iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problem with growing onions, yes I said onions.

Started by splitter, July 15, 2009, 10:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splitter

My ground is black (loomy?)  mountain dirt thats real puffy. Will grow about any above ground veggies. I've planted onions for years now, tried all kinds, and I do mean all kinds. I have even discussed this problem with the County Agent, he was no help. When my onions get about six or eight inches tall they seed, EVERY YEAR. I have used lime, manure, etc. They still seed like crazy. My neighbors down the road don't have this problem. The County Agent said I was getting bad seed, yeal right. You have to pull them almost before they get big enough to eat. Doe's anyone know why this happens. I've tried everyting I know to try. Thanks Splitter

SwampDonkey

Does the ground dry out a lot? Used to get that in dry years here, would just cut the seed top off. They are undergoing some kind of stress I beleive. Hope you didn't pour the Borax on the garden like I did. Except for the root crops it has burnt up most everything else when the sun comes out hot, a rarity these days. I'll have to douse the garden in vinegar and leaves and new soil this fall.  :-[
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Your soil is not the source of the problem. When do you plant your onions, what do you plant (seed, transplants, or sets), and how much sunlight do they get?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Burlkraft

I had the same problem, I solved it this year by mixing a  loader bucket of sand in my soil. I have onions like I've NEVER had before  ;)  ;)  ;)

I got type never without the forum telling me I have my caps lock on!!  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

splitter

Thanks for the info. I'll try adding sand. I usually leave one or two rows of onions to come up early the next spring. They also seed early so I know I'm not planting to late. Thanks to everybody. Splitter

Dodgy Loner

I hope that adding sand solves your problem, but I'm doubtful that it will. Many people grow onions successfully in loamy mountain soils.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

splitter

I have planted all types, yellow, white, viadials, and slips. I usually leave at least two rows to come up early in the spring, they also turn to seed. Now that I think about it they may not be getting enough sun I have several trees around my garden. Splitter

SwampDonkey

My uncle grows those yellow onions with flat bottoms that are huge in loamy sand, bigger than store bought that's for sure.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Onions are usually biennials, meaning that they're not supposed to go to seed for two years. Adverse conditions, such as insufficient sunlight or stressful weather patterns can trigger them to go to seed the first year. However, this occurs much more often when onion sets are planted, rather than seeds or transplants. The onion sets are produced by planting seed very densely and growing them for one year, resulting in a very small bulb. Hence, when you plant sets, they are genetically programmed to seed that year. Unless conditions are ideal - plenty of sunlight, planting at the proper time, plenty of water and nutrients - their genetics take over, and they will go to seed. If you've been planting sets, I would recommend trying seed or transplants instead.

Patty

Any kind of stress will make your onions go to seed. We plant them in full sun, usually in late May if the weather is warm enough. Sandy loose soil works best for us. This year Norm put them in his raised beds up by the patio. The soil in those beds is real lush and fertile, well drained, and weed free...the onions are doing very well. My garlic, however, is another story. Can't seem to get it going, and I don't know what the problem is. Any helpful hints are appreciated.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

CLL

Onions have to have well drained soil, the sand will probably solve the problem. One more thing, flat onions are always sweeter than round onions.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Thank You Sponsors!