iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Trimmers

Started by Gary_C, July 13, 2009, 04:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

This past weekend I was at a family camping weekend at Clear Lake State Park in Iowa and was amazed at what I saw both Friday afternoon and all day Saturday in an extremely crowded campground run by the Iowa DNR. There was a tree trimming service right in the middle of the campground with a boom truck and chipper running both days trimming trees. They were working right in between all the campers and kids everywhere. Yes, the workers stood and kept people away from immediately beneath the boom truck, but come on, did they really have to do that on a busy July weekend when the park is full of people? And shouldn't those guys have been wearing hard hats instead of baseball hats or nothing.

One of my daughter in laws did ask the park staff why and they said it was because previously a limb had fallen on a campers table and this tree service had been hired to clear the dead limbs in the park. Also they said that the tree service had asked for Friday for permission to finish the job on Saturday and the DNR said OK.  ::)

But even more amazing to me was the closest thing to personal protective gear worn by the tree service personel was one guy on the ground picking up limbs and feeding the chipper was wearing a pair of sunglasses. One guy was hatless and the rest wore regular baseball type caps. No safety boots or shoes and of course no chaps for the ones running chainsaws.

I guess I have heard before that these tree service people are notoriously bad about following chain saw and logging safety rules, but I would have expected more from a state paid contractor. And then there's the issue of working in the middle of a crowd.  ::)

I did take a couple of pictures but I still have not installed my picture downloading software on this new computer so they are still in the camera.  And it was hard to get a good picture with all those campers surrounding them.   ::)

Lucky for us we were not where the big trees were they were trimming or there would have been a confrontation for sure.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Gary_C

I finally got my pictures into my new computer. Here is the boom truck in the middle of the campground on a Saturday afternoon. This was one of many locations they were working during the day.

And here was the chipper. The guy feeding the chipper at least had sunglasses on to protect his eyes.  ::)

From another angle where you can see the guy in the bucket just going up.

And from a distance where you can just see the guy in the bucket high in the trees over the pop-up in the foreground.

Everyone staying in the campgrounds was really mad about this. Not only were there kids all over the place, but the noise of that chipper all day Saturday was annoying.

Apparently the safety and comfort of the campers takes second place to getting the job done, at least to the Iowa DNR.

Sprucegum

:o  :o If I was a camper there I would be demanding a refund and moving on, probably never to return  >:(

Norm

Ahhh yes the good old Iowa DNR. I've never dealt with a department that has less common sense....and that's saying something!

Warbird

That *is* saying something...  I've known a couple of Fish & Game departments that might give them a run for their money!

Raphael

The tree trimmers in NY had us all dodging lost limbs from lane to lane on I84 today...  ::)
The only arborists I know of that are at all concerned with safety work exclusively for private land owners.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Ron Scott

~Ron

Gary_C

Well I did send an e-mail to the Iowa DNR and after a week got this response:

Dear Gary,

Thank you for using the Iowa DNR website.  Your email has been forwarded to our Parks Bureau for reply.  You may also contact Frank Rickerl at 712-336-1840 or by email at frank.rickerl@dnr.iowa.gov.

Please feel free to contact us if you have additional questions or concerns. Thank you for your continued interest in Iowa's Natural Resources.

Webmaster, Iowa DNR

515-281-5918

www.webmaster@dnr.iowa.gov

jab

Not sure I have any more interest.    :)

SwampDonkey

In this province they wouldn't be allowed on site where campers are set up. Most likely if they were working they would have to follow safety procedures with proper gear and sections being worked on would be closed to the public with some type of fencing that could be put up quick. That must be the thinnest, loosely written service contract a government ever wrote. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

The few outfits that I see trim trees always have their safety gear on,chaps,hardhats,face shields,etc.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rebocardo

It is a good thing boom trucks never tip over, trees and branches never split unexpectingly, and children never ignore grownups and run into an area they are not suppose to go when chasing a ball. Otherwise someone might have been hurt ...

Ironwood

WOW, ........................WOW.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!