iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

king post/tying joint?

Started by krusty, July 05, 2009, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty

Hi folks,

Have an opportunity to bid on an addition locally. One of the things they want is something along the lines of:

newenergyworks.com/POD/2009/June/image15.jpg (active links to off site pictures are not allowed, please post pictures in your gallery and then post the link to them here, Moderator).

where you have the tie beam for the king post flush at the top with the top plate. The picture should be obvious.

There is a little too much joinery for my liking at the top of the post obviously and I am trying to come up with a way to make it all work given what they want.

I have lent out all my TF design books :D

So it will be an 8x8 post
8x12 top plate
8x12 tie beam
8x8 rafter for the king post

post would be a 3" or 5" tennon into the top plate.
but given the top plate is 12" deep I would cut 6" out for the tying joint and then cut a corresponding 6" out of the tie beam.

I hope that makes sense and will draw up a little pic I guess.

The room width is only 15' and bent spacing will be 8' - 10' so loading is not a concern.

Thoughts? Comments? Pics?

firing up autocad now  :P

moonhill

Why such a large top plate?

Have you looked at Historic American Timber Joinery, A Graphic Guide, By Jack A. Sobon?  It has solutions, you will have to make a few size adjustment.  I have done a similar configuration and the answer was a flared post, two tenons on the post, similar to the english tying joint, but at the same level.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

krusty

I did search for that last nite and found it! I am not so keen on the flaired post but he does have some good examples.

I think I will continue on my picture and then post it.....with a simple lap dovetail of the tie beam set into the top plate. Stay tuned....

moonhill

This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!