iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My framing crew

Started by Larry, July 11, 2009, 03:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Yep, me and myself.  We get along quite well together, almost like we can read each others thoughts.  Never hear any idle chatter on the job unlike so many other job sites.  Kathy says we take far too many breaks and quit early....what does she know. ;) ;D :D :D

I sat 30' walls on the other end of the house with the tractor but this one was too long for that method.  Thought some might like to see how one man does it with little strain.  Most time around here a wall like that is sat with plain old man power...for a large crew it would take about 10 minutes to get it up.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

brdmkr

Larry, that's pretty neat.  Can you start with the wall laying flat?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Larry

Yes, you build the wall flat on the floor.  I've built shorter walls where I installed windows, siding, and trim before lifting them.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

LeeB

I'm afraid there'd be idle chatter on my crew. I talk to myself all the time. Get the answers I want that way most of the time. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Good work.
Thanks for posting the pics. Looks to be 2x6 studs on 24" centers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SamB

Larry,
Are those lifting jacks something you fabricated or is that a tool I'm not familiar with? I know old telephone men can be pretty creative, anyway nice job and don't forget that stud that looks like is missing by the entrance door. ;D

Larry

My goodness ya have sharp eyes.  The missing stud is because I had a water line coming through the slab at that exact location.  I'll add that stud in the next day or two.

The wall jacks are made by Proctor right here http://www.proctorp.com/  There is another company that makes a similar product...can't remember the name.  Both are pretty pricey at maybe $1,000 to $1,200 per pair.  Than there are a couple of other companies that make wall jacks that utilize a 2 X 4.  One is Qual-Craft and I think the other is American.  A lot cheaper but a lot more dangerous.

SamB you probably not seen wall jacks because there not common in the south.  Takes a lot more time to set them up on a slab.  You have to drill 4 holes in concrete and use a Tapcon's to anchor the foot.

BT, ya guessed right.  This will be the second I've built with 2 X 6's.  I'm trying a couple of new things...one is all the studs are pre-notched on the bottom for electric wires.

Radar67

I'm interested in those jacks too. I'll probably end up framing mine right by myself. I see you already posted info, thanks.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

Larry,

You and yourself look like y'all do work well together ;D.  Nice post.  Keep it coming.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

I've only seen the jacks used in what I know as "tilt wall constuction". Precast concrete walls. Same thing I guess, just different material.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

wi woodcutter

Larry if you are from Nob Hill shouldn't you be a pipeliner? :D

I have worked with some pipeliners from down around there, very good people. 

Nice job on the framing work too. :)
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

pasbuild

I have lifted walls up to 74' with wall jacks, best crew I ever had ;)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Brucer

I put up my walls that way 'bout 30 years ago. 2x8 studs on 16" centres (we've got pretty serious snow loads here). I made my own "jacks" from 4x4's hinged to the floor and equipped with block & tackles.

At the time I thought (briefly) about building the truss roof directly on the floor, jacking it up, and then raising the walls separately underneath it. Right, silly idea, what was I thinking of. About 15 years later I saw a building going up next to the highway. It had a half basement and it looked like the roof was being built directly on the foundation walls ??? ???. First the trusses went up, then the sheathing, then the roofing and shingles. It looked like an earth-sheltered home with entirely the wrong roof for such a structure.

A week later the roof was up a story and the walls were being tilted up into place beneath it :o.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

fishpharmer

Larry, that looks just like my farming crew too.  Me myself and I.

Oh, you said framing ;D

Right clever way to raise  a wall, this ole redneck learned learned something new. 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Norm

Larry

Yea, but you still ain't getting no kissey smiley. :D :D :D

scgargoyle

I was looking at those for when I build my place, since I may be working alone. I was going to make my own, and incorporate 12 volt winches, so I could stand in a safe place and just push buttons- what do you think?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

beenthere

Looked like Larry was standing in a safe place.
I'd suggest keeping lifting a wall as simple as possible, to avoid a problem with a wall stopping mid-way up.
i.e like Larry.
That is what I think.   :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Slabs

Quote from: scgargoyle on July 12, 2009, 02:36:48 PM
I was looking at those for when I build my place, since I may be working alone. I was going to make my own, and incorporate 12 volt winches, so I could stand in a safe place and just push buttons- what do you think?

I betcha a feller could use a piece of lightweight two inch square tubing (maybe even inch-and-a-half) and a boat winch with some light cable from Lowes and build a perfectly functional apparattus for much less than purchace price from any of the vendors.  Wouldn't take much craft to fabricate a functional hinge or adapt a strap hinge for the purpose.  The upper-end sheave could be purchased from McMaster-Carr as could most of the hardware.

Good Luck

Der Klugemeister

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Warbird

Nice work, Larry.  Be sure to get us a pic of the final product!

Scuba_Dave

I have the same crew (sort of), but I like your helpers better then my 2x's
I just used 2x's as braces & levers, I used an electric winch as my helper

Haulin' the cupola up:

Thank You Sponsors!