iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood kilns in vermont

Started by logger444, June 19, 2009, 01:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logger444

i just read an article about firewood kilns in vermont. it stated that vermont regulations do not allow the kilns to be run in the summer, but did not state why. I am assuming it is because the excess steam blows toward new york city and does something to donald trumps hair doo. :D

bkellyvtme

Here in Vermont we have some screwed up laws. Alot of the retired environmental activist- city folk move here for the country life. Usually start up a little qusai farm and bring their political views/money with them. With money comes influance and they change/start laws in thier own view of what is right or good.

John Mc

I hadn't heard that one. Is this a wood-fired kiln, or a kiln for drying firewood? If the latter, how is that any different than a kiln for drying lumber?

I know one of the local sawmills started doing kiln-dried firewood last year. Their sawmill & kiln  were so under-utilized that they came up with this as a way of getting some use out of idle equipment. They sold a pile of it (especially since everybody that could was switching to wood burning, and most of the regular firewood processors seemed to be out of seasoned wood by August or September). I never did catch whether they were running the kiln in the summer or not, but I assume they run it on lumber in the summer... at least when they have orders for some... you don't want to let some of that stuff sit green for long in the summer.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

FTD

Quote from: bkellyvtme on June 19, 2009, 04:46:29 PM
Here in Vermont we have some screwed up laws. Alot of the retired environmental activist- city folk move here for the country life. Usually start up a little qusai farm and bring their political views/money with them. With money comes influance and they change/start laws in thier own view of what is right or good.

Unfortunately, they will ruin it for everybody there and it will end up like where they came from.  :( Then they won't want to be there anymore.  They will leave it changed (ruined) for the locals.  Saw it happening when I was living in Maine in the late 80's.  Flatlanders, can't live with them and there isn't an open season!  smiley_furious3

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.  The "Green Acre's Syndrome" is a pet peeve of mine!

Thank You Sponsors!