iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Had our first squash.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, July 14, 2009, 03:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I came home and found a nice crook neck and a zucchini on the side board. First ones from the garden this year. I stirred them around in a cast iron pan (that is older than me!) with a little onion, olive oil, salt and pepper. It was real good.

Keep it simple.

Jon 8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Modat22

I'm slowly pulling my squash plants up because I can't keep up with the produce. Been dehydrating 30 pounds or so a week and canning cremed squash soup. Neighbors don't want anymore and I'm leary of inviting folks I don't know onto my property for a pick your own deal.

Tomatoes and ocra started producing yesterday, once those get into gear the squash gets the plow..
remember man that thy are dust.

WDH

We have been eating squash almost everyday for a month :).  Its good, but not that good ::).  My wife and daughter are squash-nuts.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

splitter

Modat22, Please tell me about you drying squash? Do you blanch them before you dry them? Also how and what do you store them in? Thanks Splitter

SwampDonkey

I like the dry squash we grow up here. I will peel and seed one and cut it up to microwave with most meals as long as they last into Christmas. Good stuff.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Modat22

Quote from: splitter on July 16, 2009, 06:53:04 PM
Modat22, Please tell me about you drying squash? Do you blanch them before you dry them? Also how and what do you store them in? Thanks Splitter

Drying squash is very simple. Take squash that are still tender skinned and slice it into 1/4" or 3/8" thick pieces. Soak in a mix of 2 cups water and juice of 1 lemon or (1) crushed vitamin C tablet or 1 TBSP of absorbic acid. let is soak for about 3 min.

The soak just keeps the squash from turning brown as it dries.

Place in dehydrator or 140 degree oven for about 8 hours.

I use vacuum sealer bags myself but ziplock freezer bags work well enough. I also put these in the deep freezer for a couple days to to kill off any pest eggs that might be in the squash.

P.s. If you want to be McGuiverish you can take clean steel wool (about a 1 inch patch will do) staple this into a bag made from a coffee filter, toss 1/8 tps of salt in there and 5 drops of water on the wool. Put this in a mason jar with whatever you want to and put a lid and ring on the thing. Any oxygen in the jar will fix itself on the wool as rust, pulling a partial vacuum on the jar. No oxygen means long lasting storage.

SwampDonkey

What about the anaerobic bacteria that don't need oxygen?  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Modat22

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 18, 2009, 04:41:41 AM
What about the anaerobic bacteria that don't need oxygen?  ;D

Theres no moisture for it to breed  :)

ohsoloco

Made zucchini carbonara for supper tonight....been thinking about leftovers for hours  :D

Thank You Sponsors!