iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl chains vs other brands

Started by Ga. bow-man, June 27, 2009, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GASoline71

Quote from: Rocky_J on June 27, 2009, 06:43:32 PM
I started out with Stihl chain, then spent several years using less expensive chains and trying to find brands that worked as well as Stihl, ended up going back to Stihl chains on everything about 3 years ago. I picked up the breaker/ spinner bench tools and buy 100' rolls now.

I'm running 3 different sizes on my various saws. 3/8 lo-pro on my 200T climbing saws, .325 on my Husky 346's and 3/8 on everything bigger. My local dealers are all quite high on their roll prices but I have some friends in Washington State that can get me chain for a good price. Even with UPS shipping it's much cheaper than buying local. And a roll lasts me about a year for 3/8 and closer to two years on the smaller stuff, so I'm not buying it very often.

Aww shucks Brian... you called me your friend...  :D 8)

Glad to help you out anytime my friend...

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Rocky_J

Don't let it go to your head, Big Guy.  smiley_jester

GASoline71

LMAO...  :D :D

You're all heart mang!  ;D

Gary

madhatte

My US$0.02:  any chain, well-maintained, will do the job. Touch-ups every fill and an occasional truing on the grinder makes everything OK.  I run mostly Stihl, but that's just because work's buying.  I've had similar results with other brands.  Oregon seems to be a pretty good bang for the buck. 

01crewcab

Over the years I've used Carlton, Stihl, Oregon and Baileys chain. all of them in either 404 63gauge, or 3/8 50 gauge. Some I've run in skip tooth, and full comp, others mostly skip tooth. For falling I always used chisel chain, but as one poster stated for using in dirty wood, or just firewood cutting Baileys is the way to go. It's my personal feeling that Stihl chain didn't stretch as much when new as the others.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Al_Smith

Speaking of Baileys chain,Arbor pro or whatever the name is  I have some .

It cut okay until the first time I filed it then went plumb to the dickens . Like a dummy I was sharpening the dang stuff with a compound angle like it was Oregon . It took a member of another site to show me the error of my ways . :-[

Bruce Hopf

I don't to much about the Stihl 33RSC chains (I don't know if they are chisel or semi chisel). I run a few of them on my 044, and I also run a few Carlton A1 semi chisel, on my 044 as well.
I find that the Carlton cuts smoother, and drives easier, while the Stihl chains feel as if the chain saw is going to rip itself out of my hands, seems to stall the chain in the cut a lot too. I'm not sure why it does that. Maybe some of you more experienced Stihl guys that run Stihl chains could help me out with that, and explain why this happens. Thanks. Bruce.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

Rocky_J

Because it is sharper and it's taking a slightly bigger bite, but the operator is still pushing the saw like the chain is dull. Practice on keeping the rpm's up and easing into the wood.

Stihl seems to cut the rakers a bit lower compared to other chain makers. Once you've filed the chain 2-3 times it's about right.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im a Carlton,Oregon and Windsor Man myself i use diferent chains for certan jobs but most f them are good allrounders a loop for an 18" bar usualy setts me back about $26 to $30 au dep which one i get   ;)  ;D 8) 8) neaver realy liked the stihl chains myself ( I have used heaps over the aers on jobs ) for the money  :o but the same can be said for most brandname chains you paying an extra $8 to $10 for the name on the strap  ;) and if you break them in rite they dont streach too much  ;)

And once you start loosing the chrome (delaminating)you might as well piff the chain in the bin they just dont hold their edge but ive only had  couple of chains do that to me over the years but that was in realy hard going old harwood warf piles and dry recycled timber beams had one lot where i had to sharpen every 2 to 6 cuts in 16" dia piles  :o ::) :( ;) :D :D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Its the old story "if you want to play you got to pay" stihl for what ever reason is the premium product.If I was up in a bucket and time was money I'd use stihl same for a landing rat that dosen't know how to sharpen a chain.Most of my cutting is firewood piled in a yard I fill my truck and thats it ,almost any chain will last for that one load,sharpen before the next load.If a guy learns to keep the chain away from grit and rocks any chain will give satisfactory service.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

GASoline71

There's other saw chain besides Stihl chain?  Whoodathunkit!   :D

I will admit though I have used some loops of Baileys WP chain (rebadged Carlton).  Good stuff.

Gary

cheyenne

Just out of curiosity does anyone know who makes husky chains. I run them on all my saws & have never had a problem. My dealer is my neighbor so he'll just drop a batch off at the house & I don't even have leave the woods. What more could you ask for. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Rocky_J

Husky chain is rebadged Oregon. Oregon makes and supplies most OEM chain for most manufacturers except Stihl.

Al_Smith

I kind of wonder if Stihl might have someone make their brand of chains usng their specifications . That would seem logical but they might make it themselves .

GASoline71

Also, Husqvarna bars sold in the US are rebadged Oregon Powermatch bars...

Gary

Bruce Hopf

Quote from: Rocky_J on July 31, 2009, 10:59:17 PM
Because it is sharper and it's taking a slightly bigger bite, but the operator is still pushing the saw like the chain is dull. Practice on keeping the rpm's up and easing into the wood.

Stihl seems to cut the rakers a bit lower compared to other chain makers. Once you've filed the chain 2-3 times it's about right.
Thanks for the reply. So what you are telling me (if I understand this right), is that Stihl has the rake rs cut down a little more than other brands of chains. I sharpen my chains at 30 degrees with a bench chain grinder. Once I need to cut down my rake rs, I cut them down about 0.025" to 0.030". Would it be wise, to cut these angels down to 25 degrees, and to cut mu rake rs down to 0.020", when it is time to cut them down. to make it cut smoother, or just to leave it at 30 degrees? As I said before, I'm new to Stihl chain. It is almost like the chain saw is pulling itself out of my hands, and i do try and hold it back, and as soon as I reach top rpm's, it seems to be OK, but berore I get there to that speed, it is a chore to hold onto. Thanks again for the advice. Bruce.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
Strunk

Bruce Hopf

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 02, 2009, 03:03:43 PM
I kind of wonder if Stihl might have someone make their brand of chains usng their specifications . That would seem logical but they might make it themselves .
I know that Castro Oil out of Detroit Mich, used to make the Oil/Mix for Stihl. That was 8 years ago, when I did my Stihl Tech coarse. Bruce.
McCulloch
Stihl
Strunk

TRI955

It doesn't matter the saw I run, but I do prefer Stihl chain. It just seems to do better for me. It could be all in my head too..... ::)
Jonsered 2153 & 2171

Mad Professor

I've been getting 5 20" 33RSC chains for $75, delivered.

How much are you guys saving on other brands from that price?

Al_Smith

I think I've only bought one loop of Stihl chain and that a 24" loop of .404 by .063 chisel and it was 40 bucks . :o The others I have were given to me or ones I salvaged from a trimmer buddy of mine and "un rocked " them .Meaning they had been involved with a chunk of metal or something and came out on the loosing end .

I can't really say what they cost .Most of my chains are ready made lops from Baileys or I spin my own.depending on the application .

If I were a pro user,which I'm not most likely I would use Stihl chains .They probabley have more bang for the buck but then it's just a preference or opinion .

Rocky_J

Al, are you still running that Stihl RSLK on the 038 Magnum? Let me know when you need another loop, ya cheapskate!  :D 8)

tdi-rick

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 04, 2009, 08:59:46 AM
That's probably about as good a test as could be given,scientific or not .

How about a loop of Stihl RMC and Carlton A3EP 50/50 ?

A mate did just that and in his opinion (I didn't see the chain, so you can claim heresay Al :p ) the Carlton section appeared to be holding up a touch better and looked better than the Stihl half, cutting our dirty old hardwood.

I like Stihl chain, but IMO Carlton cuts as good, lasts as long or longer, maybe not as smooth and is a whole lot cheaper for me to buy.
The older I get the faster I was.......

outdoortype

I think Sbhooper made an excellent point.  I was shocked my new Stihl RS has 2.5 truckloads plus a dirty stump with no sharpening.  But last year when comparing well used Oregon LGX & Stihl RSC needed the same amount of touch ups. The out of the box hardness is superior but short lived.  Keep in mind my assertions are based on full chisel Stihl RS, RSC vs Oregon LGX in dead hard oak that was laying around for god know how long.

Sbhooper, how's that 359 running?

Thank You Sponsors!