iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swingmill vs. Bandsaw

Started by otherguy, July 20, 2009, 08:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otherguy

Is there any place you can point me that will tell me the advantages/dis-advantages of each type of mill?  They are comparable aren't they? 

Didn't know if there was some reviews between the two.
Thanks

LeeB

Try the search function. There are pros and cons to both.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

I have both.
Swing mill will handle LARGE logs that are too heavy or too big dia to get on a Band mill.
Swing mill has larger kerf, more sawdust per cut.
Swing mill is push and pull by hand. ALL manual operation.
Swing mill leaves thicker slab on the ground from large logs that can't be turned or elevated.
Swing mill blades are more money than band blades, but, last longer, and teeth can be changed.
Swing mill has to be loaded-unloaded for portable sawing.
Swing mill no edging required for cut lumber.

Band mill CAN be totally electric-hydraulic controlled.
Band mill handles smaller very well.
Band mill has thin kerf, less sawdust.
Band mill blades are much less money to buy, but they are throwaway when sharpened to limit.
Band mill can be towable for portable milling.
Band mill needs outer lumber edged after cutting.

There are more, but, that gets most of your questions answered.

What are your needs ???
Band mill can cost 2-3-4 times more than swing mill.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

mcfcfan

Petersons have a fully automated swingmill, check the website sponsor link under products ASM
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

otherguy

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 20, 2009, 08:22:34 PM

I have both.
Swing mill will handle LARGE logs that are too heavy or too big dia to get on a Band mill.
Swing mill has larger kerf, more sawdust per cut.
Swing mill is push and pull by hand. ALL manual operation.
Swing mill leaves thicker slab on the ground from large logs that can't be turned or elevated.
Swing mill blades are more money than band blades, but, last longer, and teeth can be changed.
Swing mill has to be loaded-unloaded for portable sawing.
Swing mill no edging required for cut lumber.

Band mill CAN be totally electric-hydraulic controlled.
Band mill handles smaller very well.
Band mill has thin kerf, less sawdust.
Band mill blades are much less money to buy, but they are throwaway when sharpened to limit.
Band mill can be towable for portable milling.
Band mill needs outer lumber edged after cutting.

There are more, but, that gets most of your questions answered.

What are your needs ???
Band mill can cost 2-3-4 times more than swing mill.

thanks for all the info.

Portability is a need, I would like to bring the mill as close as possible to the logs.  Which a swingmill you can set up around the log correct?  I have access to a very old tractor, just not sure it would move these logs easily.  Once the swingmill is set up you can bring the logs to it can't you? you just don't have to get it up a ramp like a bandsaw mill?  correct.

Have you tried the Thin-Kerf Swingmill blades? 
Also, I saw something about Swingmills having "bounce" when doing vertical cuts, what does that effect?
Do swingmills cut as evenly as bandmills since you have to double cut to get wider pieces?

Logs are 24-40" in dia. at the base with about 22 feet runs before branches.  Being doing lots of research on bandsaw mills then someone mentioned a swingmill so I thought I would look into it.  this would only be a weekend thing as the trees a little drive away at a relatives field.

logwalker

Are you sure you are ready to slide down that slippery slope?  :D :D Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Fla._Deadheader

Yes, Peterson does have an automated mill. Mucho plata.  ::) ::) ;D ;D

Any mill you have to get the logs and the mill in the same place. Ususlly, bunks are cut at 8" X 8" X 4-5 feet long, 2 or 3 according to the length of the logs. You can roll logs up a slight incline, and then you can saw the entire log, leaving very little slab. Peterson website has videos. Most sawmill sites have videos, or, will mail one for you to watch.

Maybe you might consider going to a Foresty Equipment- Agricultural Show, and watch demonstrations. Look at the link at the top of the pages on this forum, for possible locations of sawyers near you. Then see if you can visit them.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ianab

Swingmills (and twin saws) are the norm in this part of the world, mostly due to the size of the normal logs we cut (big)

QuotePortability is a need, I would like to bring the mill as close as possible to the logs.  Which a swingmill you can set up around the log correct?  I have access to a very old tractor, just not sure it would move these logs easily.  Once the swingmill is set up you can bring the logs to it can't you? you just don't have to get it up a ramp like a bandsaw mill?  correct.

The swingblades are very portable, I've moved mine into rough places towed behind a quad bike. As long as you have a semi level spot around the log you can set up the mill around the log in maybe 10mins and start sawing.

Alternatively if you have a stack of smaller logs you can stage them up on simple bunks and roll them into place under the mill rails.

I look at how heavy the log is compared to the mill. Small logs are easy enough to move to the mill, especially if you have a tractor or similar. But big ones.. just move the mill, it's easier.

QuoteHave you tried the Thin-Kerf Swingmill blades? 

Not personally. They do cut faster and create less sawdust, but you loose cutting depth. The thinner blade has a heavy collar to re-inforce it, so the 8" saw only cuts 6" with thin kerf.

QuoteAlso, I saw something about Swingmills having "bounce" when doing vertical cuts, what does that effect?

Sometimes a combination of wood type and blade ends up with the sawhead bouncing a bit in the cut when you do a full depth vertical cut. End result, you have to slow down in the cut to let the bounce die off. There are mods to most of the mills to reduce this problem.

QuoteDo swingmills cut as evenly as bandmills since you have to double cut to get wider pieces?

Depends who you ask  ;)
If you want to cut veneers,then the bandmill will give you thinnner slices. But swingmills will generally cut straight in any situation. They are less likely to track off course around knots, especially as the saw get blunt. Double cutting does leave a small step in middle of the cut, but it's of the size that you would normally just plane out. 

The larger logs are where the swingmills really shine. 40"+ logs are actually fun to mill, as opposed to trying to saw one on a manual bandmill.

Peterson do make a fully automatic swingmill, and it's a beast  ;D  But it's probably a bit more $$ than you can justify for a weekend operation. You really want a crew of 3 or 4 to keep the machine fed and cutting full time. You can run any of the mills single handed, but having a helper to two will sure speed up production. The manual mills can get through a lot of logs in a day if you are set up right. Yes they are manual, but running them is not actually hard work. Offloading is the hard part, especially if you start cutting sleepers or beams  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bandmiller2

Outherguy,if you can find boath types of mill in your area help out the owners for a wile then you will know what you like best and is most practical for you.where are you located??FrankC.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

otherguy

The swingmills are still thinner kerf than the chainsaw mills aren't they?

Ianab

Quote from: otherguy on July 21, 2009, 01:08:07 PM
The swingmills are still thinner kerf than the chainsaw mills aren't they?

Yes, but kerf isn't really such an issue compared to accuracy, speed and ease of use.

Chainsaw mills generally cut straight, but they dont do so good on the other 2.

Bandmills have a thinner kerf, that means you MIGHT get one or 2 more boards from a log, or not.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dan_Shade

where are you located, otherguy?

if you're serious about buying a mill, it's a good idea to see one in operation.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Captain

Everybody knows what side of the fence I'm on, but I can certainly appreciate the benefits of mills of all types.

Captain

moonhill

Don't the swing mills have an attachment for a long bar to slab wide planks?  I would think this option would be of interest.  Use it as a head saw for large cants and re saw on the band mill.  You should have both. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Part_Timer

I have one of the thin kerf swingmill blades and I like it a lot.  It's amazing how much less sawdust their is with it.  It is especially useful on small logs as the logs seem to be more stable while the blade is in the log.  You do have to use quite a bit of water with them and hitting metal is almost assured to require a retipping job.  No buyers remorse here.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

sgschwend

Sounds like you have need for only one job, why not hire it?  Give the sawyer a hand and learn a bit about the business that way. 

To go into business you should be looking at your market and the way you will provide a solution (equipment you will need) and what price you can expect to be paid.  Even part time you probably don't want to work for free.  Good Luck, and welcome to the board.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

otherguy

Quote from: sgschwend on July 22, 2009, 11:00:30 PM
Sounds like you have need for only one job, why not hire it?  Give the sawyer a hand and learn a bit about the business that way. 

To go into business you should be looking at your market and the way you will provide a solution (equipment you will need) and what price you can expect to be paid.  Even part time you probably don't want to work for free.  Good Luck, and welcome to the board.

Right now there are about 30-50 logs, I would rather do it myself and not hire it out.  I am not doing this for a business, at least not right now, not even part time.  I just want to use the wood for woodworking, so why not make my own wood.  I am also looking down the road when I can use it to build a shed or fencing for our property. 

If some business pops up due to the fact that I own one then that is fine and is a plus, just thinking over the long run I would get my money back by not having to buy lumber to build things, granted that might take years and years.

I am getting to go see a swingmill in a couple of weeks, so that should answer lots of questions.

backwoods sawyer

I have Lt-70, a 48" Alaska mill, and an old bell saw that is still in project form. From time to time, I come across logs that would be better milled by a swing mill, like a deck of 6' coastal spruce. Having the slabber attachment on one would be better then using the Alaska mill for slabs. Having both mills they would complement each other. However, I cannot see a swing mill replacing my bandmill. For a hobby mill they are good choises.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dan_Shade

I've spent some time working around a swingmill.  I think if the majority of your logs are under 30" diameter, you're better off with a bandsaw.

The slabbers are still brutal to use.  I helped mill some slabs from a ~5ft. diameter white oak log, it was a very slow process.  Large slabs have a lot of logistical problems that you don't realize until you start working with them.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Firebass

Quote from: Captain on July 22, 2009, 07:07:20 AM
Everybody knows what side of the fence I'm on, but I can certainly appreciate the benefits of mills of all types.

Captain

I think I'm with Captain

I like the fact that I can saw a huge log with my 4x4, winch and saw.  No lifting other than the boards that comimg off the mill.  But bandsaw would be nice in addition for cutting cants up.

Firebass

farmboy1tn

my best advice is that, how you plan on using your mill, how big are your logs,  suport equipment you have, and help you have on hand. all this fine people have also in lighten us on there great operations. i have learned so much from here, you are in great company.

otherguy

Quote from: Firebass on July 24, 2009, 11:02:09 AM
Quote from: Captain on July 22, 2009, 07:07:20 AM

Captain

I think I'm with Captain

I like the fact that I can saw a huge log with my 4x4, winch and saw.  No lifting other than the boards that comimg off the mill.  But bandsaw would be nice in addition for cutting cants up.

Firebass

That is a big point I have started to look at.  Not having to move logs around much if at all.  Since I don't have to bring the log to the band mill and load it.  Granted I could parbuckle it up with the tractor but if I don't have to.  Plus the fact of turning the logs, I can get log turners on a band, just more money.  Same way with hydraulic log loaders.

Quote from: farmboy1tn on July 24, 2009, 11:45:46 PM
my best advice is that, how you plan on using your mill, how big are your logs,  suport equipment you have, and help you have on hand. all this fine people have also in lighten us on there great operations. i have learned so much from here, you are in great company.

Equipment as far as tractors is limited, that about the only equipment I have access to.  It why a swing mill might work for my instance. 

farmboy1tn

well glad to see that all these fine people have helped you see the big picture better. you want regret sawing your own logs.

Thank You Sponsors!