iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to ship a headsaw

Started by apm, July 21, 2009, 06:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apm

I'm getting ready to ship a headsaw off for evaluation/hammering. It's an auction pickup and I'd like to have it fixed up for a spare. I've always driven my saws over to North Carolina to have them hammered, but the guy I've used has now retired. I found a shop I'd like to send it to, but it's too far to drive. I don't have one of those official looking saw boards, so what's the safest way to package and ship one?

Thanks,

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Fla._Deadheader

Build one. You will need it, anyway. Can't be that difficult ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Build a board like this only smaller. :)

Seriously, you could call Menominee saw to the left and ask how they would want you to prepare one to ship. You might even consider them. Peach hammers saws from all across the united States.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

apm

Well, fla deadheader, I suppose that was a reasonable response. Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. I do intend to build something to ship it in. It's only a 40" saw, so my tendency would be to take a sheet of plywood, cut it in half and sandwich the saw blade in between. I could ring the edge with 1 X 3's and still have enough room inside for the saw. The commercial ones I've seen all seem to be round. Is there a reason for that? It seems like if it were round, the truck driver would have to lay it down, and then all manner of stuff would get stacked on top of it. If it were in a square package, it could easily be stood up against one side of the truck without rolling around.

Thanks, Jeff for the picture. Those were the type I'd seen before and always wondered why. They've got one side open, too. Seems like it would leave a saw vulnerable for shipping.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

LeeB

The round one looks like it would be easy to get the saw out without detroying the crate so it could be easily re-used.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

Not meant to be a smarta$$. Thought you might have seen one. They are made that way for a reason. Easier to ROLL around and still stand upright. You never said what size blade you had.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

QuoteSeems like it would leave a saw vulnerable for shipping.
I don't mean for this to sound like a smart aleck response, but vulnerable to what?  :) 

The round saw box allows you to roll and move the saw around, easily protecting the really only vulnerable part in shipping, the edge of the saw.  Many saw boxes are not even completely solid on either side, but one side should be open, other then a board across the diameter with a hole in it to bolt the saw into the box
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Our saw boards look a lot like the big one, except there is a board across the center that has a bolt to hold the saw in place. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

All good info given,the easier and lighter you make it to handle the better your 40" could probibly go UPS.Round allows easy rolling with no fliping or draging.If you keep the bits protected your golden.Be sure to rite all the saw and mill info on the crate, hand ,bearing type,speed est.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brisawyer

Who did you use in Nc. I am in Bristol and have been trying to get ahold of the saw doc in Fleetwood Nc. Brett Winegar is his name his number is no good now.

apm

Many years ago, I used an old timer named Walter Winebarger over in West Jefferson. Most recently I used a guy over in Sawmills, North Carolina named Jim Hollifield. Neither one of these guys had full time shops, just had hammered saws on the side, for locals, for years. Walter was still hammering saws into his eighties, but he died several years ago.
Are you Bristol, Tn or Virginia? What kind of mill are you running?

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Brisawyer

Brett is Walters son. He hammered full time. I used him 2 years ago did a great job. Guss i will have to ride over there. Im looking for a few parts and odds and ends. I live in Bristol tn  the mill is in Bristol Va. Its a meadows used to be on wood now on steel. 48" saw 4-71 power. our main customer is Bristol metals.They average about 18,000 bf a month of 2x6 to ship pipe on. We also do some custom sawing. Where are you located apm?

apm

When you said Winegar, I wondered if there was a connection. I don't think I ever met Brett. Walter had his saw hammering shed on the side of some massive chicken houses. Stunk in there, but he sure could handle a saw. I used to run a Meadows #2, but that was years ago. Just hobby sawing, now with a Belsaw. I'm in Butler, just outside of Mountain City. You come right by here on your way to West Jefferson. I've got a CNC production machine shop, here. American Precision Machine (APM). Wish I had 4-71 power. Looking for a free standing power unit, now use tractor PTO.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Thank You Sponsors!