iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giving it up

Started by LeeB, July 27, 2009, 03:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcfcfan

Good on ya Lee, I gave up 23 years ago, when i found out i was going to be a father for the first time, did it cold turkey, it was *DanG hard and i was grumpy apparentley for the first couple of months.
Glad I did though because a pack of cigs here in NZ are now about $13.50.

Good luck 8) 8) 8) 8)
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

Radar67

Zopi, give Chantix a try, it worked very well for me. Military docs even gave it a thumbs up here.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawmilllawyer

Good for both of you, Lee and Raider Bill. I gave up the habit after my last law school exam that was 26 years ago. My paternal grandfather died of cancer when I was young, all from being a heavy smoker. My dad quit smoking probably forty years ago.  Yeah, it's a tough road but there are rewards in it. (like being around for your family).
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Sprucegum

8) ATTA BOY  8)

I decided to quit when I got in a race with my 8 and 10 year olds and couldn't catch them  :-[  :-[

It took 3 years of cutting down, switching brands, substituting cigars or pipes and ya I even quit drinking for a while before I finally got'er done on New Years Eve 1988  ;D

I can drink all I want now but it makes me dizzy  ::) and have no desire to light up anything.

fishpharmer

I never really knew one of my grandfathers, he died from lung cancer when I was an infant.  I chewed tobacco and dipped before my daughter was born.  I quit, cold turkey, soon after her birth.  Felt much better.  Now Forestry Forum is my only addiction ;D  And I have a weakness for good food :D

Congrats LeeB and Raider Bill, you can do it.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jdtuttle

Congrats Lee & keep it up. Do it for your loved ones. My Mom quit cold turkey when she was 78. We got to be with her for another 10 years.
Jim
Have a great day

zopi

Quote from: Radar67 on July 27, 2009, 09:42:33 PM
Zopi, give Chantix a try, it worked very well for me. Military docs even gave it a thumbs up here.

I'm going to...gotta cute little HM2 on here is gonna fix me up...it's worth
quitting to watch her do the paperwork...:D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Burlkraft

Hang in there Zopi. When yer ready you'll make it!  8)

Lee, Raider how ya hangin ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

LeeB

I'm making it. Had to hit the snuff can a couple times, but no smoking. I picked a horrendous time to do this. All my bosses have been sent off somewhere else and I'm the only expat left on the rig. Now doing my job and their's too. My job is real iffy right now anyway and I don't know if I'll have any thing to come back to next hitch or not. I would really like to smoke a cigar about 40 foot long right now, but I'm holding out. Had to go looking for one of the guys in the smoke shack last night. (we have a designated smoking area). I found the smell awfull but the temptation strong. Couldn't stay there long.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DoubleD

My congratulation guys  8) 8) 8) I quit 10 months ago sometimes it's hard, sometimes not but keep on going on  ;)

Davide  ;D
Wannabe a sawmiller

Fla._Deadheader

Hang in there, Lee. It gets better as time goes on.

About the job, No worries, mate. I reckon Arky can find a spot for you, at his place. No travel time, necessary, EH ???  ::) ;D :D :D :D 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

LeeB

Arky already sends me custom sawing jobs that can't or don't want to bring the logs to him. I'm not gonna worry too much about the job. I have enough saved back to make it 2 years without hitting a lick. I just don't want to have to do that. I'm getting too old to build it back up again. I've been through all this before. The oilfield has it's ups and downs. Pretty much about every 5 -8 years the bottom falls out. This time I managed to last 10 years. Come to think about it, the last time I tried to quit smoking was about that time.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Sprucegum

Just keep telling yourself you can have a big fat cigar when oil hits $150.00 a barrel  :)

LeeB

To be quite honest, i really don't want to see it get that high again. At least not till we have a viable alternative. I know that sounds strange coming from somebody in the industry, but I have to pay for gas and everything else that it effects just like every one else. If prices hadn't gotten so high, the economy wouldn't have taken as big of a hit and I wouldn't be worring about a job. Just like everyone else.

Sprucegum

I hear ya  :(  30 years in the oilpatch for me and this is the third big dip to hit the roller coaster here.

LeeB

Ten days into it now and still hanging on. Like a dumb ash, I volunteered to stay on another week here at work, so I get to continue inflicting misery on the crews. That part really breaks my heart. ;D

Sprucegum

Better them than your dear wife, they may forgive you eventually  ;)

isawlogs

I am guessing that the crew must change every once and a while and that I dont think they care much wether he is in good or bad humour , they probably look like they dont understand a word coming out of him to begin with ... So good choice on staying put . I am also sure the bossette at home is happy about that too .

Do you get a few extra days off for volunteering the ten extra days . ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

No extra time off. I'll lose those days. I just get double pay.

mike_van

Lee, hang in there - I quit in January after 43 years of smoking.  Here's a few things I wanna pass on - To anyone else too. It takes 72 hours for the last 'hit' of nicotene to get out of your system. Everytime you 'cheat', with a smoke, or chew, even the nicotene gum & patches, you just start that 72 hour clock all over. I lost track of the times I tried over the years.  There's something in Marlboro products that make it next to impossible to quit from. I've heard that from others too. They're the worst.  The thought thing that says ' I need a smoke' is real short lived, and gets less & less after awhile. I'd still like one, don't get me wrong, but it's not the need thing like it was. Better days are coming.  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

LeeB

The craving isn't too bad. After meals and right before bed is the worst. It's also hard when I get a few minutes with nothing to do. That's the times I would normally wonder out to the smoke shack and burn one. Sitting in front of the computer at home is gonna be another tough one, exspecialy late at night. I shall persist. I will beat this thing. I know I can. I gave up all the illicit substances I was addicted to as a young man. I can do this too.

Ironmower

You can do it. I found the first 2 weeks was the toughest. The thing I tell people is, you gotta wanna quit, cuttin' back don't work. I quit, coldturkey 4 years ago. My brewskies taste better than ever.
   A couple of things that helped me along was. Just havin' something in my hands and chewin on some doublemint. The patch,nicotene gum and others are just as bad, as the cigs. themselves.

Good luck!!!
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

deutz4

I have to agree with Mike_Van that Marlboro gets a hold on you. I disliked (not hated) smoking almost from the start but was able to quit several times on bets because I dipped in between. I finally quit after getting involved in a bet with a guy that I knew would be an easy mark. He paid off 10 yearslater when he was going thru a divorce. It was not a happy victory. I was more hooked on chewing tobacoo then smoking by far. I finally gave it up after a heart scare about 10 yrs ago. To this day I don't trust myself to have a celebratory cigar because I know that just putting it to my lips will awaken yearnings I haven't had in years. I personnaly believe that smoking is far more dangerous than chewing but neither one makes any sense knowing what we now know.

sawmilllawyer

Hang tough Lee B, the craving will go away, and soon you will not be able to stand the smell on people, in cars or any where else.  My 23 year old son (smoker) rode with me the other day and I got a headache from the smell. Hard to believe, huh. I ride him about smoking daily, although I probably  should'nt. As far as the oil field goes this is my second time of going through the cycle. First time was in 1983.   
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

LeeB

I already didn't like the smell of cigarettes. I smoked little import cigars and they don't have that same acrid smell as a cigarette. Still hanging in there. :)  One of the guys tried to get me to smoke with him this morning.  >:( Not happening.

Thank You Sponsors!