iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DanG beams

Started by brdmkr, July 16, 2009, 12:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I should say DanG's beams!  DanG was nice enough to provide the raw product for some 20' 4x12 beams in our house.  The beam on the left is one of them (I cut four from the longleaf that we cut down on his property, but this is the only one I took a picture of ) ::)

Here they are in the loft over the  kitchen.  Obviously they are pretty sturdy as they are holding me up!  The 4x12s are resting on a 6x12 girder that is supported by an easter red cedar log.

I did not take a picture from underneath the kitchen, but here is a shot of the ceiling over the library.  The subfloor above is T&G SYP with a V groove on the underside.

During the last couple of days, there have been two crews working on the house.  They have really made a lot of progress.  The porch went up today.

The contractor has been great.  He has a lot of experience with timbers and has really been able to add a custom touch.  The satisfaction of seeing beams that I cut going into the house is more than I would have thought.  I still have to saw out the red cedar for the closets.  We are going to build our own cabinets (if time will permit) and mill some of our flooring as well. 

One of these days I will have to locate my first post on this forum.  The things I have learned here have helped to make the progress on our home possible.  My deepest thanks to my FF friends and especially Jeff for helping to make this possible.

Hopefully, by this time next year, we can cook a pig at my place 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Warbird

That is beautiful, brdmkr.

Fla._Deadheader

Really nice home.  8) 8)  Keep the photos coming.

You get a Pig Roast planned, and I just might show up. If y'all will have me.  ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Meadows Miller

Gday

Brdmkr Nice looking beams and an even nicer Looking Home Mate  ;) ;D  ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) Keep up the good work an keep em pics coming I love to see people building there on places i just got to get mine on the move ive only had the blocks for 10 yrs now  :o :) :) ::)  ;) :D :D :D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

brdmkr

Quote from: LeeB on July 16, 2009, 01:07:52 AM
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,12801.0.html

You mean this one?

That might be it!  I suppose you know some tricks that I don't as I don't think I could have found that.  I have gotten much advice here. 

My wife has spent as long planning this house as I have been trying to saw.

If any of you are in the SW Georgia area (including you FDH!), I'd be happy to have you drop by for a visit. 

Chris, hang in there on the house.  We have had the land cleared for about 4 years.  I wanted to do the construction myself, but decided that I just would not have time.  I figure that I will do the things that will fit into my time schedule that save me the most money and add some unique features that we wouldn't be able to have without the mill.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

WDH

Breadmaker,

Wow, that is nice!  Nothing like teamwork ;D.

Wait, that is not nice, it is gorgeous 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nas

Beautiful.  I might have to come down for that piggy 8) eh eh
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

DanG

Well, I feel just a touch of pride in knowing that I had a tiny part in the creation of Mike and Greta's house, even if it was just cutting down a tree.  The original plan was for me to saw the beams, but I had to rebuild my engine and we were about to miss the deadline.  We had quite the adventure trying to get that log out of my back yard, too.  We ended up going down the road and borrowing a backhoe to get the job done.  I had had my eye on that tree for years, and I'm tickled to death to see it go to such a noble purpose. 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

DanG,

You are the procuror and Brdmkr is the procuree ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warbird

Breadmaker?  I always thought his name stood for "BoardMaker".  ;)

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

And the tree was the procured. ;D :D

I tell ya, I had gazed wistfully at that tree so much, I thought I was gonna have to name it.  The bloomin' thing kept acting like it wanted to die, but would come back to life.  I had even cut down a couple of smaller pines to create a drop zone, when it turned brown about 5 years ago.  Then it turned green again and looked healthy.  It did that several times, but was looking pretty robust when a suitable purpose for it finally came along.

Actually, Linda feels like the big winner here, as the tree was entirely too close to her bedroom to suit her.  She was glad to see it gone! :D

Warbird, we had quite an entertaining discussion on that issue a few years ago.
Some of us think it should be "Bird Marker", given Mike's profession as a Wildlife Biologist. ;D :D

Ah, I see Radar has found it for us. 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

Quote from: Warbird on July 16, 2009, 11:38:27 AM
I always thought...

By the way, around here thinking will leave you confused, bald, and usually wrong. :D :D :D

Confused - you figured that one out

Bald - keep scratching your head from being confused. You'll get there.

Wrong - Just keep thinking.  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Warbird

LOL  Thanks for the info Radar.

Jeff

The beams look awesome bird milker. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

brdmkr

Quote from: DanG on July 16, 2009, 11:29:30 AM
Well, I feel just a touch of pride in knowing that I had a tiny part in the creation of Mike and Greta's house, even if it was just cutting down a tree. 

You had FAR more to do with it than cutting it down.  Remember you and Woodbowl came up with a couple logs to help me break the mill in.

You also showed me how to see the airplane props lumber in logs. 

In all honesty, we could build a house without this forum and the many forumites that have offered advice over the years....BUT we couldn't build THIS house.

Jeff, there are birds that you can milk, but I have never done it!

WDH

All I have to say, Milker of Birds, is that that (!) those are two handsome accomplices that you have there ;D ;D ;D.

customsawyer

WDH I think you have low standards
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

It must be the heat :D :D :D.

DanG

Quote from: brdmkr on July 16, 2009, 05:24:49 PM

You had FAR more to do with it than cutting it down. 

Well thanks for those kind and generous words Mike. :)  I remember your first post here very well.  You said you were in SW Ga and I immediately PMed you to see exactly where.  That was the beginning of a really good friendship that has benefitted us both, and is a great example of the magic of this Forum.

I've been posting on various discussion forums since they first came into existance(they called them "bulletin boards" back then), and this is the only one through which I have actually met anyone.  I have met hundreds through this one, and hardly a month goes by that I don't meet up with somebody from here.  I've long since lost count of the ones who have visited here at my place and sawed on my mill or spit in my Dodge wheel fire. :)  I have slept in the homes of people I hadn't met before, and had new friends sleep in mine, as well as camping and travelling with others.  I haven't found any other forums where that sort of stuff happens. :) :)

LeeB

Now I'm really worried. You think them fellers is handsome and your in heat?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Warbird

WH_Conley

Startin to scare me.
Bill

brdmkr

WDH, the heat is not making you crazy.  It is making you blind :D

DanG, my whole purpose in starting this thread is to just thank everyone here who has helped in ways that they don't even know.  You your last post summed things up well.  I visit other forums from time to time.  Really, there are some pretty good folks on some of those sites as well.  However, I have met several members here and made some good friends as well.

WDH

Quote from: brdmkr on July 17, 2009, 11:19:35 PM
WDH, the heat is not making you crazy.  It is making you blind :D

Brdmkr,

I am glad that you cleared this mess up :).

Coon

I'm beginning to think it's blind and crazy at the same time.  :D  It's really no big deal I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other at the best of times then if you throw in a side of crazy you could sum it all up and call me LUCKY...   :D  :D  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!