iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rooster fighting Hens

Started by splitter, June 17, 2009, 07:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splitter

Guys I have a game rooster, looks like a purebreed game, that has just started fighting the hens, 12, he hasn't done this before. He's pulled out most of there feathers on there neck and back. He's been with the hens for several months now and two hens has chicks. Any suggestions on how to stop this without putting him in the pot ???. Thanks Splitter

easymoney

you could have brought him to middle tennessee and entered him in the cock fights in my town. but a couple of weeks ago they were raided on a saturday night. hundreds of people were arrested some for owning the roosters some for just being there. some for drugs. they had a concession stand set up with food and drinks. it was the feds i think that did the raid. the local police was not included. i guess if the sheriff had been told about their plans there would have not been a rooster found for miles. reportedly the fights had been held in this county for years. practically everyone in the county knew about them. now everyone knows.

Tom

I didn't know anything, so I went on a search.

It seems that there are Homo chickens that cause problems like this.

But, here is a Link for a forum that discusses exactly your problem

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I just read this thread to Reina, AND, she says there are Female-male roosters that do that very thing.   :o :o :o :o :o

Sure beats the %%%% outta MY thinkin, EH ???  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sjh

Sounds like he is over breeding them. Males have a tendence to pull feathers out with over breeding.Heres a real good chicken site.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/index.php

zopi

Quote from: easymoney on June 17, 2009, 08:32:01 PM
you could have brought him to middle tennessee and entered him in the cock fights in my town. but a couple of weeks ago they were raided on a saturday night. hundreds of people were arrested some for owning the roosters some for just being there. some for drugs. they had a concession stand set up with food and drinks. it was the feds i think that did the raid. the local police was not included. i guess if the sheriff had been told about their plans there would have not been a rooster found for miles. reportedly the fights had been held in this county for years. practically everyone in the county knew about them. now everyone knows.

Warren, White, or Grundy? :G
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WildDog

Like SJH said, probably just mating. My wife keeps 4 breeds of fowl for the fertile egg trade and her hens usually get knocked about in the same way, the buff Orpington roosters seem to be the worse. Not sure how much you know about poultry so please don't think I am telling you what to do but another thing you may notice is the hens loose some or all the feathers of their back as your roosters spurs grow. It's a good idea to cut them back with an angle grinder or such. 
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

fishpharmer

I would start by trimming its beak.  That will stop the picking feather problem.  Not sure about the fighting.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

I feel he's keeping his ladies a little too busy.I had some hens that looked like that too.I had to get rid of him,seems like that's all he was doing.Sometimes this will even affect the egg laying.If you don't want him for fighting I would clip just the top of his beak,a LITTLE bit,just enough to take the pinch out. I did some of my hens once.They was pecking each other.I just used a pair of toe nail clippers.They can still scoop up grain,but can not bite.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rooster

Hey,

I have a theory, that suggests that the rooster just recently became a mature bird, and was previously lower in the "pecking order"....where there was a couple dominant hens that weren't going to give up their "sociel status" without a fight.  Often a older dominant hen will keep a young rooster in "check".   You could keep him in a cage inside the coop so that he can still "window shop".

I'd be very careful trimming his beak and spurs...he could bleed out if it's too drastic. (They only have a few ounces of blood to begin with, especially being a gamebird.)

I'm just sayin'.

Craig   aka  "Rooster"
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

splitter

Thanks for the info, this guy just seems to be mean, he's been the cock of the walk every since I started keeping chickens and I have added several hens to the flock along. Yes he is young and has about one and one quarter  inch spurs. He don't seem to be trying to mate he seems to want to fight something. I asked a old timer about this problem and he said that sometimes they just wanted to fight, this rooster is even trying to fight the chicks thats not half grown yet. My friend (the old timer) said to get another rooster for him to fight with and that would cool him down. So I may try that soon. Splitter

WH_Conley

Want my old Dommer for a while? 3"+ spurs, watched him and a chicken hawk go at it once, the hawk left. The little feller might be fast, but it would be like fighting a turkey, probably be interesting to watch.
Bill

Rooster

I'm reminded of a story about farmer who had a lot of hens but only one rooster.  This rooster had been around the farm for many many years, and the farmer thought he should get a second rooster before the old one died.

So the next day the farmer brought home a young cocky rooster, and let him roam around the farm.  Now the old rooster knew that the farmer was trying to replace him, so he challenged the younger rooster to a race.

"Who ever can run around this coop 10 times wins", said the old rooster, "but the loser has to leave the farm and never return."

So the younger rooster (did I mention that he was "cocky"?) said, "You're on!"

They lined up,.. got ready,....and..

Go!

The young rooster was off like a shot.  He lapped the older rooster on the first lap.  Just before he was going to be lapped a second time the older rooster picked up his pace and stayed just ahead of the younger rooster.  He didn't seem to care that he was losing the race.  Now at this point, all this commotion caught the  attention of farmer and his wife. 

His wife asked, "What does it mean when that younger rooster is chasing the older one?"

The farmer said, "It means I need to find another rooster!"

"Why are you so upset" asked the wife.

The farm exclaimed, "Because that's the third queer rooster I've gotten this month!"
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Banjo picker

Quote from: WH_Conley on June 18, 2009, 11:14:19 PM
Want my old Dommer for a while? 3"+ spurs, watched him and a chicken hawk go at it once, the hawk left. The little feller might be fast, but it would be like fighting a turkey, probably be interesting to watch.

With out the steel on them my money would be on the ole big bird.  I don't have any chickens now but in the past I have had the old big yard birds whoop the daylights out of the smaller game roosters.  But put some steel on them and the yard bird will run like a....well chicken would be a good word here....if he can.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

zopi

Roosters just got to be too much of a pain in the butt at out place...Rooster=soup.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Banjo picker

Im with zopi on the roosters and chickens in general...too big of a problem...They are ok if you don't have any concrete, but if you have  slab of concrete anywhere close.....They will make a bee line from the back 40 or 80 or whatever you call it to relieve themselves on the concrete.  Guess if I get any more I need a pen.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fishpharmer

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

Well James I had to have a look at a chicken tractor.  But building one is still on hold for now.   :D  Tim

fishpharmer

A chicken tractor is basically a floorless, movable chicken pen, seems they can be simple or fancy.  That way the poo get spread out if you have room to move it every few days.   I have a friend that moves one around on his garden spot.  The chickens eat the weeds, bugs and fertilize all at once.   Less feed is required too.

zopi

I just doubled the size of my garden spot...I think I'll leave about four feet between rows next year and keep the chickens in the garden...three foot wide chicken tractors made from gray pvc conduit for hoops on treated frames..chicken wire tops...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SwampDonkey

Watching a PBS show on chickens. One fella had like 100 roosters he raises, I think for fighting. Although, I never caught that part. But with all the crowing from them roosters it's driving the town folk nuts. They went to court to cork the cocks. :D :D

Besides that story there are several other stories about chickens on the show, some are pets. I thought the first story was real funny actually. I think a lot of those folks complaining were city folk, but i could sympathize with them and all that crowing. :D Funny just the same when you can sit back from the outside looking in. ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

red oaks lumber

the rooster is just doing what comes natural, by him pulling their neck feathers and clawing the backs actually makes them lay more eggs. if you don't have another rooster already dont bring one in  unless your planning on fixing barnyard pimp stew. cause by the end of the evening there will olny be one cock still standing.
i'm no expert on chickens but, i raise a few for eggs and chicks. iv'e seen just about every kind of animal give birth but, the neatest thing was seeing a chicken lay an egg, it drops out going towards the front end so it rolls right under the hen. how cool is that?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ivey

I agree with Red Oaks obout bringing in another rooster. If roosters are raised together they seem to get along most of the time.  Bring a new one in and one of them will not be walking in the morning. Least that's what I have had happen.
You may just have a rooster turned mean, that happens too!!
If you need to get rid of the spurs, just grab hold of one of the spurs with a pair of channel locks and twist a quarter turn.
Spurs will pop right off, will leave a little sharp tip that will grow back in time, have done it many times..
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Thank You Sponsors!