iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sudden leaf drop from white ash.

Started by SwampDonkey, July 13, 2009, 05:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I noticed on a yard tree (white ash) that has pretty much perfect leaves, not hardly a bug chew or a blemish on them, is aborting the leaves. They didn't turn any kind of color, just wilted and fell off in short order (1-2 weeks). There is no shortage of water, it has been showering almost daily. Rain today. I checked the bark all over the tree and can't see a bug or fungus of any kind. It's growing in the middle of a flower bed consisting mainly of bee balm, and false carnations, a couple clumps of lily and fall aster and monk's hood.  A photo later in the day is in order, raining right now and time to get to the woods.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Here is a picture of the tree loosing leaves (left) beside a healthy one.

Some pictures of the crown.

I sure can't see anything wrong with it, other than it's dropping it's leaves. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Well you'd think so from the picture, but it's an illusion.  ;D The lines are several feet from the tree crowns. Maybe it arced in a storm. It's got me. When/if the tree tips (new growth) start shrinking it'll be time to dig out the saw.  :o At one time we had box elder along there and in later years the power company moved the line to our side of the road. They didn't think it through clearly. They've moved the transformer twice.

wolfram

You might consider looking into ash yellows,

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/howtos/ht_ash/ash_yell.pdf

It's typically characterized by a "slow" decline so probably not the case you describe.  We have it bad here and we're losing a lot of nice trees.

SwampDonkey

This hybrid poplar is over 20" at DBH and as you can see it's dropping leaves early. This should not be happening until mid October.

The butternut tree to the left there is still with a full crown of foliage.

Its very humid today, and 75 in shade.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I think this hybrid favours black cottonwood or balsam poplar. The balsam are dropping leaves to, but they seem to in a hot August some years.

tractorfarmer

I've had plenty of healthy younger trees die from the base of the tree not being clear of weeds. The moisture leads to insect problems. That's the first place I start. Looks kind of overgrown under those trees.

SwampDonkey

The top died out of the second tree last year. But the rest leaved out this year and seemed to be ok. But, I do suspect the flowers have an effect. They suck a lot of water. The soil is also dark organic loam from a cedar grove we hauled in. I'll probably cut it down next spring.

Thank You Sponsors!