iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

easiest way to KILL production while milling

Started by spencerhenry, July 24, 2009, 09:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhenry

at first i thought of this topic as a joke, and then i thought "if you know what slows you down then maybe you can stop doing those things"

here are a few that ruin my production
1. running out of fuel (priming the diesel sucks)
2. running out of water (the water is at the house not near the mill)
3. hitting the supports with the blade (rare but a real pith off)
4. pitchy, knotty, crooked, or too small of logs
5. waiting for the off bearer who acts like each board weighs more than him
6. running out of logs
7. forgetting what i am doing (dreaming of hunting not milling)
8. having to move the slab pile, or lumber pile, or sawdust pile

Ron Wenrich

There was talk of putting a hose up to the booth so I wouldn't have to stop for those outhouse breaks.   :D

I would add nails and trash metal to the list.  They kill my production.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Having to stack the DanG boards  :).  You can saw, saw, saw, but you have to stack, stack, stack :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

farmboy1tn

good friends that come to visit and ask alot of questions.

LeeB

A cold watermellon on a hot day. Didn't take long did it?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: spencerhenry on July 24, 2009, 09:29:48 PM
at first i thought of this topic as a joke, and then i thought "if you know what slows you down then maybe you can stop doing those things"

here are a few that ruin my production
1. running out of fuel (priming the diesel sucks)
2. running out of water (the water is at the house not near the mill)
3. hitting the supports with the blade (rare but a real pith off)
4. pitchy, knotty, crooked, or too small of logs
5. waiting for the off bearer who acts like each board weighs more than him
6. running out of logs
7. forgetting what i am doing (dreaming of hunting not milling)
8. having to move the slab pile, or lumber pile, or sawdust pile

#1 can be solved by fueling up while doing the daily oiling. Either at the start or the end of the day.  
#2 I carry a 35 gal jug of water in the truck along with two of the 5 gallon mill jugs, this allows me to keep one jug ready at all times.
#3 see #7
#4 If they are the customers logs there is not a lot you can do about that unless you choose to not mill them. If they are your logs then buy better logs.
#5 Work alone then you can kick it up a notch, or get a bigger helper so you can cut off bigger boards. You can base there pay on percentage rather then by the hour, or give a production bonus based on percentage if your production is higher then a set level for the day.
#6 see #5
#7 stay focused on #3
#8 Review your site lay out, and look for ways to minimize the amount of handling of materials.

#9 Handling over sized logs that require a chainsaw artist to trim the guides out after getting them stuck.

#10 Using the wrong saw for the type of wood that you are milling.

#11 Not having the right tool to make a repair.

#12 an indecisive customer.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ladylake

A offbearer who has to inspect every board before getting ot of the way.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

I agree with backwoods sawyer's item # 12.

Nothing slows me down more than the customer not having his mind made up!

What I usually get is a list from the customer that says:  I want xx 2x6x8, xx 2x6x10, xx 1x8x8, etc. 
Most times they'll say "when you get the list done, put the rest into random width inch boards!
Sometimes, the customer will mark the end of the log with  2x6, 2x8, etc, knowing he'll get an occasional inch board or 2x4 or some other such board.

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Celeriac

Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

StorminN

Quote from: Celeriac on July 25, 2009, 12:14:20 PMA little dirt in the Solex.  Aaargh!

I hear that one! Mine needs a cleaning right now...

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

sgschwend

Folks stopping by and asking what I am doing with the firewood pile.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

D Martin

Geting so busy with Work, Band, life in general, you forget you even have a mill.

petefrom bearswamp

I have killed production (altho I am not a high production guy at all)  by not paying attention to long shards of pine Spruce or Hemlock wood from the de-barker jamming  the in-feed side blade roller causing it to stop and the blade to wear a spot or two in the back of the blade roller.
this is especially a problem when running the lubemizer system.
I'm sure this could be alleviated by paying better attention.
Pete

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Rancher

Everything here and...cutting more and more trying to cut that one bad spot out of a log that you didn't see to start with. Only to end up with expensive firewood. 
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

Shamus

Not sharpening frequently enough, slowing down your feed rate so you don't bog down the engine.
("I'll re-sharpen after the log deck is empty.")

Trying to squeeze one last funky board from the bottom of the log.

Rolling a log off the mill because you forgot to raise the backstops...
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

OneWithWood

Getting into arguments with my primary helpers, me and myself.

It just kills productivity and the discussions tend to go in circles  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Mr Mom

watching the cute thing across the road mowing in a two pice swimsuite.
just messes up my day.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

islandlogger

4gettin to use the metal detector because your in a all blazes hurry to get the order out and hitting them bloody nails some well meaning fella didn't pull outa the tree after he put them there in the middle of the bloody woods where no nail should be, really chaps my butt!!

Cedarman

Reading the forum. :D :D :D  Sometimes makes for a late start.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Sprucegum

Dodgy Loner

Not to be confused with Ants on a Log ;D ;D ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Sprucegum

:D Finally, some ants I can eat  :D

And it only took 23 posts to get to food  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!