iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to protect the sills and floor joists for Log Cabin

Started by Stan P, July 06, 2009, 05:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan P

Our Log Cabin is built on piers and sits about 2 feet off the ground.  I know the best way to protect the bottom is to keep it dry and since there is free flowing air passing beneath it we should be ok.  Our sills and most our floor joists are hemlock and the subfloor is white pine.  Should we be putting a coat of creasote or pine tar on the bottom to better preserve it and keep bugs away?   

thanks
Stan

Raphael

I'd be tempted to try a little "CedarShield", it's supposed to stabilize and preserve the wood while driving away insects.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Meadows Miller

Gday

We use No Rot impel sticks just drill a hole put the rod in and cap it with the dowels that come in the box we use them in the first round of logwork in our log homes and timberframes and the like  ;D they also use them to prolong the life of power poles don't know if you can get them over there tho but you should be able to  ;) We buy them by the case i think about 24 boxes of 20 sticks ea ;) I hope this helps Mate

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Stephen1

Stan good to see you back. Chris has a good with the impell rods, I can't get them north of the border but you can get them in the US of A. I brought some back 2 years ago for the poles in the Sugar Shack has cut down on the sawdust from the ants.
stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Stan P

thanks for the advice  I will see what I can find around here.   

Stan

RaginCajun

Raphael, Did you ever try the CedarShield? If anyone else has tried it please let us know how it worked out for you. 

Raphael

I haven't tried it yet...  Probably won't get a chance to build outside before the snow flies.  ::)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!