Camp Kitchen

Log Pond and Mill

MONSTER! Cant hook, about 10 feet long

Sash Saw Frame

Chainsaws for Real Men!

Massey Harris hooked to Horizontal Shingle Mill

Buck Saw made by Ireland Machine

July 4th Supper back at Camp

and the final results, Beef Stew, Biscuits, Roasted Sweet Corn and Iced Tea topped of by a lemon slice!!

Galeton Fireworks

View of the Creek at Camp
The campground we stayed at is a former CCC camp, like most state parks in Penna.  It is one of 50 slated for closing this year.  Excellent trout fishing from the looks of it!

Videos coming in next post.  Thanks for looking!

thedeeredude

OK, movies gotta wait.  Youtube is slow and I don't have the time tonight so tomorrow I'll put them up.  We also went to Cherry Springs state park,  Cherry Springs Info

Stephen1

looks like you had a nice time, great pictures, would have like to see what the drive wheels on the loco were though. thanks for taking the time on the photos, where exactly is the museum?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

thedeeredude

The museum is just outside of Galeton, Pennsylvania.  I didn't get any pictures of the wheels on this locomotive, but this page Shay Engines has some good pictures.  It was a great 4th of July, logging and sawmilling, camping in the mountains, good food and some of the family came along.

thedeeredude

OK, here's the first movie!  This mill is steam powered, if I remember 25 horsepower for the headsaw and a 15hp for the edger, chop saw and winch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP9OCW8FLD8

Number Two!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU51qYj7GIg

Galeton Fireworks, a small portion of the 25 minute show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=666bLMjcbcM

Chico

Nice videos brings back memories wish I had a dollar for every log I boomed strung walked or stuck with a pikepole
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

thedeeredude

Final Video, this is where we camped.  I made a boo boo and should of got a picture of the trout fishing area, filled with nice good size fish.  Water clear to the bottom. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffQpqwbHJ8

SwampDonkey

Wow man, how did ya take that all in? Museum and food, both. ;) Cool place to see, thanks for the photos.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

I always love to see those old steam engines. That Shay is somewhat of a rarity. What kind of Massey was that? We has have a 33.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thedeeredude

Swampdonkey, yeah it was tough, but I think I could eat good and go to a museum again.  I have to mentally prepare for it next time though. :D
Ty,
I don't know what model it is, I didn't see and didn't get a picture of the model number side.  I quite like massey harris even though they're not green ;)

fishpharmer

Thedeeredude, thanks for sharing the trip with us.  Now that museum is a real gem.  It looks like the a crew of fellas could step right in and start some serious production.  Not that conventional museums (look only, don't touch hodge podge of, out of context, collections of items) aren't important.  They can in no way offer a true glimpse of history like a place that shows how things were really (for the most part) done.

About the state parks.  Why are they closing 50 parks?   What will they do with them once closed?

Final question, was the cake good?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thedeeredude

fishpharmer,
  It is  a great museum and if you ever get up that way, take a look at it.  The cake was served the next day ::)  DanG it looked good.  As for the state parks, budget cuts.  I think right now its just scare tactics.  You can just do a google search for PA State parks closing and get a number of articles.  The plan would be no facilities(campground, bathroom, swimming, pavilions), no more maintenance of the property and no employees.  Anyone could still use the parks as they are public property.  We're also looking at some museums closing.  Apparently, our politicians didn't think Conrad Weiser was too important either.

Mooseherder

Great Videos and Beef Stew Pictures! :)
I made a pot that looked just like that last week except for the floured beef.  I'll have to try that next time.
Had forgot to buy the celery but threw in some Rutabagas and Zuccini for color. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!