iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dragon flies on the Power pole guide line

Started by Tom, July 25, 2009, 08:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Today has been a real burner.  I had made it to the barn to work on the backhoe and was resting in the grass next to the power pole.  The air was full of dragonflies.  I love dragonflies. They are colorful, fast and friendly. 

Then I noticed that they were resting on the guideline of the pole.  Every six inches to a foot had a dragonfly resting, facing upwards.  There must have been forty or fifty.

I then made my way to the mill, where I finished sawing the last two logs that a neighbor had brought. Resting in the shade of the head of the mill, me and my worker became enthralled with dragonflies that were lighting upon the stick we had leaned on the mill.  He spent a good deal of time trying, unsuccessfully, to get one to sit on his finger.  It was a lot of fun and brought back memories of our playing with them as a child.

Dragonflies would light on our shoulder and stay there if we didn't make sudden moves.  We boys, as boys will do, tried to make it into the classroom with as many on us as we could.  During class, they would occasionally lift off, fly around the room and disrupt the class as the girls would squeal and throw their hands into the air.  Men teachers thought it funny.   The women teachers were imports from other areas of the country and would usually get mad for the first couple of days.  Then they realized, perhaps with the help of the men teachers, that "boys will be boys" and this southern classroom was probably no different than a classroom might have been in their home town.

Those were fun days.  Days when you could go barefoot at school, carried a pocketknife, rolled up the bottoms of your trousers, played ball on the schoolyard, worked mischievously in class, and rode your bike all over town.

LeeB

Did ya'll right on slates and poor your own pencil leads between the cracks in the floor boards?  Oops, Guess it wasn't quite that far back.  :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

We had a swarm of the big green ones blow out to the rig one time on a cold front. I never saw so many at one time. they piled up on the decks 4-6 inches deep. We all thought it was neat till they started to rot. Boy what a stink that made.  smiley_airfreshener smiley_airfreshener smiley_airfreshener
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Radar67

Here ya go Tom. They have been lighting over here too.

These were taken 9 days apart.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ironwood

I love them too, Something so graceful, fragile and tenacious. Dragonflies have been around since the time of the dinosaurs, 350 million + years. They were bigger then 3' wingspan.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

We see a few, but thinking it is too cold for them this summer.

Tom's recollections of the dragon flies reminds me of doing somewhat the same. But with a mouse or garter snake turned loose for the right teacher. Pandee-monium !!   :o :o :o   ;D ;D
Tried to leave a live sparrow in the teachers center desk drawer, but it was flying out just as the drawer was being closed...ugh!!!  Not pretty.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sprucegum

I remember watching a dragonfly hatch out of its cocoon when I was a youngster. It was a brilliant blue that faded a bit as it dried.

Thank You Sponsors!