iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My favorite little restaurant

Started by Tom, July 15, 2009, 11:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I went to the Country Cabin on Dunn Ave., here in Jacksonville, today for dinner.  (lunch to some)

The menu is fairly static, but the food is good.

I ordered a stuffed green pepper on a bed of rice (served in a big soup bowl), a monkey bowl of pinto beans, a monkey bowl of stewed yellow squash (onions and bacon), a bowl of homemade beef-vegetable soup, biscuits and a cold glass of water.

It sure hit the spot. I couldn't have done better myself.  :)

fishpharmer

Tom, you just like making me hungry ;D ;D

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Tom likes to eat. ;D

When we go to a restaurant , we go mostly to Maine. Just over the border there is a couple in the Houlton area. We always go for fish it seems. Last one was for whole clams. I asked for cottage cheese with mine and I think I got the whole dang container full. :D In restaurants here in NB if you get coleslaw, you get about a table spoon full. You'd think cabbage was the most expensive vegetable on the planet. They don't have good fish in restaurants here, it's frozen, freezer burned, breaded sole. Tastes like one to. Salad bars here are rare and hardly a vegetable on your plate unless is a tater from instant mash.   :-[
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Tom, that ain't no "little restaurant!"  That place is like 2 Shoney's stuck together.  I will say it is good, though.  I'll never forget the time you took Woodbowl and me there for breakfast! 8) 8) 8)

Now, my idea of a good little restaurant is Kendall's over there in the "dentally challenged" section of Tallahassee.  It's a little hole in the wall with about 6 tables jammed in there so tight you can't tell who you're sitting with.  We used to go there for breakfast when I was working nights.  Everything is good, but you just can't beat their fried biscuits! 8)  They take a big ol' cathead biscuit, fresh outta the oven, split it in half and slather it down with real butter.  Then they plop it face-down in a puddle of sizzling bacon grease on the griddle.  It probably ain't all that healthy for ya, but I'll guarantee you it's the best biscuit you ever laid a lip around! ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Ah yes, a version of Grease Toast.  Days of childhood memories returning.  :D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

With vinilly ice cream on top. Even more MMMMMM
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

A good biscuit, split, smothered with glazed fresh strawberries, topped with whipped cream. Double Whammy. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 16, 2009, 05:21:15 PM
A good biscuit, split, smothered with glazed fresh strawberries, topped with whipped cream. Double Whammy. :D

I dont have any idea if they have that at the country cabin. I do know they have peach cobbler as that's what I was reminiscing about. That and dipping biscuits in the butter and honey that Mr. Shippy had mixed up for me on my plate.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Grandma could always mix up a batch in strawberry time, whether at camp or home.  Sometimes wild berries and if at the river camps, had a cow up there as grandfather had to keep everyone busy while he was out on the river catching salmon. ;D

woodbowl

Ahh yes, I remember. Seems like I had 4 eggs over med, grits, sausage, toast and orange juice. Don't remember much after that except a belly ache.  :D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

WB, you mean you don't remember me trying to read the label on that little coffee creamer cup with 3 pairs of glasses on?  I think I woulda made it if we hadn't run out of glasses! :D :D :D

Youse guys can have your peach cobblers and strawberries! ::)  You ain't lived until you cut a little wedge of an egg fried in bacon grease, lay it on the edge of your puddle of good creamy grits and pop it in your mouth.  Ya follow that with a bite of bacon and a bite of that good ol' fried biscuit, and ya got something ta chew on!  A sip of hot black coffee to chase it all down with and you're in Heaven.  (or at least on the way) :o :D :D :D

If you just gotta have something sweet afterwards, there's always a bottle of good ol' sugar cane syrup on the table, along with a jar of local tupelo honey to dribble on another fried biscuit. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LeeB

I really ought not read these threds while I'm at work. They got eggs here and I have them every morning for my supper, I work nights, but fat chance on any of the rest of that stuff. No such thing as grits and they can't make a bisquit to save their life. I do get bacon, but only because I bring the pre-cooked stuff with me. Pishes them off, but I eat it any way. I had smoed oysters in my scramble deggs this morning just for a change of pace ( I bring those too). Sounds wierd but it is really quite good.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: DanG on July 16, 2009, 10:08:10 PM
Youse guys can have your peach cobblers and strawberries! ::)  You ain't lived until you cut a little wedge of an egg fried in bacon grease, lay it on the edge of your puddle of good creamy grits and pop it in your mouth.  Ya follow that with a bite of bacon and a bite of that good ol' fried biscuit, and ya got something ta chew on!  A sip of hot black coffee to chase it all down with and you're in Heaven.  (or at least on the way) :o :D :D :D

My uncle and grandfather talked about those mixtures when working with natives in the bush cutting timber. They would take bread or biscuit of some kind and soak it in that bacon grease and practically lick the frying pan clean.  Coffee was made in a lard can with wire for a handle, mounted on a stick over the fire. Boiled the water and sprinkled the grinds in after it boiled. Then boil some more and the grinds would sink to the bottom, so when ya poured, the coffee was grinds free. No wonder grandfather had stomach troubles. Grandma always had to baby him with some good cooking to make his stomach right. :D

Thank You Sponsors!