iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash & Spruce door completed, time to put a finish on them!

Started by sbishop, July 16, 2009, 09:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Here's of pic of the ash door, got the hinges installed tonight. boy she's a heavy one. it's 32" wide.

Got my spruce 36" almost done, will be put the hinges on tomorrow night.

Any suggestions on what i should put on for a finish?

Also, i've got a ridge where i joined 2 pieces together..i'd say 1/32 maybe 1/16...i've put some 60grit to it...doesn't seem to help much...can i get 40 or 20 grit for my orbital sander?

Thanks for all the help!

Sbishop

I cut a rebate out of the frame

I also cut the threshold at about 15 degrees

beenthere

For the ridge, I'd scrape it off to level it (that is if I understand you correctly). Sanding will sand the low spot as well as the high, negating the leveling desired.

Nice door.

Will it be exposed to the weather? Or will it be under a porch and away from sun and rain exposure?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sbishop

What can i use to scrape it off with?

it's going under a covered porch..shouldn't be any rain on it and only a few hours of sun each morning. But the spruce door is going at the back of the cabin, will be in rain and sun until I got a small roof over it (hopefully next year)

what i did was joint pieces together in 3 sections. didn't really have any ridges except when i when to joint those 3 sections together. i've got one ridge on both sides at one location.

Thanks
Sbishop

Radar67

Use a cabinet scraper or a piece of glass. If you use the glass, put duct tape on the edges you will hold to keep from cutting yourself.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

There are scrapers for scraping wood. But short of not having one, you can use the blade taken from a hand plane, used on end.  (or like Radar67 said   :))

The ridge might be the glue making the wood cells swell a bit. Leave it dry good for awhile before scraping off the ridge. Some drying might bring it back down some and be less scraping.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

I have used a purty good sized paint scraper. But make sure you put a good edge on it.

I have 2 of them with nice big handles dat are reserved for only dat purpose.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Texas Ranger

I agree with Chet, I use a well sharpened paint scraper, biggest you can find, to reduce glue residue and the swelling around the glue line.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

blaze83

Sbishop.

that is one fine looking door,  8)  can't wait to see the pics of it when the finish is on it.

well done!!

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

sbishop

Got my ash door completed lastnight, i'm happy the way it turned out  8)

Just need to put something on it for a finish!

the spruce door will get a sanding tonight!!!!!!!

Sbishop

LeeB

Mighty fine looking door. What did you do about the ridge? I suspect it was from a slight offset in the glue up being as how yousaid it was on both sides of the door. You did well if you only got one glue line out of whack.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sbishop

LeeB, I had 2 ridges (offset) where i glue the sections together, not sure why...on the spruce door they weren't really noticeable.

I ended up sanding down first with 40grit, then 60, 80 and finally 120.  if you slide your hand over the door you can feel a ridge...I feel it, others don't.... ::)  ;D

Got my spruce door completed last night except for sanding on the outside, i didn't put a z brace at the top just in case i decide to put a window in it in the future.

I pick up some boiled linseed oil and turpentine, mix 50/50...I tried a sample piece of ash, it looks sweet....on the spruce..so so...kinda yellowish and doesn't absorb the mix to well...I might try a difference mix amount on the spruce to see if i can get better results.

Another pic of the ash door standing up!

Sbishop

Thank You Sponsors!