iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford 3500 TLB info?

Started by woodhick, July 03, 2009, 11:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I have the chance to purchase a Ford 3500 series tractor with loader and backhoe.   It has the gas 158 ci engine.  It has been setting for a while and the clutch is stuck but I can deal with that.   Anyone have one of these and how well do they perform.   Would like to know the capacity of the loader.  I have a L2900 Kubota with a loader and it's a little small for around the mill.  I have been watching for a small front loader but this  machine can be had pretty reasonable and I don't mine doing a little work on it.   Looks to have been well taken care of and all of the pins are tight and no welds anywhere that I can find.   The guy that has it now inherited (?)  it from his dad when he died.   Looks like dad took real good care of it but this guy just parked it and has not moved it for 2 years.  Thanks for any info.  Should add that I run the serial # and it is a 1972 model with the 6/4 manual transmission, and the hour meter is showing 2900 hours if it works.  Havent had a chance to start it yet.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

fishpharmer

I have a ford 3600 diesel.  A real good old machine if you don't have to steer in tight places. No power.  But parts are still available as far as I know and they are a well made vintage if you can live without the modern conveniences.   I have a couple of sources for parts if you decide to get it.

If the engine runs okay and you don't mind doing some work on it, buy it, if the price is right.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

maple flats

On the clutch, you can usually put a good load on it (drag something heavy where you don't have to stop) and hold the clutch in, it will usually free up. When any piece of equipment is parked long term the clutch should be held down to prevent it from freezing to the face.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

WH_Conley

Just as a guess, if it has a loader and a backhoe, it is probably an industrial model, a little different than the farm tractor models. They look a lot alike but are built heavier. As a disclaimer, all I have dealt with is the 4600, they will lift much more than the farm tractor with loader.
Bill

woodhick

Yeah this one is the industrial model.  That is where the 500 comes in.  The 3 is for the 3000 series and the the next two numbers 50 are for the industrial model which uses a heavier rear end than the farm tractors.  Still not sure if it's what I want or not.  Kinda of just waiting the guy out and see if he'll go lower.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Thank You Sponsors!