iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidsteer making me nuts

Started by cheyenne, July 25, 2009, 04:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyenne

I have a Gehl 4635SX skid steer that won't turn over. Brand new battery. starter & solenoid just rebuilt last week. I have checked & cleaned every connection on the machine. Put the key in, buzzer buzzes then stops as it should. Turn the key on it just goes thunk. This is making me nuts. Any suggestions  smiley_old_guy    Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Fla._Deadheader

What was just rebuilt ?? Can you get it to turn by other means, to be sure it's not bound up ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

olyman

also. are all batt and starter connections spotless?? if so,you still can have corrosion in one of the ends. you may have voltage, but no amperage.

okmulch

My CAT loaders do this every once in a while after a rain. When the key is turned on the lights come on but when you try to start  there is nothing and all the lights go out. I open the back door and In the engine compartment up on the side of the frame  there are some wires that go into some kind of breaker or several different connections. I wiggle these wires and presto it starts right up. It also helps when I clean all of the cedar needles off of them too.
Don't know if it is the same problem, but just a suggestion.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Handy Andy

My wife's car battery went bad one time, so I went and bought a new battery and put it in, and it kindof acted like that.  Lights worked, but hit the starter and just click.  And guess what, it was the battery.  Guess the new one had been on the shelf too long.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ironwood

Hydrualically froze? You seem really knowlegable, but could they fuel have filled the cylinder to the point that it wont turn over? I had this happen once on a gas engine, unlikely on a diesel (W/ pumps and all) but just an idea.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Kevin

I would be putting a volt meter at the starter and checking for voltage when the key is turned.
If it doesn't have the 12+ volts there then chase it back towards the battery.

tyb525

On my chevy truck the battery is a side-post style. Sometimes one of the terminals will work itself loose to where it gets enough juice to turn on the lights but once you try to start it, it's dead. Once I tighten the nuts on the terminal posts the problem goes away.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ScottAR

Ohm your battery cables...  Could be broken inside or have a
bad connector.  Check for voltage drop at solenoid too.  Had
a tractor only sending 8volts to the "go" wire and it wouldn't
start either  ;)

Almost forgot...  Take the belts off the motor and give it a try.
On cars with Serpentine belts sometimes the A/C compressor
or water pump etc. will lock up and the starter can't overcome
the drag. 

Just some ideas...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

CLL

My chevy diesel would do the same thing if one of the battery cables was loose, especially the ground
Too much work-not enough pay.

IMERC

put a manual start button on the start relay...
ignition on...
hit the button....

do it from the cab and not fron outside in case it starts...

if it turns over you have a bad ignition or safty or dead man...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

mike_van

I'd go with bad battery connection too, stumped me for awhile on my F350.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

ladylake

If it's thunking when you try to start it, sounds like the starter is trying to turn it over. As mentioned froze motor or hydraulic pump, bad starter drive.   Any safety switches?    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jeffreythree

Check your ground connections.  Ran into this quite a few times on various forklifts and loaders.  Corroded ground connections or bad negative cables were causing to much resistance to get the things started, but enough to light everything up.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

cheyenne

Well I finally figured it out. I went through this thing from top to bottom, Had a mechanic fron the dealer look at it, said the engine was siezed. Had a local heavey equipment repair business look at it, Said the engine was siezed. Had a friend check all the relays with an ohm meter, all fine. So I go and play with it for two hours, nothing, I say it can't be a siezed engine it's only got 900 hours on it. O.K. lets start from scratch. It's got to be electrical. Pull the battery, which is brand new, clean all the posts, AGAIN, put it on the charger, Pull the cables, AGAIN, clean the clamps AGAIN, Well I'm looking at the clamp on the positive cable, all shiny & new & I say what the hell pull it off & take it apart. Well I take it off, take the clamp bar off & turn it over, Whala a little rust, very little, the inside of the clamp & the end of the cable is grey, so I clean them all up neato spiffy. I say this can't be the problem, What the hell put it back together see what happens. Turn the key on *****lights***** bells*****whistles*****turn key to start *****veeerrooooom*****She purrs like a kitten. Just proves never take anything for granted or believe a mechanic that says it's a siezed engine........Cheyenne

IMERC

mike_van

Good for you! I got a Johnsered for free once - Guy took it to the dealer, wouldn't turn over, dealer said "needs bearings, cheaper to buy a new one" Well, long story short, the little brass screw that holds the throttle plate on fell out, got sucked into the cylinder, ever time it came to TDC, it stopped.  "Just proves never take anything for granted or believe a mechanic that says it's a siezed engine........Cheyenne"   You Betcha! 8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

T Red

Did the dealer or heavy equipment repair actually look at the machine and check it out?

If they did that's two places I would not visit again.

Tim

cheyenne

Yes they did........They only cut their own throats........Cheyenne

isawlogs

I am sitting here wundering what would of happened if you had sent it to the dealer, them change the motor , and it still not firering up .. and finding after that , the electrical issue ... Or having them change the motor nut they find the electrical issue before , what they would of done ...  ???  Voila la question ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

Oh , I am darn happy ya got her fixed up  ;) 8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

IMERC

you know they would never admit they were wrong and would have covered their tracks...

easymoney

i bet if you had had the dealer to replace the engine he would not have told you when he found what was really the problem. i was talking to a fellow that ran a garage and wrecker service one day he told about a fellow that called him for a tow one day said the transmission had gone out on his car. when he checked the car he said he found a transmission cooler line broken. he replaced it and filled the transmission with fluid and the car ran fine. he charged the customer for a transmission rebuild. the customer said that the transmission worked much better than the old one. :'( ;D

Woodchuck53

Hey Cheyenne, I've been reading the post on electrical problems and really enjoyed yours. I go home tomorrow and plan on removing all the fittings and terminals again and checking for hidden corrosion. Then crossing the fingers and hitting the key again. Will post when I get back and tell all what I find so maybe it will help us less mechanical. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

James P.

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 25, 2009, 05:20:59 PM

What was just rebuilt ?? Can you get it to turn by other means, to be sure it's not bound up ???
ok I find it hard to believe that a mechanic would say an engine is seized without actually trying to turn the motor over by hand. Unless you think they were just trying to sell you a motor. well glad you figured it out.

Thank You Sponsors!