iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting a new dog

Started by Frickman, July 19, 2009, 10:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

Snowball made it to almost fifteen years old before she had a stroke and went to doggie heaven a week ago. This is the first time in most of twenty years I haven't had a dog riding in or on the truck so a friend is bringing a puppy over in the morning for me to look at. I'll probably keep her, she's some kind of sheep herding dog breed that he raises and trains. Her momma is pretty smart so I hope that she is too. I told him that I have to find one soon as riding around without a dog is hurting my image. Everyone knows its me when they see a Ford truck with a dog on back, ears flapping in the wind. If I keep her I think I'll call her Molly unless someone else comes up with a better name.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

D._Frederick

I hope that she is an Australian shepard, and she would like riding in front with you better.

LeeB

How did you come to pick Molly for the name?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Warbird

Glad to hear about the puppy.  I hope it works out.  Post some pics!

Frickman

She came this morning, already named Kate. She's a registered border collie, black with white trim, about a year old. Her lineage can be traced back to Scotland and Ireland. Her grandsire was a regional sheep herding trials champion and his grandsire was a world trials champion. Kate hasn't wanted to take up sheep herding herself which is why I got her. She seems to be pretty smart and good with kids and is a good companion which is all I'm after.

I have never liked dogs riding up front with me. I get the cab dirty enough as it is. I don't need a dog helping out. Around my area there are alot of folks who carry dogs in the back, especially in the summer.

Sorry, no pictures. I don't have a digital camera. and if I had one, I wouldn't know how to post a picture.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

fishpharmer

Sounds like you got a buddy Frickman.  Good for you.  Every good dog deserves a good man.  Its real common to see dogs in the back of trucks around here in MS too.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

In Michigan they passed a law that a dog has to be tied off in two directions to be allowed to ride in the back. When up North, if Ice gets dirty while we are out and about, she goes in the back, without tether.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Good grief.  If you put your kid in the back, how tied up do they have to be?   ::)

Jeff

Quote from: Warbird on July 21, 2009, 05:27:45 PM
Good grief.  If you put your kid in the back, how tied up do they have to be?   ::)

That is a law too.  18 and older can; 17 and younger if the vehicle is moving 15 mph or less; parades; military vehicles; emergency situations; farming; construction
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

Quote from: fishpharmer on July 21, 2009, 03:42:41 AM
Its real common to see dogs in the back of trucks around here in MS too.

Yea, that way you can say it's the dog's beer.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

[/quote]

Yea, that way you can say it's the dog's beer.
[/quote]

Now that's funny! :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Frickman

Kate's been riding on the truck the last two days. I tied her on the first few trips to make sure she didn't jump off. She seems to behave herself so now she rides untethered. I guess I got me a good buddy for the next decade or so.  :)

Lanier_Lurker

Only breed of dog I have ever seen with more energy than a border collie is a jack russell terrier.

Has Kate taught you her favorite game(s) yet?

Frickman

The only game Kate likes to play is tries to herd me when we go for a walk. That's OK if she is loose. If I have her on a leash she ends up wrapping the leash around my legs. She has some energy, but not too much. A neighbor has a Jack Russel that is completely nuts. I have never seen any animal with that much energy.

Roxie

It sounds like you've got yourself a wonderful companion.  Border Collies are terrific with kids too, and they are great frisbee players. 
We had a Border Collie when we were kids, and when we would take a walk, the collie would circle the group of us by going around the front child and walking around the back child.  We'd be strung out over a 1/8 mile, and the dog just kept circling us.  It was great!   :)
Say when

Heywood

Molly's a good name.  I named my dog Heywood Ulysses Reynolds, we call him HeyU for short.  The Heywood is 'in memoriam' for Heywood Broun, and the Ulysses because it fits.  His mom was a registered German Shepherd, but no one knew who dad was so his surname is Reynolds (not ours) (His mom wasn't married when he came along.)
He's a fifteen year dog and it's questionable now who will hang around longer, him or me.  His pic is to the left of this post because he also serves as my avatar in addition to his watch-dogging, guard duties, and my constant companion.

There was a dog named HeyU in the old comic strip 'Gasoline Alley'.

Here in Delaware the past Governor and her political crony Brady, came up with proposed legislation to make it illegal for dogs to ride in the back of pickup trucks.  I don't know if  it was ever enacted, but it certainly cost them my vote and opposition.  I'd give both of them a ride in the back of a pickup right out of Delaware.

DanG

Hey Heywood, I see you made it to the big day.  Congrats on the Octagenarian bit!! 8) 8) 8)  Somehow I managed to overlook it when it came by, but Happy Belated Birthday anyway! :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!