iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two WI tree-related deaths

Started by beenthere, July 11, 2009, 12:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Friday, July 10.
Tree fell onto a passing car in Oregon, WI and killed the driver. Tree was live, but rotten in center.

Tree worker removing top of tree fell 40' and died. This was in Elm Grove, WI.
According to news, the tree worker was tied in, and fell when a part of the tree below him became unstable.
Not sure what that means.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Quote from: beenthere on July 11, 2009, 12:05:03 PM
Friday, July 10.
Tree fell onto a passing car in Oregon, WI and killed the driver. Tree was live, but rotten in center.

Same thing happened in Tallahassee last week.  A 14 year old girl was killed and her Father critically injured when a large oak fell across a major highway.  It was during a t-storm.  The same storm took the roof off the Toys-R-Us store, so I guess it was a pretty strong blow! :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Another tree-related death.
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime_and_courts/article_1ad277f0-d158-11de-bb8d-001cc4c002e0.html

60 yr old pushing over a tree, and the top broke out. Hit him on the head while on the tractor.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on November 16, 2009, 12:34:11 PM
Another tree-related death.
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime_and_courts/article_1ad277f0-d158-11de-bb8d-001cc4c002e0.html

60 yr old pushing over a tree, and the top broke out. Hit him on the head while on the tractor.

I saw this one on the news.

Pushing a tree over with the FEL is not a good idea. The top broke out and got him.
I guess we've all had the idea, but I've chickened out a few times  :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

stonebroke

what if you had a full cab? I have had some that I felt much safer pushing over than trying to cut with out any protection.

Stonebroke

Reddog

Quote from: stonebroke on November 17, 2009, 08:31:51 AM
what if you had a full cab?

Still not a great idea, tractor cabs are only rated for ROPS. So you still could get crushed or speared by a limb, compared to a forestry rated cab like on a skidder.
I use a cable and blocks too pull the tree over most times, even if I don't use the skid winch.

Ironwood

Thought about pushing one, but my natural selection gene kicked in.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

zopi

yeah..pulling with a long line is a bit smarter...ie a line longer than the tree is tall...did some of that the other day.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tom

I read, either on here or one of the papers I get, of a fellow pushing a tree over with tractor and a limb broke out of the tree, came through the roof of the ROPS and impaled him.  The best place to be when a questionable tree is shook, is somewhere else.

When pulling a tree with a rope, it's even best to put the rope around something and redirect the pull to the side.  Once the tree begins to fall, most people, most all of us, quit thinking.

rebocardo

In GA an "experienced" (20+ years for the same company - think he owned it) old timer died.

http://www.justicenewsflash.com/2009/09/16/georgia-logger-killed-falling-tree_200909162161.html

"Thompson was reportedly cutting a tree and it started to fall, but got caught up on a branch of another tree. Thompson then began to cut the other tree to release the already cut one. As Thompson was cutting the tree, the stuck tree fell on top of him."

That one wasn't to hard to predict  >:(   :(

rebocardo

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/03/04/visser_0305.html

A large tree fell on and killed a Georgia Power employee who was sitting in his pickup late Tuesday afternoon. The truck was at the intersection of East Lake and Memorial drives.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/16828677/detail.html

GILLSVILLE, Ga. -- A tree fell during a severe thunderstorm Tuesday night and killed an elderly man who was asleep in his mobile home in the Banks County community of Gillsville.

Unfortunately a regular thing in this area. I think the drought has a lot to do with it.

rickywashere

first thing i did when doing the grade work here was get rid of all the trees that where in range of the house site seen too many deaths from trees i'll keep the trees here trimmed back to shade tree height and hopfully old age will take me out

motohed

This is sad to hear . I have been using a feller buncher with a hot saw head for a while . This thing is wicked fast and also unforgiving . I cut a rather large tree a while back and had part of it land on the cab with a loud crash and a pretty good jolt . I stopped and checked everything out all was Ok . Point is , it gives you new respect for an old trade . God be with all those involved .

Thank You Sponsors!