an extra opperation down the track though  ;) Like metalspinner said stay off your feet  ;) and keep it level asmuch as possible as it gives you better blood flow mate ;)

It wont take long to heal but itll seem like forever I wish you a speedy recovery Mate

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Meadows Miller

P.s

another thing you can try that i use to do when i was sharpening the band and cansaws in the shed for dad   ;) if your sharpening use a stool alittle lower than the chair to rest your ankel n cast on it use to work for me alittle uncomfatable but its better than getting the swelling  mate  ;)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

beenthere

Ouch!
Sorry to hear that.
I'm guessing that it wasn't a LogRite hook that slipped. They grab so much better.

Wish you well in recovery, and finding some things to do to keep from being bored.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

farmboy1tn

the advice giving is so true i know,ive been where you are and if you don't take it easy it will take longer to heal up

WDH

Toolman, don't push your recovery and make it worse.  These things cannot be hurried or you will pay the price.  At least you can spend more time on the Forum  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Fla._Deadheader

My break was strange, and, the DR would NOT put a cast on it. At least you have a cast, so, stay off it, as best you can. Good luck on a speedy recovery
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Sorry to hear about that, Toolman.  Hopefully the swelling problem will go away soon, and that'll help your mobility a bunch.  It might help you build up the sharpening biz a bit, since you'll have more time to put into it for a while.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Toolman

Thank you for all of your responses. I feel bad for my wife. I think I'm driving her crazy!! :D

kelLOGg

Sorry to hear of your bad news but I'm glad it wasn't any worse and that you chose to tell about it. I was too embarrased (or vain) to talk about mine. Last December I nipped a half inch off left middle finger between a chain and sprocket while doing maintenance.  >:(. Couldn't really bear to bring it up until you told your story. A friend had given me a Quick Clot from Deluth Trading which really worked. Got 3 of them now. Funny what you think about at such times. I thought of Logwalkers quote; "Let's all be careful out there"
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bull

Toolman, don't rush it !!!  I tried to rush and I'm still paying for it, Will be 5 years Sept. 12 and I still have pain daily!!  Arthritis is a huge issue for me !!  Don't The the PT people try to rush your recovery either, let that ankle heal !!!!
The forum can be a life saver with all the down time an ankle injury requires, listen to your body if you think you fell pain head for the chair and get your feet up---- Ice the injury and drink plenty of ice water, it's a big helper--- keeps they system hydrated and the fluids moving !!!!! The ankle can fill with and incredible amount of bad fluid when it swells !!!!

Ga. bow-man

So sorry Toolman, I pray that you will heal back as good as new.
We all know playing with these mills and logs you're gonna get hurt sooner or later.
We all just hope it will heal so we can get back to this stuff that gets in your blood.

ljmathias

Recovery is tough and the older you get, the longer it seems to take- both because it really does take longer and because you value more whatever time you have left so you don't want to waste any of it...  Just had the old prostate removed and for the first time in my life, actually listened to the doctor on recovery- course the wife was there, too, and she made sure I "remembered" what he said.  Long story short- took almost as long to get back up and doing full time as he recommended, mainly because I took my time, didn't rush it (too much) and listened to my body- it will tell you when you're doing too much (at least my body will tell me that, you might have to listen to yours instead).

Advice for what it's worth (consider the cost): you've got the rest of your life to enjoy a fully healed and functional ankle, less of course you mess it up worse trying to get going too soon.  And now you've got a great story to tell!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

backwoods sawyer

Ankles are not like knees, they cannot be changed out as easily. Doc said I would wear one out in no time then be stuck with out one. So take care of it, and next time watch that you do not get into those pinch points. Take this time to go over how to make things around the mill safer, and when you do get back out there be vigilant about you safety. Logging and sawmills have a long history of being man-eaters.  Best of luck on your recovery.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dan_Shade

what type of shoes were you wearing?

I like high top shoes, hoping they provide a little ankle support if needed.

Sorry to hear about your accident. :(
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Toolman

Thanks for all of the advice. I will chalk this one up as a "learning experience". To answer your question Dan, I was wearing ankle high boots, go figure. Imagine what might have happened if I was wearing sneakers. Oouch!! :-\

Dan_Shade

yeah  :-(

I tell folks that logs and chainsaws don't have a conscience, and enjoy hurting people.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

redprospector

I had a wreck with a cant hook in 2001. I was unloading log's from a gooseneck trailer. One of them turned a little & started toward me, I jumped off the trailer and started to run. that's when I learned it's hard to outrun a rolling log. It hit me on the outside of my left knee. Shattered the knee, and tore the ACL in half. I was down for almost 9 months, that was a rough time.
Give it time to heal, and don't push it too much or you'll be gimping around like me.  :D
That's the same advice my dad gave me. I didn't listen either.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Coon

All in all just remember.....  You're not a cat.  You do not have nine lives.  ;) :D  Take your time with the healing process it'll pay off in the end.  Don't be stubborn headed like me and over do it while healing up. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WildDog

Sorry to hear about your injury Toolman hope it mends without complications.

When I was younger I busted my Tib & Fib a radial break playing rugby league, on the way to hospital the ambulance officer said "You will be off football for 3mths, I thought thats O.K. The surgeon never plated or pinned it and I had a full caste to my groin, the caste became loose as the swelling subsided and for 4 months I'd wake in the morning with my foot lying at right angles to my leg and dad would have to twist my foot and plaster upright, this really hurt and when the plaster came off there was holes in my leg and dried blood in the plaster where the bone had poked through my skin.

The probblem was that the surgeon was head of the Australian Medical Association and the 2 other Dr's we went to too have it rectified said, it wasn't right but they weren't prepared to go against the head of AMA one Dr refering to him as God. When the plaster finally came of 10 months later my leg was 3/4 inch shorter.

From experience with other breaks the sooner the bone starts to knit and you can get moving the more the blood flows and aids in healing,(my experience only you do whats best for you) 
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

bandmiller2

Like sands through the hourglass and poop through the goose,toolman be carefull you don't get hooked on soaps.Sorry to hear of your uncomfortable incident guess in our line of work/play we're seconds from disaster, but for the grace of God.Years ago my hand got between a log and steel post pocket almost lost two fingers.Too dang stubborn to rest should have seen me trying to handle the old hand clutch 830 diesel and trailer with one hand in the woods.This will soon pass and be but a memory spend more time here.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mike_van

Toolman - Get better soon! How quick our lives can change, huh?  Yesterday doing my most hated job of the year [weedeater along 200 ft of stream] I slipped off a wet rock. Dinged up one shin & one knee, but that could have been much worse. Hang in there,  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Fla._Deadheader

Geez Loueeze, one clumsy lot, EH ???  ;D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!