iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When to mill?

Started by WOODWORKER, June 30, 2009, 02:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WOODWORKER

I have several mature Ash trees in Indiana and need to log them before the Ash borer kills them. I plan sawing them with a woodmizer and making furniture when the lumber is air dryed and ready. Is it a bad idea log when the sap is up. Should i wait untill fall? If i  log them now will it affect the lumber or the air drying process?

JV

I have been around a couple of old timers who wouldn't fell after February because the logs might "sour".  I have sawn ash year around with no problem.  Biggest thing is to process right away.  Seal the ends with a good sealer to prevent checking and splitting.  Stack and sticker right away keeping out of direct sunlight if possible.  I missed the end of one log and it split 3 feet into the log.  Higher temps are not your friend if you wait too long after felling.  Biggest thing I see  in hot, humid weather is the survivability of the sawyer.   :D  Just my simple opinion, others may disagree.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

mike_van

You'll find out when you mill the ash that it has very little sap in it, even in summer.  It's always been said you can burn ash green, it's this lack of water [sap] in it that makes it so.  I notice my bands get hot fast milling ash. [much more than oak, maple,etc].
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

woodmills1

ash is easy to cut and easy to dry but needs to be well stickered with white stickers very soon after being cut or will stain.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tyb525

Where are you located in Indiana?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

Don't feel you have to rush out and cut your ash trees down because the borers are in Indiana. Unless you have many ash trees nearby that have actually succumbed, you may have years.  Do you see any sign of the trees declining?  You will notice it in the top first.  Its not like they are going to catch fire or blow up or something. You'll have time to mill the wood, even if they do indeed become afflicted and die. The lumber should not be ruined from the tree dieing. Just keep an eye on them for signs of decline.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!