iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas demo downunder

Started by WildDog, June 26, 2009, 10:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDog

A couple of Saturdays back Lucas ran a demo on the farm property next door to us, didn't think I was going to get there with work commitments. Sure glad I did, Ian Schultz from Lucas ran the demo, some of you guys may of seen him at a recent shootout in the US, he's a good opperator that calls a spade a spade. Invitations went out to existing owners and people that had expressed interest in buying a mill.

I was surprised how many Lucas mills were kicking about local to me, 2 opperators i know personally and didn't have a clue they had mills. 

I picked up some handy hints, with the mill, Kohler engine and sharpening. Something interesting with the Kohlers is with these engines its advisable to shut them down at full revs and not do as I do and back the revs off 1st. I got to witness the side winder attachment 1st hand, when I left I was $310 poorer but with a sidewinder under my arm. ;) I fitted it the next day and for anyone running a Lucas without one if you can afford to, do your self a favour and get one, absolutely brilliant, my 827 came pre-drilled, it took my son and I half hour to fit and start milling.

No pics sorry, my camera batteries were dead.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Meadows Miller

Gday Wildog

Good to hear you had a good day out Mate  you got the sidewinder  I told you you would love it  ;) ;D ;D 8) i had to drill me own holes tho  ;) :D :D

Shultsys a top operator and just a great allround bloke think hes been with Lucas for about 2 or 3 years now before that he was at Timber idustry training in creswick vic about 1 1 1/2 hours from me (i also lived there for a couple of years myself ) I had the pleasure of having him as one of my trainers there when i did the 3 week Small scale sawmilling corse in 99 and when i did my 1 year Cert III in timber production in 01 you should see him on a Grey 1 man bench mate  :o :) 8) he knows his stuff and like you said he dosent beat around the bush either and he also knows how to give and take a joke  got alot of good and funny memorys from when i was there  ;) :D :D :D :D ;D ;) shultsy would a loved the Hardwood up your way as i know he hates pine as he's allergic to it and has a verry bad reaction   :(

If id known you where going i woulda told you to ask him about the bloke who operated a lucas with a knee high cast on his leg still cut about 1.17 m3 or 500bft 6x4s tho  ;) in an hour the other blokes on the corse thought i was mad i wasnt lettn a broken ankle and femar stop me mate  ;) :D :D :D

so what are you upto at the moment what ar you sawing Mate ???

Reguards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

WildDog

G'day Chris, your right about Ian's allergic reaction to pine, he reckons his hair falls out. No pine on the day, he had red stringy to try the 10inch out on.

I recently finished some seasoned narrow leaf iron bark logs my boses husbands boss dropped off, they have been sitting around for a while waiting for me to get over a deer kicking me in the eye. It was well and truly seasoned I am sitting inside while I type with the off cuts in the fire and it sure burns hot.

We've got stringy bark, yellow box, white box and apple box on our place, the mugga and narrow leaf iron bark country starts a couple of k's to the west (havn't milled apple box yet, it used to be used for stock crates, strong and lite the father in law wants some sawed as running boards on an antique car he's doing up) Glen Innes is right on top of the range with Grafton and its good north coast hardwoods 160kms to the east. Dad just bought a farm at Wingham out of Gloucester where I used to rip fence posts on my days off but its an ex dairy no trees worst of luck.

You were dead right about the side winder mate, best $300 I've spent, got a couple of logs ready to go tomorrow after I bleed some cows and if the rain lets up.

Hows your setup going, you'd be full swing by now no doubt, I have lost touch havn't been on the forum for a while the computer blew up and then the satelite packed it in.

Cheers
Rob
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Meadows Miller

Gday Rob

Yeah i know your in some nice timber country up there Mate  ;) ;D 8)  I miss going out the bush to cut Ironbark n Box  :( >:( :'(  Im looking at bringing A grade pile and pole logs down to saw from peter up at grafton  ;) at around $300 m3 landed here to saw 8x8 to 12x12 s out of upto 9.0 meters 29.5 feet long for some customers i have down here for them il be selling at around the $1100 w/sale to $2400 retail but that might be a while off happening yet mate  ;)

You will know when your cutting the apple box Mate ive only ever cut it into firewood  ;) :D ;D ;D

How did the 10 inch go as i havent seen one running yet but had a real good look at it up at lucas's when i was up there before Christmas  ??? ;)

Things are moving slowly as usual with the buisness  still getting over the couple of stuff ups that i had with customers not paying which is a pita ::) ::) but ill get there  ;)  Im going for finance at the moment for a complete new Kara Master sawmill s/h loader and $20 ks working capital  ;) but dealing with some finance brokers in starting to s!@t me to tears some days mate  :) ::) ::) One today rang back saying that i needed to be able to cover the payments the bank he was dealing with was trying to treat it like a personal loan   :) ::)  just told him if i had an extra $1200 in my pocket each week ontop of what im making working on my own atm   i wouldnt be needing to go for the bloody loan to increase production capacity would I now  ;) :D They all want money for jam  ;) :D

I dont realy know how these ppl think some times as i have assets of 180k and liabilitys of only 58k   ;) two little hicups on my credit history which where  fixed up  ::) Which aint that bad for someone my age i think  ;) ;D I have a good buisness plan   with consevetive production and cashfow projections which still covers the payments by a country mile with a decent profit margin after paying myself a wage  ;) Ive also got Letters of intent for over 2.5 mill t/o pa  :o :) but its no good if you cant produce it  ;) :D :D
Hopefully Ill have better luck with My bank on friday  ;) ;D 8) 8)
but theres always the back up plan of one of my mates old man going garontor for me but i dont realy like that idea as there always seem to be strings attached  when you ad another person to the mix :o :) ;) :D :D But i trust Lance as hes been offering since i was 20 yo and hes only helpd a couple of ppl over the years but they are both going great gunns now and lance likes to have everything on paper from the start so noone can get upsett  ;) 

Im giving serious thought to going back to  just being an operator/manager as ive been offered 4 jobs since the start of the year 2 in Vic one in sw  Wa and another just down the road from you mate at Grafton at peters  they are offering between 65 and 85 k + per year but it drives me up the wall sometimes looking after other ppls problems  ;) :D :D :D

Sorry for the bit of the rant Mate But dealing with that idiot today just got me wound up  ;) :D :D :D :D

Have a Good one Mate

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!