iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

franklin skidder

Started by tapper2, June 18, 2009, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapper2

I 'm new to this forum, and I just picked up an older franklin skidder really cheap. Anyone have info. about these old dogs?
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

beenthere

Tapper2
Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't, use the search function on Franklin Skidders. Besides getting some direct responses to your question, there is a ton of information in the archives that should be real interesting reading for you. Not trying to send you off to do homework, but in addition to hearing more about what your plans are for it.

And we like pics too.  8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Welcome tapper2, you will find out about your skidder here.  Are you a professional logger? Or is the skidder for personal use? 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

tapper2

The skidder will be for personal use to pull firewood from my property here in upstate N.Y. We currently pull firewood with my J.D. 420c crawler and Ford 1720 tractor with a skidding blade that I built. I also use my '49 Willy's truck w/winch and boom.

I need to put injectors in it, (3-53 Detroit) fix the steering column, and fix the J.D. winch on it. Runs and moves O.K.
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

Kansas

We have an old franklin skidder, 1974 model. From the one piece of documentation we have on it, its first home was in florida, was called a swamp buggy. Its got the detroit in it for a motor, a fuller transmission. Franklin people seem to be really good to work with. One guy we have hired in the past to move it around for us says it looks like something out of the "Mad Max" movies. We sure have pulled a lot of logs out with it.

tapper2

Can't get the photos up. Wish I could cut, copy, and paste them here.
When I figure it out I guess. Want to see another one like it.
I haven't really used the skidder except to annoy my neighbors as my woodlot is 35 miles north of my home. For now the other toys will pull the wood there.

Thank You Sponsors!