iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 350 Clutch Replacement

Started by AndyC, June 28, 2009, 05:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyC

Afternoon Folks!

I have an 02 or 03 Husky 350 and one of the clutch springs broke at the stress point so I need to replace it.  I bought what I thought was the correct replacement clutch assembly from the IPL but the threads on the new one are course and the old one has fine threads so I am stuck until I get the replacement for the wrong one - my fault. 

Everything else appears to be identical but there are numbers stamped into the casting that aren't the same so I was wondering is there a good way to replace just the 2 springs only since the castings are perfectly fine on the old one?  They are really stiff so I can envision them taking out and eye if not done properly with the right tool.  Also I can't seem to find a good listing of the serial numbers by year like most other stuff I work on.  Mine is model number 96701 18 00 and serial number 0315 05228.  Sorry for what is probably a dumb question(s) but I LOVE this saw and want to keep it for decades.  Looking for a parts saw on Ebay to suck pieces from also.  Thanks for any advice and help

Andy

sablatnic

I place the clutch in a vise, to keep it  shut, and then use a pair of pliers inside the springs. Don't know the english word, but it's the type used to remove segerrings.

AndyC

Thanks! - so basically like snap ring pliers? 

Rocky_J

They are tough, but that's the same clutch as my 346XP. I just horse them on using an old prydriver by hooking one side halfway on, then pulling the other side halfway on. Then just tap it down until it snaps into place. The second one is a little tougher but same method.

Also, crud will build up in the Z cutouts in the clutches where they slide on the center piece. The crud buildup will eventually prevent the clutches from retracting all the way. Before reassembly, use a small screwdriver or scratch awl to break loose all the crud down in those crevices. Then blow them off clean and reassemble dry. Any grease will end up cooking and turning hard, creating more crud to block the ckutches from retracting all the way.

AndyC

Thanks RockyJ......... sorry but a prydriver is what? - I am guessing a flat screw driver thats been bent after being used as a pry bar  :D  - I have a few of those  ;D

Gonna go and try it and see how they work and will take pictures so in the event any newbie like me ever asks this again it will be simple to see how people do it.  Thanks Guys for such fast responses.  I hate not being able to cut and can't afford two saws right now.   

Rocky_J

A prydriver is a good screwdriver that you've owned long enough that the blade is sort of rounded over and it's not real good for turning screws any more, but you like it too much to throw it away.  :D

AndyC

;D Thanks Guys!!!!!!!...... just replaced them using the prydriver method and it only took about 7 minutes to take out the new ones and put them into the old castings...!!!!!!!!!!!  THANKS so much.  Took a couple minutes to figure it out but then went really quick and just put it back on the saw and started it up and it actually stops at idle now - instead of free wheelin. 

I have 5 pictures I'll post a little later but wnated to add one. 

Rocky_J

That looks like the perfect prydriver for that job. See? You DID know what a prydriver is!  8)

And for future reference, Husky sells those clutch springs separately. ;)

AndyC

Thanks - only after I read your post  did I know :) -- and thanks for the seperate spring tip because that would have been alot cheaper than the $43 full assembly :(  Live and learn. 

You guys and this forum are great. 

SawTroll

The IPL you used when ordering the new clutch probably was too new or too old, your saw was made 2003 week 15, and the IPL must be the matching one.  ;)

The clutch springs were improved two times, in 2000 and 2005, but all should interchange.
Information collector.

AndyC

Thanks SawTroll - your right on the nose.... I bought the one from a slightly earlier IPL.  Thanks for the info on the year/week.   After I got the clutch fixed I cut this miserable 34" ash down - firewood unfortunately - ants got it long ago.  Any constructive criticism is very welcome (it fell exatcly where I marked it and it went okay aside from splinter pull but wasn't that much although with my saw and 18" bar it took 9 cuts to fell it. The final back cut was lower than I wanted but ? Thanks for all your help guys.  Took a lot of marking and planning to line all the cuts up.  Wish I had a bigger felling saw but too much coin for a part timer like me. 

beenthere

AndyC
Good that you got that ash down. They are tough to figure out when so little good wood to work with while making the controlling cuts. If it fell where you wanted it, that is a sign of a good job. IMO.

Decay (rot) got your tree. Ants just moved into the decayed wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

Nice thing about the hollow tree is at 34" it will be a lot easier to cut with the 350 :-)

It did not barber hair and kill you, that is always good  :)

Thank You Sponsors!