iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Homegrown Meal for Father's Day

Started by Dodgy Loner, June 22, 2009, 05:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

I had the best meal of my life yesterday.  The food was great, but it was more than just that- everything, even most of the seasonings, were homegrown.  I think it was the first time in my life I've had a completely homegrown meal.  My brother and I cooked it for our parents for Father's Day.

My brother, Nathan, cooked the steaks - ribeyes, from my aunt and uncle's herd.  Seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked medium rare.

I took care of the vegetables: sweet corn, from my brother's garden; I pulled the husk back, removed the silk, buttered it and added a little salt and pepper, then re-wrapped the shuck and grilled it along with the steaks.

I also sliced and steamed some veggies on the grill in an aluminum foil pouch - zucchini and scallop squash from my garden, yellow squash and red potatoes from dad's garden, and Vidalia onions from my brother's garden.  I seasoned it with garlic, dill, oregano, and rosemary from my herb garden, along with some olive oil and red wine (OK, so the olive oil wasn't homegrown, but I can see the vineyard that produced the red wine from my house ;))

Finally, I boiled three kinds of snap beans from my garden - yellow wax, blue lake, and purple beans - along with the potatoes from dad's garden.  It was absolute bliss, and not a crumb was left :).  I suppose this sort of thing was common back when my granddad was a kid, but how many people my age today can say they've ever eaten a meal that was compelely homegrown?  I'll have to do this more often! :D

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Norm

Boy that does sound good DL.  :)

Your gardens are far ahead of us. We've been eating greens and spring onions but most everything else is still not ready yet.

WDH

Wow!  That sounds so good.  Nothing like fresh vegies and family to enjoy them.  That was some fine father's day.  You are a fine son ;D.

My daughter got married this weekend, so it was a fine father's day for me too 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

Homegrown is might good, but I'm impressed that you and your brother took the time to  honor your dad like that.  I salute you.  :)

Lanier_Lurker

Dodgy, that meal sounds dandy indeed.  I'm sure it was a special time for all.

WDH, congratulations on the marriage of your daughter. 

I attended a wedding down in Warner Robins last Saturday.  It was DanG hot down there that day - for sure.

WDH

LL, as you know, it is blistering hot here.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Hey DL, you want to adopt a dad come next year? Sounds really good.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

That sounds like a real nice time,without all of the green stuff.  ;D  We've been down to my stepsons place 3 times this years this year for a cookout.Boy,I really enjoy that.Fathers Day was one of them.seems like we all get busy and have no time.I can be out in the woods all dirty and sweating and the wife will come and tell me we are invited for a cook out down there and I'm in the shower before she gets back to the house.  :D Can't miss out on good eats and good company.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dodgy Loner

Congratulations to Max and Amanda, WDH.  It was a good Father's Day for you indeed :).  It's so great to see two of my good college friends end up together!  One of my best friends throughout my childhood will be getting married this weekend.  Fortunately no weddings during the Pig Roast this year  ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

WDH

Yes DL,  it was a good day for me.  I was (am) so proud. 

With your comment about the "future Mrs. Dodgy Loner", I have high expectations  ;D.  Send me an invite.  I just might have a nice oak burl for a wedding present :).

Jeff

We could see if we could get somebody ordained before the Pigroast Dodgy, or we could just use my brother in law.  Yer goona be in a tux anyhow... ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dodgy Loner

Jeff, I'm afraid the wedding will have to wait until next summer (of course you will get an invite, Danny), but the proposition might possibly occur at some point during the road trip after Pig Roast...pending her father's approval, of course :).  I'm counting on y'all to keep a secret ;)

Jeff

Do we need to back edit some posts? :)  I can keep a secret but not sure the forum database can in case she decides to look in to see where yer hauling her to come august. ;)

Dodgy Loner

I seriously doubt she's checking up on me in here, and besides, the food topic is off-limits to non-members, no? ;)

Jeff

You have to me a member to see in here. :)

Lanier_Lurker

Hah, so I guess the lid will stay on for now.

Congratu(almost)lations, Justin!

Thank You Sponsors!