iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Turns on my Lathe

Started by Lud, July 29, 2009, 08:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

My compliments on the new Uploader.  The old style of uploading was probably the reason I'd been dragging my feet......but , hey,  want to share, right?

Rainy day here in OHIO, so here's a bunch of the past few month's stuff. 

Try to turn every day.....

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Lud

I get it .  It limits load size.  Cool.

My drying room is the old grannary in the barn.  Run a circulating fan and a dehumidifier.

Thought I should add a few more.

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Burlkraft

WOW Lud !!  You been holdin' out on us  ;D  ;D

Nice job on the turnings. I especially like that platter with the pie.

I wanna order one a them and a pie too  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

Nice looking pieces. Good job  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

wesdor

Very nice!

What wood is that on the bowl full of yarn?  The colors are impressive and the way you turned the piece makes the most of them.

Sprucegum

That yarn bowl is very impressive indeed! If those are regular-size skeins that is a big bowl!

metalspinner

8) 8)

I wouldn't mind a closer look at the backs of your platters.  And perhaps a little workshop on how you hold your large peices on the lathe? ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Lud

SuperNova II chuck.  Dovetailed recess sized to block  , usually only one to three eighths deep.

I turn big but the yarn bowl is only about a foot and it was a mystery log from a friend.  Wife hand dyes those smaller skeins.

Pie was blueberry/peach.  Ate the last slice this morning. ;D

Thanks for the kind words to all.........

Burlkraft

Quote from: Lud on July 29, 2009, 02:30:25 PM
Pie was blueberry/peach.  Ate the last slice this morning. ;D

Thanks for the kind words to all.........

I love pie in the morning  ;D  ;D  ;D

(can ya tell I just got a clean bill of health from my cardiologist  ???  :D)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

turningfool

great job lud,you HAVE been holding out on us :D

sawmilllawyer

Nice work, yup been a sand bagging us. Now we knows you is more n just a farmer/sawyer. Word's out Lud.  8) 8) 8)
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

sawmilllawyer

I'll third it. That spalted yarn bowl is awesome.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Lud

Nice of you to say but I think I'm still learning.  Practice, Practice, Practice, eh?

I'm also making some turning tools from a variety of found steels such as files, spring steel, mower blades, hay spears.  Anyone else making their tools to turn with?  Very satisfying .

Here's a few other recent turnings.

Fla._Deadheader

How about photos of some tools  ??? ??? ::) ::)

I need something to turn hard end grain.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Lud

I'll take some photos of the tools I made and post if you like......but when you say end grain I have to think one of those "ring"   tools like the Termite.  Have you tried one of those, Harold?  They work especially good on end grain,  you know.

Fla._Deadheader

Don't have therm down here, that I know of.

I thought about making one, but, don't have sufficient specs.

I sent pieces of this hard wood to several FF members, but, I guess they are all chikken to try turning it.  ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Radar67

Harold, on the termite tool, turn a stiff piece of 1/4 or 3/8 inch pipe up and weld a handle to the side of it. Then take a cone shaped burr or grinder and sharpen it up on the inside of the pipe. Play with the angles to find out what works best for your wood. Once you get something to work, you can make different sizes for your different projects. The better the quality of the pipe, or metal, the better the sharpened edge will last. Oh, the pipe only needs to be a quarter to half inch long.

Here is a site you can look at that shows how to use it.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/termitervu.html
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Took me a moment to figure out the natural edge turning, they are interesting. Your other bowl turnings are great to. I don't have thick enough stock on hand to turn in that grain direction, well maybe an elm and a butternut. I've turned mostly on end grain. Are you using 3" blanks on those wider bowls? The walnut bowl has some neat crotch feathering.

Ditto to what radar and Lud said. I also use just a regular gouge and work off the half that turns downward with light scrapings. Real sharp tool is needed, I've used the gouge on mostly softer hardwood. The small, harder, cherry bowls I did were termited. There is a gouge I use that is rounded on the left with a notch in it back toward the handle, and squared on the right, to do the inside bowl lip if you was to make a covered bowl.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks for the info, guys.  8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

LeeB

Quote from: Radar67 on August 16, 2009, 10:36:33 PM
Harold, on the termite tool, turn a stiff piece of 1/4 or 3/8 inch pipe up and weld a handle to the side of it. Then take a cone shaped burr or grinder and sharpen it up on the inside of the pipe. Play with the angles to find out what works best for your wood. Once you get something to work, you can make different sizes for your different projects. The better the quality of the pipe, or metal, the better the sharpened edge will last. Oh, the pipe only needs to be a quarter to half inch long.

Seems like an outer race off a small bearing would work well. Might be kinda hard to weld it on though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

I've been thinking, where would I find that tapered sharpening tool ???

That's the one drawback to building something.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Radar67

Can you get a cone shaped grinder for a die grinding tool? Or for a dremel? That's all the grinding tool is.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Hilltop366

I wonder if you could heat and bend a loop in a flat piece of steel leaving the two ends to come back and fasten to the handle or leave them long enough to be the handle ?

SwampDonkey

My termite has interchangeable heads for different sized rings.

Here's the outfit Harold.

Here is an interchangeable termite tip, tightens on by Allan wrench/Hex Key.

Scanned from Lee Valley Catalog.

I was just reading Mr Lee's letter to customers on the inside cover of my 2002 catalog and he discusses the same things about trades no longer being taught in our primary schools or rarely and the fact that the names of disappearing tradesmen like carpenters, plumbers and furnace repairmen are being traded in conversation now to be able to find a good one. Have been for close to 20 years. When those guys 1 generation ahead of me (or 10-15 years older) retire, there isn't many to fill their shoes. I know that there are 0 people in my area my age and younger taking on many of those trades and have no business skills to do it. The guys that come here to fix stuff tell me this also, so I'm not dreaming. For example, a farmer in the the outskirts of the city of Fredericton couldn't get a starter fixed, nope. This was 20 years ago. Had to buy a brand new one. My father has had many rebuilt and ready to pick up the next day in our local area. A little piece of shaft for a furnace fan, got it made local for $20. From the furnace shop it would have been $60 factory made.  ::) Everyon had to replace their 10 + year old oil tanks in houses. Well, that's ok. But the SOB replaced mine for $400 , or so that was the deal. Then they through at me, that the plastic pipe to the outside needs to be replaced with steel pipe. Ok, we can get that in town and threaded. Nope, he said he was going to get it in Fredericton. He charges me $300 for those pipes that would'a been $75 most likely here, no more than $100 I can bet. Oh, you have to have a certified installer. Just as soon as the darn government demands a certificate the price sky rockets on anything they touch. It's like your now blessed because their hands touched your pipe.  :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!