iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

side loader log trucks

Started by Tombstone, July 25, 2009, 10:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombstone

Wondering what some of you thought about the side loader log trucks? If any of you had one and or where you might get the set up for a cab and chassis?
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Ironwood

I guess I have never seen one of those.

Iornwood ???
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

4genlgr

you talkin' a "sidewinder" where the wood is perpendicular to frame of the truck instead of parallel??

mike_van

Or the cable run arms where each log is lifted & drops to the deck? Like one that was on TV?
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tombstone

Yeah like the one that was on tv Mike.
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

mike_van

This thread https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,34196.0.html    covers some of the comments of the one from TV tombstone.  The forum search tab above might get you some more info.

Don K

I saw one the other day mounted on a old single axle Ford truck in a man's yard that deals in scrap iron. Don't know if it runs or not. I'm scared to ask, I might try to buy it. ::)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Dave Shepard

You don't know if it runs, you might be scared of it, but you want to buy it anyway. :D That's usually how I get into trouble too. ;) ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gary_C

I don't know what a side loading truck is either, but I do know those side unloading trucks have either been banned or run off the roads. Seems like releasing those stakes to unload was just too hazardous to continue. So be aware of that if you find one.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

pineywoods

For details on the sidewinder loader, do a search for the thread on mule logging..or go to my photo gallery.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

Don, go ahead and ask about the truck, we wanna know. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

CLL

Seen one over the week-end. I had a friend that had one, that didn't work properly sometimes. I promise you one thing they will hurt you fast if you don't pay attention. Just open the throttle up, pull handle and wham it slings the log on the bed. Makes all kinds of noise.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Tombstone

thank you all for the great relpies and info. I may just build one at some point. I know they seem fairly dangerous. I think if you took the time and tried to do it right it may be just fine. I like the idea of a smaller truck for a small timer like me ;D

ronnie tucker

ky tn north ala or ms they are around and still used mainly by mule loggers they wouldnot cost much they work alright i used to have one but now hire my hauling done ronnie tucker tn logger

Tripp

Looks like it would be awful tough on the truck with the logs slamming in there all the time.
At the same time it looks simple and effective.

Tripp

redprospector

I tear my stuff up enough just setting logs on it real easy like with a grapple bucket.
I can just imagine how much mechanic, and welding practice I'd get if I was throwing logs on the deck. But it was fun to watch on TV.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Don K

I think I would load a layer of the smaller logs first to absorb the impact of the bigger ones plus they wouldn't have as far to fall then top out with smaller top logs for even weight distribution.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

mike_van

tombstone, just my 2 cents here - before I ever thought of building one of these loaders, I'd go looking for a used crane, log truck, Hiab loader, etc. I think our member Ironwood just scrapped a couple of them.  From what I saw on TV the side loaders just aren't the best way to load logs.  A crane on the otherhand, you can move about anything with. I've been hired with mine to move machines, gunsafes, wood furnaces, stoves, farm equipment, etc.  The guys Fort Knox safe I moved wouldn't have looked too good if I'd flipped it up onto the truck with a side loader!  :D  Anyway, there's reasons these are getting hard to find, besides being a little on the risky side.

ronnie tucker

the reason they are not used too much anymore is so many have quit using horse stock with a mule you can put the log right on the forks and not have to do much cant hook  work yes if you put a couple of smaller logs on first it is easier on the truck about 400 to 500 feet was the limit on the size log you could load ronnie tucker tn logger

Tombstone

thanks for all the input, you are probly right mike!

Banjo picker

Quote from: ronnie tucker on August 06, 2009, 10:22:49 PM
the reason they are not used too much anymore is so many have quit using horse stock with a mule you can put the log right on the forks and not have to do much cant hook  work yes if you put a couple of smaller logs on first it is easier on the truck about 400 to 500 feet was the limit on the size log you could load ronnie tucker tn logger

Ronnie is right on....I know a fellow that has sold his horse, and offered me his side loader on a truck that runs for $800.00....I just don't need nothing else to keep insurance on...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ronnie tucker

banjo picker can you contact me i might want to learn more ronnie tucker

Banjo picker

I been out of town ronnie....i sent you a pm.....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

lancek

Another inexpensive way of loading logs on a small truck is to buy two small winchs at harbor fright or any other store that might offer these type of products and mount them on your truck bed by your bunk up rights, Make your up rights so you can fold them down to the ground on eather side and then place your log next to truck and a cable on each end going under the log and back up to your upright! As you winch in the cable the log rolls on to the truck and up aginst the up rights after you lay the frist layer of logs you move your uprights to the top and do it all over agian till your loded! It only would cost about 500.00 n materials and you could use any flat bed truck!

Magicman

Sorta like this except on a larger scale.  I am using a 8.5K MileMarker winch,

Don't laugh at these "empty" logs.  The customer wanted them to disappear, and I got paid.... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!