iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hit a back support

Started by John_Haylow, August 03, 2009, 08:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

I just finished 3 days of cutting for my brother in-law. It was all Hemlock that was cut 2 years ago and one very large Spruce. I managed to hit one of my back supports and destroyed one of my new 7* blades. In doing so the blade got wedged behind the guide roller and sheared off a sliver of the blade about 8" long and made its way through the discharge shoot. I had to cut the blade out  with a hacksaw to remove it. I now know why they say to stay clear of that area when the mill is running.

I was surprised at the quality of the lumber, considering the age of the logs. The 7* blades worked very well in the Spruce and Hemlock but not so good in metal  :-[

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Meadows Miller

Gday

Apart from hitting the back stops  it sounds like you had a good runn Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) i dont like sawing dry logs myself but you cant avoid it sometimes  ;)

ive only hit the back stops a couple of times once on a Wm lt40 and once on my little jonsered 6000+  i had from when i was 15yo but it wasnt too hard just enough to leave a small mark  ;) i wouldnt want to hit one going full tilt tho but i have had afew bands break on me over the years like you said I wouldnt wanna be standing inline with the band when that happens  :o  :o ??? ::) 

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ARKANSAWYER

Welcome to the Club!      8)  8)  You are in good company.  It is the piths when you do it with a new blade.
ARKANSAWYER

farmboy1tn

well that one is behind you,tramp metal is next   >:(

DR_Buck

Ah!   A new member.   ;)  Welcome.    Makes and awful noise.    smiley_furious  Doesn't it?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

farmboy1tn

well i hit the back stops second week  after i started, but got my first tramp metal this past weekend,40 penny nail in a big cedar a friend wanted cut. time for a metal dector. but i still haven't ruined a new blade yet. but only time will tell

bandmiller2

Bands are cheap,could have been a 52" headsaw that you had just put new bits and shanks in.John we all have done it at least once,most won't admit it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

LeeB

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 04, 2009, 05:58:39 AM
Bands are cheap,could have been a 52" headsaw that you had just put new bits and shanks in.John we all have done it at least once,most won't admit it.Frank C.

At least three times a year or more.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

zopi

yeah..yer not alone, by any means....I've only hit one piece of metal so far...cut a 16d nail in two and didn't notice it until I was stacking...didn't even ding the blade...lucky.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

petefrom bearswamp

Yep,
did it two days ago while daydreaming.
thank the lord I was sawing alone so nobody saw me.
this makes the third time I have done this. Not proud of it just fact.
Old timers disease I guess
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

Hey Pete, I've noticed quite a few spots on my mill where the back-stops have some pretty good size gouges in them where someone (must be the first owner) made boo boo's!  ;)  :o

Also a debarker bite on the clamp and a chainsaw bite on the large pipe in the lifting arms! :-X

I hit one of the manual back-stops once, all it did was just take the top inch or so of paint off.  Good thing is was on a steep slant!  8)

Chuck

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

backwoods sawyer

I hit one of the manual dogs with the back of the saw the other day. The dog was down and as the head came back home it caught a chunk of bark that caught the dog and stood it up. The back of the saw hit the dog and the saw jumped off the wheel. A quick check of the saw did not find any damage. I marked on the saw what had happened and will take a closer look at it when I sharpen it.  No harm, no foul.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

I haven't sawn my mill yet ... this year ;).

For the record, from first hand experience ...
  You can saw pretty deep into a backstop.
  You can saw off the corner of the bolt that holds the backstop rollers in place.
  You can't saw the backstop rollers themselves -- they just turn and get polished.
  You can't even make a mark on the vertical clamp cylinder.

So now you know all this, you don't have to try if for yourself :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

I sawed into mine once, got so fissed I welded a nub on the back guide that will hit first and either stop the band carriage or push the log stop down enough for the band to clear.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Yup, hit the log support a couple of times, and the log clamp twice.  I think that it's part of the "learning" curve.

I sawed a 24" cedar Monday.  I questioned the customer about where it came from and that it probably had nails, etc. and reminded him that it was 20 bucks if I hit one.  Third cut....nail #1.  Turned it and about 4" down....nail #2.  Turned it and again deep into the tree.....nail #3.  After $60, he decided that it was time to "jump butt"  the tree and salvage the top 8' of the log.

Any tree that came from an old "house place", will probably have metal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

I sawed one for a customer the other day that he would up buying 3 blades also.
Bill

GregW

I hit a back support last week ... first time in 7 yrs. It was 4:30 pm on a hot day, I got distracted by the cold beer in the fridge calling my name!

woodmills1

cant wait till kathy hits one so the 70 is hers
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

petefrom bearswamp

Hi chuck white,
Been away a while,
Yeah those dings are from me.
Its amazing how far in the blade will go in the back supports. Screeches too!
I had forgotten the chain saw mark in the lifting arm bar.
Never hit anything with the de barker that I can remember tho.
Regards Pete

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dan_Shade

it will also do a number on the claw turner  :-)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

boman1

There are two kinds of sawyers............those that have hit the backstops, and those that will hit the backstops !

Meadows Miller

:D :D :D :D thats spot on mate  ;) :D :D ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: boman1 on August 18, 2009, 11:41:16 PM
There are two kinds of sawyers............those that have hit the backstops, and those that will hit the backstops !
When I worked in the big mill that is what they said about the carriage. I made it 17 years with out hitting the carriage with a set of double cut twins in the early years and a set of quads after the upgrade.  8) I have snaked two saws out of a 4" cut, :o I have busted two saws at the same time when a block ripped out of the carriage :o, I have unseated a block chipper and watched it dance around on the floor as it came to a stop, ;D  I have caught the end of back stand and sent it flying like a helicopter across three edger's, no_no but I never hit the carriage with a single saw. ;D (As I knock on wood)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

The truth hurts sometimes.... :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nas

Quote from: boman1 on August 18, 2009, 11:41:16 PM
I thought the saying was "95% of sawyers will say they have hit a backstop, the other 5% are liars" ;D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!