iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trip to the great Pacific North West

Started by oakiemac, June 26, 2009, 09:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Got back from Vancouver Island and Mt Rainier Nat. Part last week.

Here is a picture of a huge Douglas Fir. I had no idea that they got this big. Some of them were over 10' in diameter and 200' tall! There was also a fair amount of huge Cedar trees. I have seen the Redwoods and giant Seqious but I never imagined that Firs and Cedars got this big. I was drooling over these trees and I'd love to have an 8' section on the old mill but she would be begging for mercy if I loaded one of those big girls on her.

If you have a "bucket list" going, I'd recommend highly adding Mt Rainier to the list. Not only big old growth but glaciers and alpine meadows with lots of water falls. Beautiful place. Vancouver Island was also a great place which I'd love to go back and spend more time. If you are an outdoor person, then this is the area for you.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

oakiemac

Hmm, picture didn't show up for some reason. ??? ??? Anyways its a pic of a big tree-trust me on that one. ;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Jeff

You lost your beginning image tag somehow  [img]
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

oakiemac

StorminN

Pretty cool, huh oakiemac? And they used to be a lot bigger than that, imagine! If you want to see some big Washington trees (and cool trains) check out some of Darius Kinsey's photographs sometime... I have a couple of his photograph books and love them...

http://content.lib.washington.edu/kinseyweb/index.html

-Norm.

P.S. Little-known fact - you can order prints of that stuff from the UW Library for pretty cheap...
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

SwampDonkey

Yup those Vancouver Forest Region red cedar get pretty big to. This one is on the perimeter of a logging site way up above Vancouver Island on the Queen Charlottes, same forest region/site class.   I'm there in front with a lean on that little hemlock. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cedarman

There are cedars and there are CEDARS. 8) 8)
Nice pics
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

oakiemac

If I get time, I'll post a few more pics. Thanks for the links, I'll look into those Kinsey photos.

I'm already planning a trip back to hike around Mt Rainer, but it will probably be a few years. They have a trail that goes all the way around the perimeter of the mountain. 92  miles long and takes about 2 weeks to hike the whole thing. Anyone interested?

mdvaden

Quote from: oakiemac on June 29, 2009, 06:43:18 PM
If I get time, I'll post a few more pics. Thanks for the links, I'll look into those Kinsey photos.

I'm already planning a trip back to hike around Mt Rainer, but it will probably be a few years. They have a trail that goes all the way around the perimeter of the mountain. 92  miles long and takes about 2 weeks to hike the whole thing. Anyone interested?

One to two days is more my style. Mt. Rainier is on my list of things to do in the next few years. After Olympic National Park though. Thought I'd be in that one this autumn, but got sidetracked in the woods elsewhere.

:)

Thank You Sponsors!