iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lane Circle Mill Project

Started by Mooseherder, July 13, 2009, 10:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

We will be seeing you soon Jake.  These northern folks is crazy. :D

WDH

Get out before the glaciers get a mile thick  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

It's good to see that you were able to make some progress on your sawmill.  Looks good!   8)

Be sure to get a cone of Ice Cream to go before you leave.   cone_1

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

I had an orange flavored cone dipped in butterscoth a few nights ago.  It was purty dang good.  Had a craving for one last night but it felt like winter out there so I settled for carrot cake. :)

Magicman

I can believe that but just what is this "Winter" thing of which you speak??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

That lane looks like a tractor mill with a lot of additions, some I  have never seen. If I am right it will have EM casting numbers except they all used some 1SM parts. Anyhow , can't wait  to see it running.

SwampDonkey

Hey Moose, great little project to keep you interested and occupied while back in the stomping grounds.  8) I hear you on working vacations. That's all I've ever known. Well, except Pig Roast vacation. ;) :D  And yes, that is one long haul from Fl to northern Maine, but I'm sure it is worth it. Next summer I'll be back on the farm in a new house. One of the first things I am purchasing is a new rocking chair for the porch. :)

So what do ya think, another 3 years before sawing some wood?  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I hope to have a trial run next summer and build from there the folowing year. :D
My BIL Steve showed up today and wanted to work on the mill so we did.  He was a tremendous help.  His day job he runs 2 buildings that fabricate at the Ship yard and is known there as the go to problem solver.    We got the cable drum assembly situated and the Husk lined up.  It still needs adjustments but gets me closer.  I need some parts to finish the task but part of the puzzle has come together.   The gentleman I bought this Mill from would be here to guide if he was healthy but unfortunately has some very serious health issues leaving him unavailable.  He wouldn't even be able to answer a question.  Him and I took it apart.  We worked very good together and is the type of person you like to work beside.  This operation I bought was his third that he had built and he was proud of it.  Anyways, it turns out we had to notch 3 inches on the Husk side of the Track beam for the Cable drum shaft  to line up and work.  I can reinforce and secure from beneath the notch now because it is elevated so it will not be an issue.

bandmiller2

Herder, I hesitate to mention this but common pillow block bearings make me nervous. I believe they are a malleable cast and under a shock load could crack. If the one buy the collars should break guess which way that spinning toothed wheel will head. If you have three bearings it should be safe. My first circular mill had two bearings. I put a "U" bolt upside down just behind the collar bearing not touching or in the way that would catch the arbor shaft if the bearing broke. Maybe I'am overly cautious but that spinning wheel of death is not to be taken lightly. Must be tough to be down south and thinking of what you could be doing on the mill. Have a good winter. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Mooseherder

I appreciate all the input and concerns so please do not hesitate.  There is a third pilllow block I hadn't posted a picture of.  I'll be making the tie /track and track/concrete brackets over winter while away to move along when we get back.  I spent the day sealing up the building and putting things away. ;)

Jeff

Not sure if this was mentioned, but be sure to back off your belts first whenever you are loosing bearings or setting lead. Lock your bearings down after an adjustment, then retighten belts.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

That's good to know.  :)
I painted a wrench for my scrench wall.

grouch

Somebody's being funny by putting that itty bitty hole in the end to hang that monster.

Or is that for a key ring?
Find something to do that interests you.

Mooseherder

My guess is 25 to 30 lbs.  It would be a good one for attaching gas station restroom keys. :D

Kbeitz

I got one like that somewhere... Maybe I should do something with it...
Paint makes it look good.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Mooseherder

My choices of color on hand were black or red. ;)

WDH

I actually prefer the Red and Black  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Moose.  Your mill project is coming along well.  Thank you for the pictures.  Hurry back south or you may start talking funny and driving slow.
Caveman

Mooseherder

We are in Georgia on our way back now.   Should be home around 1am. :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 06, 2017, 07:32:53 PM
We are in Georgia on our way back now.   Should be home around 1am. :)

Running from the storm... Your not the only one....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Mooseherder

Actually, We are running towards it.  I stopped for supplies in Virginia and Fuel in South Carolina just in case.  Now I own 4 more fuel cans to add to my fuel can hoard.

Mooseherder

I took my temporary enclosures off to work on my life project the last 4 days.  The back Carriage beam had to be replaced before anything else could move forward.  Took my time blocking and bracing each piece of steel top and underneath along with 4 axles independently.  The axle hubs let me slide them inward giving me room to slide the beam right in. The beam slid in on the axle tubes.  Once the beam was in position, The axle hubs were slid back underneath the beam.

They had added the steel corners after this beam.  It meant I had to cut the thru bolts with a sawzall after digging in under the steel plate.

The straight 6x6 beam I had saved last year warped over the winter.  Had to get another one.  Painted before installation. 

Mooseherder

Ready for the new beam.

Working alone had to use the atv to move in place.  Then lowered onto skids on top of the tracks to slide into position.

Magicman

Another step on your journey.  smiley_thumbsup

I can chuckle and say to myself; "I have been there before".  Looks like I need to be there now to give you a helping hand.  :)

Mooseherder

Sure would welcome it Magicman! ;)
Getting there, removing bracing and blocks.
Then my neat blocking pile.  Yeah, dat was a lot of blocking but made things manageable.

Thank You Sponsors!