iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maine Game Cam Pics

Started by Mooseherder, July 06, 2009, 08:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Nice pics BT.
The Moose lottery decides who can hunt for them.
I think Maine is allowing about 3100 for 2010.
Each zone has different hunt and amounts for harvest.
This information is from the Maine Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.
---------------

Multiple Choice Options and Fees

Participants in the annual moose lottery have had the opportunity of increasing their odds of being selected for a moose hunting permit by purchasing additional chances. The so-called "multiple choice option" works like this:

Maine Residents

$7.00 = One-chance
$12.00 = *Three-chances
$22.00 = *Six-chances

*Maine resident must possess a valid big game hunting license to apply for 3 or 6 chances.

Nonresidents

$15.00 = One-chance
$25.00 = Three-chances
$35.00 = Six-chances
$55.00 = **Ten-chances

** Nonresidents may purchase multiples of 10 chances at $55.00 each.
Example: 5 multiples of 10 chances would cost $275.00 (5 x $55.00 = $275.00)

SwampDonkey

We have a lottery here to, but there is only 3 days. The last weekend of September (Thurs-Sat). They need to extend it for this zone, we have too many. The Natives come in and get one or two after the regular season. But, when you still look out and see 8 at the end of the garden........well.  :-\ Now mind you they aren't there all the time in a group, they roam around a big area and will stay one place for awhile and then move on. For some reason though, they come around the house in the fall.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

The Game cam disappointments continue. ::)
Here is the video card I purchased with the Cam at Wally world and what it looks like taken apart.
The video card is junk and I'll never purchase this brand again.  I tried some engineering to make it work and retrieve it's contents to no avail.

I am high on the camera as it appears to be doing it's part because there was 38 pictures on the counter.
It is a Moultrie for 75 dollars and I'm thinking right now there isn't a thing wrong with it.
I'll find out next week when we return to the cabin because it is set up with another video card along a known wildlife trail. :)

SwampDonkey

Now, I've had SanDisk brand cards here SD and Compact Flash. My Laptop and the older PS3 took SanDisk SD as does the GPS. I took one in to the Source (Radio Shack) to get the PS3 latest system update as they have a fast connection. Their brand new Acer they tried to save the file to kept saying it was write protected. We dried opening and closing the write tab to no avail. But, my computer here at home works with that same SanDisk SD card fine, and works in my brother's video cam. It's practically never even been used, but it always works here. At the time I got a 4 gig thumb drive to get the file home for $10. But, years ago I had experience with Acer machines and non of them lasted a year. The office had 2 and they would just lock up all the time. My brother had one, it would crash and lock up to. Junk. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Captured a couple of pics from our recent visit to the cabin.
I had cut 10 Red Pine where this camera was located to make way for the Power line coming in.
Our activity didn't appear to phase the wildlife.

The young Moose with it's fur filling out.

Jeff

You need a moose groomer.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

It is kinda homely a critter. :D
When we first got there I was looking around to see which trees needed to be cut that were threatening the cabin.  There were 5 piles of fresh moose poop on the south side of the cabin walls less than 50 feet from the porch.  There was droppings everywhere in the woods but none in the fields.  ::)
We took a couple days and walked the entire woods and exploring.  In spite of seeing signs of the Moose everywhere, we never saw one on our property except for the game cam.  We did see a couple while running errands on route 1 and while 4 wheeling I got video of one in a pond just off the trail.
I think they had a nice winter and expected to see a lot more.

Mooseherder

Here are some clips put together as we approached a young one in a pond on the trail a mile from our place.  His Geese friends were trying to alert him of our presence while he was feeding under water. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzRr2GDH4Kg&feature=youtube

doctorb

Very cool!  Looks like a beautiful area. I'm envious.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

:D Moose are just as dumb as Bro_Noble's cows. I "thought" I had a video on the camera of one a couple weeks back, but got home and it wasn't there, just a still. I was in the car and it was just off the ditch line on the opposite side of the road. It stood still so a picture was just as good. I had to toot the horn a time or two to get it to move a little. :D I've probably seen 20 different moose so far this spring and at least 10 bear. You can go for a long stretch and never see a moose, then all the sudden they "come out of the woods" to the roads and fields. No rhyme nor reason. ;) I see them lots of times along the highway fencing to. Up in my area all the good ground is cleared to farms pretty much and the woods that's left is a lot of wetland, cedar and other lowlands where move like to "muck" around in. This week on a block I found a big wide open moose trail and a spring hole where they have been coming to a lot to much around in. They'll take an old skidder trail and keep it open from browsing like a hare will a trail.

SwampDonkey

In the city of Fredericton they have had moose problems this spring. One just passed by the radio station windows trotting down the busiest street in the city. Darn scatter brained, long eared, long legged ruminants. :D

WDH

I know some people around here like that  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Had me worried for a minute there until I realized I had short legs... :D

sandhills

Not to highjack the thread but the other day I was fixing fence on one of our pastures and came across a game cam tied to a tree.  Nobody has permission to hunt there but a few people (mostly family) so I call the bil to see if they had one up there, yes they did but this one wasn't theirs, cell service is terrible there so after I left I talked to him again, and the other person who has permission, nope not theirs either.  I went back to get it (I know who's it is I think, if they want to be honest they'll get it back, I'm not a thief).  Anyhow bad part was I forgot exactly where it was so I pull into the trees, jump out of my little Jimmy and relieve myself quick, low and behold when I look up what do suppose I'm staring directly into?  Once again I would be our stupid smiley, luckily the batteries were dead  ::).

SwampDonkey

A black bear was also spotted in the city this morning.

Black bears are getting as thick as the moose. Can't be anyone hunting them anymore or darn poor shot. ;D I see the local guy going with bate barrels this spring but he never has got the bear on the woodlot for years now. Might be different bears, but they are territorial. The bear climbs the red oaks every fall and strips the limbs for the acorns.

Ron Scott

One needs to watch for game camera's all over the woods now days. I run in to them often when marking timber.
~Ron

Cypressstump

Down here a man can't keep his rightful belongings without another stealing it. Trail cams are a hot item as more and more people are using them. I have 6 that I monitor my property with a food plot/box stand I built for my 84 YO Mom to hunt whitetails on. Sure enough tresspassers found the plot and stole a camera or two.
I ended up having to purchase a metal secuity boxes for each of my cameras. They lag bolt to the tree instead of straps. I'll attached them to some trash swamp gums or other non desirable species. It will take a little more determination to steal them now, but they only keep a semi honest man honest.

I have had some high dollar units that were very disappointing due to poor battery life and quality of the pics. I sold those and bought some Primos Truth 35 IR cameras. The battery life is crazy good. I can get 450 pics day/ night easy, and still have 80% battery life. They were at Bass Pro for 90 bucks a pop and are worth more to me than some of the 300 dollar cameras I have gotten rid of.

You never have a real clue of whats in the woods until using one of these things. Amazing 
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

JohnM

Quote from: Cypressstump on June 05, 2012, 08:15:59 AM
You never have a real clue of whats in the woods until using one of these things. Amazing

Totally agree, these cameras are really fun!  Caught this 'lady' down by our small pond about 200yds from the house.

Never would have known she was around without the camera.  Btw the camera was set low to try to locate the fox that killed a couple of chickens this spring...grrr. >:(

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Cypressstump

JM, I see you use a Truthcam 35, I am going solely to those for future needs if any. I had a lock on one of my security boxes freeze up on me. It was left in the swamp for about 2 months after I removed the rest of the cameras at the end of deer season.
I recently went back in with a drill, popped the lock,, was amazed to see I had 80% battery life still on the Truthcam 35 and have 860 ish pictures still left to be viewed !
Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

JohnM

Stump, I like the camera for the most part, the range is limited and the trigger a bit slow but for the price it's hard to beat.  You get much better battery life down there than we do up here, once the temp drops below freezing the batteries drop with it.  I want to get a 2-3 more, it's fun just seeing what's crawling around the woods.  (I'd like to catch the *&^%!#@*'s that pulled my posted sign down too...grr)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Mooseherder

I was able to pull the pictures out of the faulty video card I talked about in reply 27 from last year and found a few nice surprises.
The first 2 are from that card.  The others are from a card I thought had been erased by the camera in error.
The scary part is the camera is about 100 feet from Route 1.  This is their highway to the other side of the road.

I also was able to reset my Moultrie and it is working again. :)

SwampDonkey

I scared up an old cow yesterday on the woodlot. She took off to the south end of the lot and started blat'n for her beau. :D

Mooseherder

This is the same area that captured the Moose pics a few years ago by Route 1.
The date is right but the time is off.
Is it a Cat?  It looks like a line was draw where the eyes should be.  I don't know why it did that.
I switched the camera to video after discovering this creature on it.
Only got a small moose on it though.  The camera remains in this area to check on when we return.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0RMfMgy0DQ&feature=youtube

fishpharmer

Mooseherder, I think the eyes reflect the infrared light from the camera, so they look white at night.  Probably the animal is moving its head back and forth, as well as its forward motion, makes the relatively long exposure pic appear that  a line was drawn across the eyes.  My limited experience with game cams makes me think the trigger mechanisms are generally slow and the exposure is longer at nighttime to get a better image.  Almost seems they are designed for use over looking feed or bait, where an animal is not moving much, not certain.  Would love to hear if someone has a cam with fast trigger speed to catch moving critters.

Sorry I got long winded.  Looks like a coyote with long black tipped tail, can't say that with much certainty.   :-[
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

I'm of the conclusion that fast trigger response to movement will cause the cam to snap when birds fly by, or maybe even a leaf falling, or a breeze blowing a stalk of grass, or a other movements that one doesn't want. Could be wrong, but also would like quicker trigger.

I'm considering going back to flash, for better pics and shorter exposure times.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!