iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which tree sheds no bark after cut?

Started by RedHawkRidge, June 25, 2009, 10:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHawkRidge

I am looking for a species that doesn't shed its bark after being cut down.
Our church is preparing a large play room that simulates a tree house.  They want a tree cut so it's trunk and several large upper branches will fit in the room, as if the room is the tree house surrounding the tree.
I've scouted around looking for a suitably shaped tree; found that honeylocust has branching that fits our plan - but will it slough off the bark after being indoors for a time?
Otherwise, are there other trees that retain its bark?
Thanks.
JimP
PS I'm in Western Wis, where oaks, maples, hickorys, basswood, black locust, ashes, birches are common.

Jeff

A white oak holds its bark pretty good, but its scaly so would be messy. Anything you cut this time of year will be a problem.  You need to cut when the tree is dormant. Red or soft maple with a smoother bark might be better.

How are you going to get the tree with its branches into the room, or is it to be constructed yet?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ID4ster

I'd try a white or yellow birch cut in the late summer or winter. I've had the bark stay tight on white birch logs for years even though they were inside the house.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

ARKANSAWYER

Basswood, butternut, sassafrass, white birch and willow are some of the better ones.   Trees felled in late fall and early winter will hold their bark better.  Most oaks and hickories will get bugs in them even inside that will cause the bark to fall off.
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

Kids will peel the birch bark. Guaranteed. White birch is very susceptible to marring and "graffiti". You can write on white birch with any hard object, sometimes even a fingernail.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

low_48

When I had my custom woodworking business, we did the interior of a children's book store. They had a guy make silicone molds off a log. I think he then poured sections with plaster, then reassemble them on bent plywood. This gave them a hollow log, with a tree house platform. It also took a painting artist to simulate the color of the bark, but it looked really good. I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but no bug problems or shedding bark.

rebocardo

I have a WRC/aromatic cedar ? log that has not shed it's bark after being air dried for a few years. A bit stringy, but, it is still there.

clif

I have an Osage Orange log that still has the bark on it after 30+ years.  I have on idea if that is typical.  Clif
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Ironwood

First, ditto on non summer cut. People say winter, but my experience is just NOT May, June July, August.

Hickory is great, though rough. Very thick and durable and some can be somewhat smoothish. Ironwood (American Honbeam) is great, smooth w/ tons of character. I sterilize all my "bark on" products at 200 degrees KILLS everything and dries it too ;D

Maples would be a good bet also, oaks love to catastrophically crack in radial form. Cedar, while rare here in the wild would be good. I have found some cool yard trees of cedar.

Ultimetly, look for a cool structure (root, root swell, undulating bark ect..) and go from there. I would be less concerned about species than structure. I have done alot of this stuff.  FYI, if you ship it LTL (Common carrier) they may not let you class it as "logs", one Company popped me for "Display, Convention decor. material" and doubled the $$ Charge.  ::) I could have personally sent a driver for what they had charged, including a NICE hotel w/ whirlpool and spa!  :o

I'd go w/ the honeylocust since the structure is good. You could also just peel it (pressure wash it w/ graffiti tip) and it would still be very real looking and it could easily be cleaned ( I have three youg boys ;D). You could stain the exposed cambium layer to your preference. I'll pm ya, it sounds like  a good cause.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!