iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

buzz saw blade

Started by rpg52, June 23, 2009, 01:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpg52

I have an elderly buzz saw (29", 76 teeth) that I've been thinking of setting up to saw slabs into firewood length.  The blade has many mis-shapen and otherwise messed up teeth(some with no gullet, half missing, etc.) from many years of bad sharpening.  I'd like to re-cut all the teeth and start fresh.  Is it worth the effort?  And, is that something most saw shops can do?  What would it cost?  Any opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks,
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

jason.weir

A local shop did exactly what your talking about for me - cost $45.... this was for a 30" blade...  Some of the teeth looked like they had been sharpened with a rock or maybe a hammer...

-Jason

rpg52

Thanks Jason, that's what I wanted to hear.  Thought of doing myself, but it seemed likely I'd botch it.
Ray

John Bartley

Many years ago I built a buzz saw for firewood. I had found the basics (blade, flywheel/mandrel, babbits) of a buzz saw in my cousins bush and so I made a frame, cleaned up the babbit bearings and then attacked the blade. For firewood, cutting isn't rocket science, and we had no money to pay someone to fix up the blade anyway. I took a good solid file and started by making sure that the teeth were all sharpened at the same angle and that the tips were all same the radius from centre. Then I tried to set them roughly the same width and alternated each tooth. It sawed like a champ driven by a flat belt from my Cockshutt 20. I still have it (and I wish I still had the Cockshutt) and that's 30 years later. If I was setting up a circular blade for lumber I'd probably take it to a pro, but for firewood......

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

bandmiller2

Ray,it is doable but will take alot of grinding/filing to bring the blade back.The hardest part is gumming out [gullets].The good news is almost anything will cut pine slab.For cross cutting you want the face of the tooth in line with the arbor hole.Have plenty of set in the teeth usally one left next right.Easiest way I've found to set is take a heavy bar of steel one end grind a slight bevel lay the tooth over it and tap with a small ball pien hammer,experiment with the bevel a little at a time until it sets over right.Insted of doing the teeth all at once get em in fair shape and try it if it cuts ok reshape a little at a time as you sharpen.Be sure you have no sharp edges in the gullets they must be round.so as not to breed cracks.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

rpg52

Took it by a saw shop, he said it was in pretty good shape, would re-gum the gullets, re-shape the teeth.  Should have it back by next week.  Will try to post photos, if I get my regular computer back out of the shop by then.   :)
Ray

Thank You Sponsors!