iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Amsoil 100:1??

Started by flapjack23, June 30, 2009, 09:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flapjack23

Anyone use Amsoil at 100:1 like they suggest? I'm a little weary of that mix. Think the oil is great, but don't know if I'd use it that thin. Any actual problems at useing it at 100:1 or are guys useing it with no problems?

Andy
Stihl MS361

shinnlinger

Hi,

I haven't done it personally, but I know a logger who sings it praises.  Says that is all he has run in his saws for years and swears by it.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Rocky_J

I really cannot see how some mail order company can have some exclusive oil formula that is twice as good as any other mix oil on the market. Therefore running Amsoil at 100-1 cannot provide as much lubrication as other premium oils mixed at 50-1. Even if their oil is 50% better, you're still getting less lubrication running it at 100-1.

And the price makes running Amsoil at 50-1 stupid expensive compared to other premium synthetic mix oils available.

mike_van

Thats a little too thin for me - Like you're a couple of seconds away from seizure?  What does one gain by running so little oil?
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sbhooper

I have run Amsoil for many years in all types of equipment.  I have had ZERO oil-related problems.  It is exactly what it says it is.  Amsoil does not blow smoke in their advertising.  It is one of the few products that I have seen over the years that is exactly what they say it is and more.  I have a 1997 Husky 257 that has run 100:1 for most of its life.  It still screams.  You can run Amsoil at whatever mix you want from 50:1 to 100:1.  I have settled on 75:1 and my saws run extremely good. Amsoil has been on the market since 1972 and is not just "some mailorder company".  They began selling synthetic oil before Mobile did.  They are obviously doing something right.  Those who bash it, should try it before making any negative statements.  I will continue to use Amsoil in my saws and anything else that I own that has an engine because I want my equipment to last.

My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

656 International w/grapple
Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

shinnlinger

The guy I know sounds alot like hooper (are you in MAine?)  so there might just be something to this Amsoil.....
Shinnlinger

ErikC

I know a few heavy equipment contractors who run amsoil motor oil in their machines, not changing the oil for hundreds and hundreds of hours, as per the company. They send in a small sample for testing every so often, and change the filter and replace what is lost doing that. They love the stuff, maybe the saw mix is just as good ???
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

WOJO

I like the Amsoil Dominator oil mixed at 50:1. I have used it in my yamaha banshee for years with zero problems and now I use it in my saws.
NE 346XP 18" bar, 372 XP 20" bar, 390 XP 24"bar

Al_Smith

The oil itself is most likely okay .I've always questioned 100 to 1  as being a little too stingy on oil though ..

Another saga of the oil wars continues . :D

flapjack23

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 01, 2009, 04:24:27 PM

Another saga of the oil wars continues . :D

Sorry, guess this has gone around once or twice. I've made up my mind to use Amsoil, just not sure if 100:1 is enough oil. I have an uncle in construction, they run Husky 572's (I think) with the Amsoil. I'll ask him about the mix and if they have any problems. Just don't want to ruin a new saw (this month I hope!) by not using enough oil.

Thanks
Andy
Stihl MS361

sbhooper

You won't ruin it.  If you don't feel comfortable with it at 100:1, then use it at 50:1 or 75:1 or whatever you want.  The joy of Amsoil is that you don't have to worry about your mix because you are covered no matter what the ratio. When I first started with Amsoil, I had a small homelite that was a piece of crap as far as I was concerned.  I was sceptical and so I decided to see if I could blow that saw up.  It ran so good that I had to retune it.  I absolutely tried to blow it up and I could not do it.  After running Amsoil at 100:1 in a Weedeater, my wife messed up and ran straight gas in it for at least 10 minutes.  It did not seize and after I dumped out the gas and put mix back in, it ran great.  The regular vehicle oil has the same track record.  I personally know of two people that put it in outboard motors and picked up rpms.  My father-i n-law bought a larger prop because he was afraid it was over-revving.  A guy that sold it in his auto parts store put it in his 150 horse Johnson on his bass boat and picked up 500 rpms.   I will not use petroleum lubricants in any of my engines-2 or 4 stroke. 

If you use it, use the Amsoil Saber Professional as that is the one that is designed for chainsaws etc. 
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Red 93 L1 #3383

I'm a mechanic for my local park district & we run the Amsoil Saber @ 80:1 in all our 2-stroke equipment.  We have 20 string trimmers, 2 pole saws, 2 hedge trimmers, 4 push mowers, 6 chain saws, 1 Tamper, 6 back pack blowers, 1 hand held blower that I can think of off the top of my head.  During the summer months we rely on alot of high school / college part time help & we don't have time to make sure every can gets mixed exactly right.  So far this season nothing has broke.  Last year we had to replace the crank bearings on the 10 year old home owner model hand held blower & we had one seized piston on a 15 year old string trimmer.  I can't personal blame the 80:1 mix, it could have been age / operator related failure just as easily.  Since I started working there I've switched to the Amsoil on my personal stuff too.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

splitter

I also use amsoil in my powersaw, and my pickup truck, I put it in my truck front to back. You can't put it in a new vechicle because if you do the rings won't seat. You have to wait until the engines broke in. We had a problem with the locks freezing up at the prison I worked at for over 30 years. We got a spray can of amsoil and had no more problems with the locks in the winter. Great stuff have used it for years. Splitter

bandmiller2

Amsoil is a good but somewhat expensive product,I use it at work and at home where needed.Engines running hot, overloaded or starting real cold can benifit with synthetics.Small engines on log splitters bandmills and swingers benifit from synthetics.Probibly most synthetic or semi synthetic 2 cyc. oils could be run leaner safely,most manuf. tend to be very conservitive and just fall in line with 50/1 to avoid the hassel.I do everything 50/1 for myself and like the margin of safety.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shinnlinger

I just ran into the logger/construction fellow I referenced at the top of this post and asked him again about the 100:1 mix.

He said has has done 100:1 Amsoil in all his saws since 1971 and figures has has cut over 40,000 cords of wood since then.  He has never had any mechanical issues with his saws since using it.  Nothing.  He has never even replaced a spark plug!  He also runs it in his excavators and other stuff with similar results.  He showed me one 20 ton machine that has over 10,000 hours on it and he says he hasn't done a thing to it except used Amsoil and he runs it flat out!  He mixes all the gas at his job sites with it figuring if any idiot day laborer puts it in a 4 stroke it wont hurt anything, but straight gas in a two stroke is obviously bad news.

He loves it.

Shinnlinger

SwampDonkey

I've used it 100:1 in a brand new FS550 Sthil brush saw. The only reason I am not using it any longer is the price. The dealer said not to use it at 100:1, but I know a number of cutters that have used it. The plug doesn't carbon up like the saw company oils, that's definitely not hard to prove. The only reason the dealers don't approve of it, is they are pushing their own oil. Not hard to prove that either.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sbhooper

You are right on the money.  Dealers push their own oil and lots of them are ignorant as to how good Amsoil really is.  Anybody that you find that badmouths it, usually has never run it and is scared to change products.  As far as the cost,  it is not even a consideration as you are dollars ahead using Amsoil and cutting repair costs down the line.  It is the same with the standard oils-pay now or pay later in repairs.  If you do an exact test, you will find that you actually use less fuel mix using the Amsoil.  The machine just plain runs more efficiently.  In vehicles, the gas savings is 2+percent.  I have found that is correct-especially in older vehicles that have run petroleum forever.  I changed one Chevy PU over to Amsoil years ago for a supervisor I had and it went from 18mpg to 25 mpg  by changing oil, trans and differentials.  Use it with confidence.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

SwampDonkey

It would be hard for me to make any conclusions on the fuel consumption end of it. From day to day cutting with a brush saw, I saw no savings in fuel consumption. But, you see it's some what different when cutting brush. Because you can have light cutting and maybe gain 10 minutes in consumption time over a softwood thicket where you have to really wind her out to get any ground cleared. A brush saw is sucking more air than a chainsaw. Too bad they didn't come with seat and wheels, I'd think I was on a  Kawasaki. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

MOwoodchopper

Hey sb, I should have known you would be on a amsoil thread. LOL

I dont use amsoil and would not use it at 100:1, Hooper knows that already!

I do think its good oil and would I use it at 50:1 yes, reason I dont I just never tried it and I trust the oil I use now!
STIHL 084
STIHL 026 X2
STIHL 015
HUSQVARNA 372XP
DOLKITA 7900
DOLMAR 6800
DOLMAR 5105

sbhooper

Yep.  My saws are running on 75:1 right now.  I have them tuned about 500rpms below max and I get all the cutting speed that I need.  They should last forever.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

maple flats

I there anyone out there who has used this Amsoil and had problems with proper use? I sounds too goo to be true.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

submarinesailor

I have run it for about 32 years.  At 100:1 and love the way it works.

Bruce

alpo

I've also used it for 30 years.  Bought a brand-new PM 610 in 1979 and have used Amsoil at 100:1 since new and have had zero problems with it--still use it for firewood.  Use Amsoil products in everything. 

sbhooper

I have never run into anyone that can legitimately say they had any oil-related problems using Amsoil either with the 100:1 mix ratio in two cycle, or with vehicle lubricants.  If anything was ever going to blow up, it should have been my old 257.  Back when I bought it, I did not know much about saws and all I knew was that it absolutely SCREAMED with the 100:1 mix in it. I always felt like it should blow up at any time while I was using it.  Not only did it not blow up, but the saw still cuts as good now as it did when it was new.  I cut a lot of juniper firewood in the 11 years that I lived in New Mexico and never had any problems what-so-ever with the saw.  I ran nothing but regular gas at 100:1 mix.  There were also some loggers using it at that time near where I lived and they never had to touch their saws because of oil-related problems. 

My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Thank You Sponsors!