The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: estimating standing wood volume  (Read 6102 times)

Offline chucker

• never enough !!
Re: estimating standing wood volume
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 06:35:06 pm »
This site may answer your question; http://extension.unh.edu/Forestry/Docs/firewood.pdf
    THANKS!! mrnero, looks easy to do and use for a fast guesstimate! should be close if you dont cut anything smaller then the 4.5dbh on a clear cut... most sites are generaly smaller trees these days anyways.
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Offline mrnero

• Full Member x2
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 07:42:13 pm »
This site may answer your question; http://extension.unh.edu/Forestry/Docs/firewood.pdf
    THANKS!! mrnero, looks easy to do and use for a fast guesstimate! should be close if you dont cut anything smaller then the 4.5dbh on a clear cut... most sites are generaly smaller trees these days anyways.
Hmmmm !  generally, trees smaller than 5" in diamenter is called brush in this region. I dont think there is any firewood market for brush, limb wood or rollers in this area.
Myself, I like processing the big veneer logs into firewood. Faster production that way.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 08:18:05 pm »
Some folks take tops down to 2-1/2", kitchen stove wood. But dad also did it for furnace wood, I've handled a gazillion stick sized stove wood pieces. ::) Marketability here is 4" at DBH, a stick of 4 foot pulp. 4 foot market is pretty much dried up now though, but 4" dbh is still considered merchantable. A 20" dbh hard maple or yellow birch will take a century at least to grow in these parts. Takes 50 years to get to 8".

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline chucker

• never enough !!
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 09:36:57 pm »
yes !! i do like selective cutting....  2.5" on up makes great firewood and saves on the seed tree!!  seed tree? "the tree of life" for the future of the forest and that speices.......
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 06:50:34 am »
Gday

This is how i do it in the private blocks of pine ive done Fellas  ;) You tell them your ton rate mines from$5 to $12 a ton and you take a punt at how many ton (or semiloads ) you'll get stoping at 8"sed  then take about 60 ton off if they ask you roughly  how much thell make  ;)  :D then you measure it over the weigh bridge too easy  ;)  :D ;D 8) 8) 8) I dont do pulp as its too much of a pita or too far to go for not enough dough  ;) :D

I dont know haw you blokes can go down to a 2.5 inch top  ;)  :o but your in a different type of area alltogether  ;) :D ;D the stuff i mainly deal with is 25 to 40yo radiata pine plantation scheme plantations 12" to 20" avv dia that had little to no thought in the planning stage some of my blocks have been given to me just to clean em up and put the land back into agicultural production theres 1000s of acres of this type of stuff within a 60 mile radius i allready have 300 acres lined up enough to keep me busy  ;) :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 20 years now
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 08:03:42 pm »
Be careful there, Chris- you work too hard at your logging there and you'll put yourself right out of business!  Must be a mess of new construction going on down under if there's that much demand...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 04:56:10 am »
Might have something to do with the long drought and needing to reclaim the farms. If trees can grow, maybe corn will to. ;)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 11:34:02 pm »
Gday

SDonkey i think it was one of those good ideas at the time getting the seedlings for nothing from the goverment and just wacking them on the roughest most inacessable part of the bloody farm and making a killing out of them in stumpage 25 to 30 years down the track kinda things Mate ppl are working out that the indistrys changed over the last 30 odd years and bigger boys which are most of the contractors now wont go into blocs uner the 20 to 50 acre mark and that leaves alot of these blocks out of the picture  ;) :D :D :D

some blocks ive been offered are on steep country which ive said no to  ;) But  ??? I might get meself one o them yarder thingys s one of these days  ;) :D ;D as theres basicly a whole valley thats up for grabs on 35 to 45 deg country (aheap of small blocks 10 to 30 acres)that i know off ;) :D ;D 8) but then you get into roading and everything else that goes with it  :P :) ;) :D :D :D

Lj im working my butt off atm about 12 hr days + Mate   :) :) ;) :D :D :D ;D 8) but im just in a holding pattern till after xmass as ive taken on a business partener in the last month and theres alot of planning going on atm Its nice to know where things are heading for a change Mate  ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 04:20:07 am »
They'll cut anything here when they need to keep machinery working to make payments. Of course now-a-days the finance company has repo'ed a lot because operating costs outstripped market price. Must be hard on the dealers with all that used iron they can't sell or finance.

Many of the annual conferences have been canceled the last two years, Silvacon being the biggest one. It's also the conference, where traditionally, the new forestry graduates get the "CIF Silver Ring" during the AGM of the Canadian Institute of Forestry, since 1967.

CIF Silver Ring Program

Dirty Harry